Author Topic: Perils of the world-Life of a Sky sailor  (Read 47183 times)

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
Re: Perils of the world-Life of a Sky sailor
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2013, 02:39:55 am »
Canned cold rations?
Are we going to have disease and stuff in the canning possibly?
Pork and beans, canned breads?  I can see a large assortment of tuna can sized meals handed out from sacks to the crew each day during a voyage.

Offline Gato Blanco

• Salutes: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2013, 02:54:05 am »
By cold food I simply meant food that isn't eaten immediatly after cooking.

I took a course in food processing.  I believe that canned foods would be given to national militaries or rich mercenaries; poorer merchants and sailors would preserve wet goods in mason jars, like jams and pickled goods (Given how the magnitude of large scale processing required to make automated canning viable).  Canned goods would be more valuable than jarred goods, since the cans are a bit more resistant than jars.  Meat would be dried, salted like jerkey, since thats easiest to do.  Sailors would often pick up fresh produce in cities if they could, since a voyage between friendly towns could take under a day to a few days.

Offline Machiavelliest

• Salutes: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2013, 05:20:08 am »
... does that mean the beer on board my ship is always an IPA?!?!

Offline Gato Blanco

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2013, 06:25:41 am »
Lol prolly, thats another good point!  Most beers don't travel well, the shaking would lower the quality.  Skilled crews who are able to transport beer without shaking it would make a tidy sum in well of areas

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2013, 12:11:33 pm »
Ok, I haven't felt the need to enter this forum until now, but since yall are talking about booze...

I never considered it but I suppose many of the southern groups would be drinking IPA to reduce the spoilage of their beer but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the baronies and anglean republic enjoying lagers and maybe even pilsners (it's not hard to imagine each group having a distinct style and preference of beers).

The real question is what sort of liquor would we be drinking.  In the Caribbean sugar was plentiful and Grog (Rum) was frequently the drink d'jour.  What sort of crop is available in enough excess in these regions to distill? 

Offline Shukketsushi

• Salutes: 50
    • [МSF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2013, 06:14:53 pm »
Look what you've done, Mach!

Lol prolly, thats another good point!  Most beers don't travel well, the shaking would lower the quality.  Skilled crews who are able to transport beer without shaking it would make a tidy sum in well of areas

That's pretty great, actually. I want to be esteemed for delivering beer of the best quality, haha.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2013, 07:21:50 pm »
Wine that hasn't been shocked by travel?  I can see a lucrative trade in making stabilizers for alcohol storage and transportation.

Offline Machiavelliest

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2013, 09:53:18 pm »
We'll fly really high and let the cold at altitude lager our beer for us.

Offline Gato Blanco

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2013, 12:24:46 am »
The drop in air pressure might cause the vats to explode.

Speaking of explosions, how do you think they devleoped all the different kinds of ammo (Lesmok, heatsink, greased, etc.), and how did they standardize them (Lol lesmok in flamers)?

Offline Machiavelliest

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2013, 12:27:23 am »
Nope, I'm pretty sure you have to vent your containers anyway, since the yeast produces carbon dioxide.  You'd just have to bottle it back down on the ground if you wanted it carbonated.

As for ammo, nobody loads charged .45 ammo in a clip.  But people do use hollow points, or rubber bullets.  To get around the confusing bit there about how ammo works with all guns, I usually just consider it as a classification of ammo to bring.  For example, there are many sizes of DU rounds, or many calibers of hollow points, but they all fall under one classification.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 12:29:28 am by Machiavelliest »

Offline Gato Blanco

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2013, 12:42:42 am »
Cool.  I can understand some ammo types; incendiary might have phosporous, heavy ammo uses dense materials like depeled uranium, burst would pack more explosives in the head, but what are the mechanics behind lochnegar, lesmok, heatsink, greased and charged ammo?

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2013, 01:38:19 am »
We could reasonably say that the game space isnt able to show some kind of function a gunner would do to adjust the abilities of their gun.  Adding an extended barrel, having more explosive powder in a shot, putting some kind of flame retardant on the weapon similar to a chem spray, but reduces the explosive velocity.

Here's a question, brass collection.  Hot shells falling onto the deck present a hazard, but metal is expensive and you would want to recapture as much as you could to cut down on ammo cost.  So guns have hoppers for the spent rounds on the side?

Offline Gato Blanco

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2013, 01:44:45 am »
Makes sense, might be more difficult for the heavy weapons, and the small mortar.  XD

Bringing it back to ammo, I know it would be too much to show in game, but we're talking lore here.  How did it get re/discovered?  What are the mechanics behind it?

Offline Machiavelliest

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2013, 01:51:50 am »
Throw it overboard down into the scrap heap that appears to be the world below.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2013, 04:54:47 am »
I'm not entirely sure where to speculate on that point, the ammunition isn't something I can easily wrap my head around as I'm familiar with the military basics I was taught in infantry school, sorta a mental block to think there can be more to it.

What about fuel storage for the engines?  Does each engine have its own tank or do they feed from the same area?  Would it be wiser to separate them incase of damage?
I also keep thinking that ship crews might be tethered to something on the ship to stop them from falling off during bad weather or combat.  Like a zip line attached to the boom or to a combing or railing.