Author Topic: Theoretical tool: Welding Torch and repair over time.  (Read 8026 times)

Offline Naoura

• Salutes: 25
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
Theoretical tool: Welding Torch and repair over time.
« on: September 19, 2016, 08:16:27 pm »
An idea that I've had kicking around for a long while, but didn't know if it would completely mess up standing strategies, but it could be useful and just a bit of variety to the game. The primary idea behind this is to try and slow the bleed on incoming damage without causing too harsh a penalty.

Welding Torch: Low repair/rebuild over time, incurs no cooldown penalty.

30 repair per second.
3 rebuild per second.
Cooldown N/A

The idea behind the Welding Torch is fairly simple, being able to camp a single component for some time, in the event that few other components are being damaged aside from one. This would give a slow, nonspecialized repair/rebuild over time, and allow for synergy between engineers, where one would be able to camp hull or balloon against incoming damage before the other engineer can come by with a mallet, making a delicate dance both between incoming damage and between both engineers. The general idea for it is so that an engineer wouldn’t have to deal with the cooldown, but would be rebuilding and repairing very slowly, making it somewhat inefficient to repair on its own, but with proper synergy between the engineers, they could potentially try to out-repair incoming damage.

Offline Lu Lu

• Salutes: 12
    • [zl0t]
    • View Profile
Re: Theoretical tool: Welding Torch and repair over time.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 11:02:59 pm »
Eh, what if all 4 crew members had one and camped a galleon hull?

Offline Naoura

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 11:58:42 pm »
Possibly make it so that the effect doesn't stack. Repair would but not rebuild. And then you'd have no one on weapons. So your ship would be difficult to completely kill, but also wouldn't be able to fight back long enough to be worth bringing.

Offline Huskarr

• Salutes: 29
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 08:15:46 am »
Ok so what tool should I drop in favour of this?
The first thing that comes to mind is the mallet, the Welding torch is numerically better, but I raise you that the cooldown is not a dissadvantage when you are simply under light fire and not camping.
Imagine you're engineering on a mob. Mobs are good because everyone shoots. Now to get 250 HP repair you have to stand there holding click for a little more than 8 seconds. Those are 8 seconds you're not shooting.
I raise you, that you can't drop the mallet, because you have to repair multiple things.
You can't drop Spanner because you need to rebuild things.
You might be able to drop the Fire tool, but I think that a buff hammer is more usefull then.
Wrench still outrebuilds the torch, but I think this would be the tool to drop, especially for gunners and captains.

It is a very sittuational tool. A third engineer could bring it for camping, especially on a galleon.

Also if A component is being torched and someone mallets it will it still be torched?
And if a component is on cooldown can it still be torched?

Offline Naoura

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 10:57:25 am »
The third engineer is kind of the idea behind it, and ships that are going to be tanking more than other ships are exactly what the torch is designed for. It's built to be semi-situational on ships like the Galleon, the Pyra, and possibly the Goldie. The idea being that, on ships that don't need everyone on the guns all of the time, or don't need as many people on guns at the time being, the Torch would be a useful tool to slow the damage of incoming before a large repair is needed. Think of it more like tying a bandage rather than cauterizing the wound.

Part of the reasoning for it is simply to slow the damage, rather than stop it entirely. The slow repair speed makes it weak in comparison to the other tools for mass repair, but strong in trying to keep a component from falling under light to medium fire. It isn't supposed to fully take the job of any of the other tools, and is instead supposed to supplement them.

And to answer your last two questions, if a component is hit with any repair tools while it's being torched, it's put on the same cooldown just like normal. The idea of it is to slow the intake of damage until the regular tool can come and deal the larger repair, without putting it on any sort of cooldown. That way, in the event of catastrophic damage to another component, you could simply call to your team that, say, the hull needs a malleting, you can run off and start work on rebuilding an engine while your teammate mallets the hull. Or else the captain wrench's the hull on a Pyra.

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 11:25:28 am »
Sounds like a similar idea to using the spanner to repair light damage until enough damage is received to warrant a mallet.

Iono when i would want it though. Very situational and specific. I would say a tool that lowers the cooldown would accomplosh the same thing you want and be a little more viable. And overpowered probably.

Offline Naoura

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 12:10:50 pm »
That's kind of what I was going for Solid, but dealing it a little bit faster than the spanner, and still being a tiny bit weak on the repair.

I know it's highly situational, and that's kind of what I was hoping for it. Challenging enough that high-level players would know when to use it, and easy enough to use so that if a lower level player takes it, they can still be useful while not locking a higher-level engineer off of the component by hitting it at the wrong time. Like the gunner trying to "help" by using the wrench while you have the mallet, waiting for the CD to finish.

This way, if a lower level player brings it, they can be viable even if they are mostly standing still, while a higher level player would know when to switch off and on with it, and when to switch for something with a little more kick.

Offline Naoura

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 12:27:10 pm »
Also, thoughts on the fact that there are no Stamina tools. Nothing that buffs or detracts from stamina usage, which is frankly rather odd. They implement a system and then have nno tools to play around with it?

The below would be usable by any member of the crew, but would take the slot of a piloting tool. The risk/Reward of this comes from the need for speed or the ability to use Stamina more effectively, but not have the ability to spot. None of the below would effect the one who is actively using the tool, so as to keep it somewhat balanced.

Whiskey Ration: Increase crew stamina by 20%, reduces stamina regen by 15% for as long as it is active.

Double-Quick: Increases Stamina regeneration by 20%, reduces stamina by 15% for as long as it is active.

Rally Cry: Stamina usage is unlimited for 8 seconds, 15s cooldown

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 01:26:59 pm »
I like these. I likke that it only helps others and not the user.

Seems balanced too since it has to be active. Minus the last one. They should all require the user to be using the tool instead of a quick swap with a cooldown

Offline Naoura

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 01:30:18 pm »
I can agree on the last point, but I figured it would work better with a CD, as it gives unlimited stamina. Rally Cry would be more for a supporting role on the ship, like the gunner, since he probably doesn't need to spot as often, or else one of the engineers who would be focusing on repairing everything so that the captain and gunner can force the ship or weapons to their breaking point.

Offline Naoura

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 12:47:07 pm »
Small Caliber rounds:

-40% damage, +20% projectile spread, -15% range, -30% AoE, +80% rate of fire, +50% clip size

In response to a post I saw that was asking for a nerf on Greased ammunition’s range, due to its’ overuse in most situations, I present an alternative; much needed content that does roughly the same thing, and some variation on the common ammunition types that already exist.

The idea behind Small Caliber rounds is as an extreme close range option, sacrificing a majority of the weapon’s power for an absolute deluge of rounds hitting the target. On a brawler ship, or on a map with very tight quarters with few options, Small Caliber rounds would give the option to switch to a much faster firing weapon with a much larger pool of ammunition than Greased would offer. Wildly inaccurate at best, the rounds would be semi-situational, but could be very powerful on light weaponry.