Author Topic: Flaregun toggle  (Read 5523 times)

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Flaregun toggle
« on: May 16, 2013, 09:49:02 am »
Funnily enough, flare guns are very useful support guns, and I've seen them being used a lot more than before for both the damage and utility. There is one thing that holds it back a fair bit though, and it's up for discussion as it might be for balancing.

Basically, I'd want to toggle when a flare goes off. Let me explain. You're in a cloud. You fire the flaregun and it just pops in your face, exposing you and your target hopefully. Well it would be great to be able to toggle the flare gun to not burst upon hitting the cloud, but instead when it hits the enemy ship. This way, on cloudy maps, you can still use the flare gun as fire support instead of the random aspect of it touching a cloud before it reaches the enemy.

Like I said, it would open up the flare gun even more as a support gun, and there might be a balancing aspect to that, but I think it would be fairly neat to have.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
Re: Flaregun toggle
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 10:05:58 am »
this is very usefull and very balancing.
now the flaregun can be usefull again.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 02:39:30 am »
What if it flared when it hit the clouds with primary fire and flared at a set range with its secondary fire?

Offline Machiavelliest

• Salutes: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 04:28:18 am »
Yeah, when it goes off in your face, nobody's happy.  It seems like it 'detects' clouds.  Put an arming distance on it (groan, I know) with regards to cloud detection, and it prevents self-exposure.  I don't like using that as a go-to solution, but it seems to fit very well right here.  If the arming distance only affects cloud detection, then it's still useful in the personal bubble too.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 11:13:59 am »
Reading what Smollet said, that sounds like an arming time for the 15 stack which wouldn't achieve much at all besides nerfing it, lol.

Machiavelliest makes it sound right, though I'm not sure how the arming time's logic works, so it may not be possible. Regardless though, a means to make a flare continue to an intended target instead of popping in your face because some cloud was there is the ideal for making it another viable weapon and utility.

Offline Machiavelliest

• Salutes: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 11:52:59 am »
Arming time
Ship = always boom.  Cloud = boom if time expired.  Else keep travelling until another cloud/ship encountered.