Author Topic: Ammo supply and demand  (Read 8359 times)

Offline Erragal

• Salutes: 0
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Ammo supply and demand
« on: November 29, 2013, 12:14:34 pm »
So one thing that I am seeing happening is the balance of weapons and you get the meta builds. A patch comes and the meta changes and a lot of people jump on that build. I know I am guilty of doing it also, so I was thinking how about setting up some supply and demand system. The more one type of weapon is used the greater the demand for that ammo is. To keep up with the demand manufacturing has to cut corners so that means a lower quality grade of ammo (less damage, more spread, less range, ect). On the other side a weapon type that isn't used as much the ammo is better so you can get bonuses to the ammo. If this was a system that could be built into the game it would help encourage more mixes of builds and prob save the dervs some time.

Offline Erheller

• Salutes: 9
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Ammo supply and demand
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 03:41:26 pm »
Valve tried doing something like this with Counter-Strike: Source. The more a gun was used, the more it cost, and vice versa.

And it failed pretty badly. The deagle, a gun that usually costs $800, cost upwards of $23,000. According to tvtropes, a gun costs negative money at one point.

The point, is, popularity is not necessarily correlated with balance. If everyone started using harpoon squids, the game will interpret harpoons as being supremely OP and nerf them out of existence while giving every other gun a boost.

Almost every Goldfish I see has a Hwacha on its front now. Does this mean that the Hwacha is overpowered? No. Nerfing the hwacha at this point will just make less people use the goldfish in general, which is counter to what the system is trying to fix.

I do agree that meta builds are seen a little too much. But there are better ways of balancing a game than leaving it in the hands of a math equation.

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 08:21:12 am »
I could only find this interesting / fair in adventure mode.

If you are tired of the meta, try and break it. So far crafeksterty from my clan have had succes with his brawling spire and aeronautical knights are doing some things with a mobula atm.
The squid have also shown potential as both a disabling ship and a high dps ship if it gets behind an enemy.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 02:05:46 pm »
In my opinion the squid has always been a well versed ship.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 02:21:15 am »
Game balancing is best handled by a human, or whatever species awkm is. This might be interesting for adventure mode, but for the competitive PvP action of the current game I don't think it would work out.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 10:30:55 am »

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 02:36:50 am »
this will make the game more fair and supports creating different wicked builds that could work.

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 02:14:59 pm »
this will make the game more fair and supports creating different wicked builds that could work.

it would not make the game more fair.

if someone uses a metabuild you could use a metabuild yourself.
if other guns are stronger based on better overall ammo that your gunning equipment cant make up for, then its not fair.