Author Topic: Something fundamentally broken about Crazy King  (Read 13007 times)

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
Re: Something fundamentally broken about Crazy King
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 12:04:59 pm »
In case no one has explained resource race to you, all 5 points were active at once, and the first team to 1800 points won. So you would send a ship to each point instead of taking all your ships to one point. Depending on how teams divided, you could have each ship fighting 1v1 duels for a point to cap it, or you could have 1 battle raging all game, while the 2 free ships from each side cap one point each, then rotate to the next one and take it back from the enemy. It was interesting. A nice change of pace from the current system.

Maybe a nice balance between not having resource race and not giving the holding team a bigger advantage would be to enforce a dead period on every point (not long, just 20-30 seconds or so) before activating a random point. This encourages teams to take risks and send a ship to every point, or to meet at the center to have a short route to any point. You can make an all out attack on a low timer point to try to take it back, because if you fail you can still re-spawn before the next point activates.
This would sort of help re-balance teams after each point. You couldn't just wreck your opposition at the first point then roll that advantage through the rest of the game.

It would also bring back a little of the resource race feel of "I am responsible for this point. My team is depending on me. I can't die here and let them down" if your team takes the route of splitting up to sit on 3 of the 5 possible points.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
Re: Something fundamentally broken about Crazy King
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 01:22:40 pm »
I'm just against killing influencing the contesting of capture points. Sure you could try splitting your team, but the best tactic would be to have everyone on the point defending it. Each kill you get when they try to take the point adds to your score. Then just zerg to the next point as it's about to become active. To counter this, you'd have to bring your whole team to try and take a point, because anything less than they have, and you're at a huge disadvantage. Of course you could give up on the point and move your ships to the next one, but you know that all of the enemy ships are going to be heading there next.

Splitting your team isn't really advantageous in this situation. You can have two hold the point, and the other two head to secure the next one; but then you  don't get points for killing them outside of the control zone, and risk running into the whole enemy team working together, easily defeating your split group.

Right now there's a large focus on reaching the point first, and then worrying about controlling it. You can still zerg around with your whole team, but a small delay through interference can let the other team capture the point, then you have to fight for control over it, which is another tough long battle, and when you finally win, it's just about to change over.

To have the system put into place, kills at the point have to be worth it. If it barely does anything, and the best way to win is to reach the point first and hold it instead of murderlating, why put it in? It wouldn't discourage suiciding by itself either if it only counted when they're near the point.

----

Changing how the spawns work is the simplest solution without bringing extra mechanics into play. Although it's probably the most boring. I do like some of Redria's ideas on how to spice things up, especially the first one.

Resource race was a lot of fun, but there wasn't a lot of actual combat, so it was rather boring for the crew. Most players would just jump from point to point, trying to cap them all, generally the teams just chasing each other in circles with combat once in a while. I'd love if it came back with some changes to encourage actually defending points instead of skipping around and capping as many as you can (That's mostly blamed by the achievement system, and probably why a lot of capture point achievements seem way out of whack. It used to be much easier to capture several of them in one game).