Author Topic: Combat Music  (Read 15882 times)

Offline Ressorius

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 14
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: Combat Music
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 03:35:30 am »
If you're interested in taiko, check out Kodo (and their smaller odaiko trio).  I live in Okinawa, so I get to see a lot of drumming because of the traditional Eisa dances here.

Not sure if it'd fit with any of the civilizations, but tabla is a pretty well-suited drum instrument, too.  Curandero is probably my favorite group of all time.  Aside from the fact that the musicians are possibly the most talented in the world in their field, I'm also a bass player, and Kai Eckhardt plays a fretless, and very well at that.

There seems to be two main styles of playing tabla, the Aloke Dutta style, considered a little more modern, and the Zakir Hussain style.  Aloke Dutta is performing in Alex Gray's Chapel of Sacred Mirrors because he was the instructor for Danny Cary, Tool's drummer; Alex Gray does the artwork for their albums.

And I bet no one would think the clay pot is an awesome instrument.

For the battles especially I tend to prefer percussive music.  It's also kind of in line with the concepts at work in the game.  Look at Holst's Mars, Bringer of War, and compare it to the rest of the Planets series--people naturally associate battle with percussion.  I used to be an active musician, so I relish any chance to discuss and share it!

Excellent! I enjoy music discussions, Some of my family used to play in a college taiko group and they used to have the group practice at home. I've heard of holst's planet series. I find my taste and style leaning into the Wagnerian-grandiose school. That is to say I prefer romantic era tonality (with a modern day twisT) I have thought about doing some twelve tone patterns with percussion for some combat music.   

Offline Machiavelliest

• Salutes: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 03:53:08 am »
Gustav Mahler would be a good comparison for Holst, and he wrote during the Romantic era, as well.  I'm listening to his No. 6 in A Minor, 1st movement--very much something I would expect from a more European culture in Guns of Icarus.

In a similar vein, though he's a little more Impressionist (post-Romantic, they call him), Shostakovich's use of different tonality is something I really enjoy listening to, too.  The whole Quartet No. 8 is very good, but mvmt III is by far my favorite.

Offline Ressorius

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 14
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 12:02:23 am »
Gustav Mahler would be a good comparison for Holst, and he wrote during the Romantic era, as well.  I'm listening to his No. 6 in A Minor, 1st movement--very much something I would expect from a more European culture in Guns of Icarus.

In a similar vein, though he's a little more Impressionist (post-Romantic, they call him), Shostakovich's use of different tonality is something I really enjoy listening to, too.  The whole Quartet No. 8 is very good, but mvmt III is by far my favorite.

I enjoy Gustav Mahler and agree with your expectations. I will be doing a diverse score, though I can say I'd like to keep Romantic era tonality as the core to my work but I will also be considering other tonalities and theories as well.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2013, 02:08:43 am »
I'd honestly like the music removed except for actual combat music so then I can play whatever I want. Kinda silly having the passive sonar IMO. Although, I ran with it off for months before I finally had to just turn it back on because its too necessary when fighting smarter opponents.

Offline Machiavelliest

• Salutes: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 10:38:54 am »
Though I enjoy Impressionists, I think they're a little too out in left field for their tonalities and compositional techniques to make sense as music that accompanies concepts, like it would in a video game.  I look forward to hearing your new contributions to the score for Guns of Icarus!  Please give us some previews when you have the chance!

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2013, 11:51:18 am »
I have my setup so that I can listen to metal when I'm not playing competitively, but still hear my crew mates when I need to.

Oddly enough, I've found a couple of metal albums that go along well with GoIO