Author Topic: Why airships?  (Read 111677 times)

Offline MisterArnold

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Why airships?
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2013, 01:42:07 pm »
How I see it is that skywhales eat loads of coal and then proceed to dip their belly in lava.
This causes the coal inside to warm up and lift the ballon that is their stomach.
Do skywhales even have bellies?

Offline Parkourwalrus

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2013, 06:09:20 pm »
Maybe skywhales are whales that were exposed to the sort of gas that made dreadnoughts fly, and, over time, evolved to hold it. With that in mind, I say the wreck on scrap is a dead skywhale with some propellers next to it.

Offline Mill Wilkinson

• Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2013, 06:31:09 am »
Dreadnoughts flew? I thought they were just stranded big warships and the dunes are the bottom of the sea.

Offline Parkourwalrus

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2013, 10:47:08 am »
Not the big destroyer. You know on duel at dawn, that huge wrecked airship, which is also on scrap, that's the potential skywhale with propellers next to it.

Offline Mr Pleebus

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2013, 07:07:18 pm »
Come on people, this is all getting over-complicated. Now, for skywhales to have evolved naturally there would have to have been sky-beasties for millions of years, and most people seem to be saying that they have come about after the great war... So, I think it's far more likely that the Republic got bored someday and attached a balloon and engines to a whale for a laugh, it's easier than building a whole ship, plus in desperate times you have a reliable food source. (Plus who's going to shoot it? It's a freaking whale, everyone will be to busy gaping)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2013, 07:26:24 pm »
Although Muse denies my crackpot theories, I still believe GOI takes place on a planet that is not Earth. A planet where the gravity is less, and the air is more dense. Thus the air airships of GOI world don't need as much lift gas per pound as Earth based airships do. If the planet we play on is not earth that also explains the remarkably skinny looking humanoid species we find there (that all have the same face). It also leaves open the possibility of whales that evolved for the sky.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2013, 11:57:36 pm »
In fantasy we can just say "Magic" as a reason.  What says in Diesel punk we can't just say "alchemy"?

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2013, 12:09:11 pm »
In fantasy we can just say "Magic" as a reason.  What says in Diesel punk we can't just say "alchemy"?

Better yet: Science!

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2013, 12:15:57 pm »

Okay, look: We both said a lot of things that you're going to regret, but I think we can put our differences behind us; for science... you monster.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2013, 07:29:28 pm »

Okay, look: We both said a lot of things that you're going to regret, but I think we can put our differences behind us; for science... you monster.

Darn you I was going to post the thing about science not being about why, it's about why not.

Offline Parkourwalrus

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2013, 09:04:46 pm »

Darn you I was going to post the thing about science not being about why, it's about why not.
Okay then I now proclaim that sky whales fly with combustible lemons.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2013, 11:56:54 pm »
Ok guys, I like Portal 2 as much as the next guy (I put 185 hours into it...), but we should keep this on topic.

Offline Noah es Frio

• Salutes: 1
    • [FDR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2013, 02:29:05 pm »
I don't know if this thread was a joke r what, but I seriously think the developers should add skywhales. It would be amazingly fun if done right.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2013, 01:14:38 am »
I'm glad you said that, I want to welcome you to the church of the Holy Sky Whale, welcome brother, welcome to our illustrious order.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2013, 08:36:37 am »
LDT why do you seduce people to your evil ways? Is not your own demise enough? Shun your evil ways and embrace the Bacon. It's the only way :)) (apologies for derailing... had to)