Author Topic: Heavy weapon: Skeet Cannon  (Read 6058 times)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Heavy weapon: Skeet Cannon
« on: April 29, 2016, 04:44:25 pm »
I briefly head something on the fireside about a dual mode gun suggested. I am not sure exactly what it was, but this is my take on it.

You have a large skeet thrower that flings large disks. They are somewhat like unarmed mines in a disc shape, but with a more flat flight arc (like a Frisbee). They do little to no damage if they hit a target. The secondary of the weapon is a small accurate shotgun that also does little damage to a target, likely a bit of piercing and fire, with a good chance of starting fires. However, if the light gun hits the large skeet, it creates a spectacular explosion that damages all ships around it.

The small gun would use piercing incendiary slugs to penetrate and ignite/trigger the target disc.

Other guns that have piercing and fire starting abilities would also trigger the explosion. This would include Hades by default, and Gatling or Merc with incendiary rounds. This would add an interesting, even higher skill effect since the skeet would actually fly further than its onboard gun could shoot. You could fire a disk, then shoot it down with incend Merc. Or, if you are unlucky, it could be shot by an enemy just as it launches with incendairy Gat and explode your own ship.

It effect, this would be a high skill, high risk, high reward large version of the mine launcher.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Re: Heavy weapon: Skeet Cannon
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 04:55:21 pm »
Because the Mine launcher is not high skill, high risk, high reward enough for you? It is interesting but I can imagine lesmok flame throwers becoming like shields to protect ships from this thing. Also why bother with 2ndary fire when you can have another gun on the ship provide the pop?

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 05:00:28 pm »
Because the Mine launcher is not high skill, high risk, high reward enough for you? It is interesting but I can imagine lesmok flame throwers becoming like shields to protect ships from this thing. Also why bother with 2ndary fire when you can have another gun on the ship provide the pop?

An extra gun? You'd essentially have a completely independent front with squid and have 4.5 guns on spire.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 05:05:08 pm »
Flamers would not hurt it. It has to be a piercing shot to penetrate the outer housing.

It is a heavy gun. Sorry, no Squids allowed.

Two guns because a gun that does no damage and requires a second person to coordinate to do any damage would be an exercise in frustration. And it would be cool. Also, Goldfish.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 05:07:18 pm by Richard LeMoon »

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 05:39:01 pm »
Flamers would not hurt it. It has to be a piercing shot to penetrate the outer housing.

I think he was talking about using a piercing weapon in combination with the flamethrower to make your own "incendiary piercing" damage without having to take incendiary ammo.

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 05:51:52 pm »
I like the idea and am immediately reminded of this thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3InO0uGE4M

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 08:54:24 pm »
That is pretty much they idea.

On the flamethrower thing, it still would not work. Think of the bullets more of a grenade fuse than a flame ignition. Free flames will not penetrate far enough even if there are holes. Blowing into a bottle and all that.