Author Topic: old player new tricks  (Read 7634 times)

Offline scrap

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
old player new tricks
« on: January 07, 2016, 11:09:35 am »
Heya all! Used to play this a decent amount a year or two ago and I'd like to get back into things. As far as I can tell, it is still one of the best things out there with regards to the naval style warfare and strategy I love in a game. I have one or two hangups I'm trying to get past, though.

In a nutshell: it's intimidating. I understand enough about the depth of the game but have no idea what has changed. I earned the role rankings under a system which I guess was canned for something in favor of simplicity (used to be achievement based) and I feel like I'd be misrepresenting my competence. This is further exasperated by the fact that every time I do join a match, it is typically two premade teams vs whatever randoms slop into the other two boats. I'm pretty sure how that will end and it seems crappy of the premades to do, although I have no solid argument against it. The game is more fun when you know or believe there is a chance at winning.

Any advice for getting back into the swing of things? I used to enjoy piloting the squid quite a bit and often tried to do what I could to shore up the lineup of a boat.

Thanks!

Offline FranckM

• Salutes: 2
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
Re: old player new tricks
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 11:21:19 am »
Joining a clan would probably be the simplest way. You can see who is recruiting by going to the docks.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 02:55:08 pm »
Hey scrap the game has changed quite a bit but you'll pick it up

Stacked teams is the biggest problem in pub matches and all you can do is hope it doesn't happen. Joining an active clan can help sway the odds in your favor, or you can try asking a captain to swap sides (swap ship button). Your best bet is finding a good captain/crew and sticking together because unfortunately there are very few captains who actively try to balance lobbies.

Squid is a great ship but the playstyle has somewhat changed from mostly disable (carronade flame) to kill (gat banshee). The squid was significantly buffed and now boasts a hull value of 950 (same as spire). The hwatcha also received a huge buff however (recoil was reduced) and squids are extremely vulnerable to burst hwatcha. It's possible to dodge and outmaneuver a hwatcha but getting hit often means death. Kill squid is a ton of fun but watcha out.

Squid is the most complicated ship to repair so make sure your main engi is up for it. Efficient repairing means mastering the two types of engine jumps and everyone doing their part. This means three engineers preferably with two buff hammers. Two buffs lets you quickly buff the engines and balloon, and keep the guns buffed. A buffed greased gat breaks buffed galleon armor in one clip and buffed greased banshee rips through hull. Kill squid is a lot of fun to fly and is a staple in competitive matches.

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 04:34:58 pm »
Also, pyramidion got crippled a lot, and flamer's flame no longer penetrate everything on it's way, which is a huge debuff.

Spire got buffed, from a glass cannon to somewhat intimidating.

Two words: Mobula OP.

The Muse introduced the stamina, which works differently depending on the class, and it works actually good.

There's huge rotation of players, and some vets got salty and they do not always trust a low level player - if I'd see you for example, I'd be double checking stuff.

And if you are looking for a clan to play for fun, you may join the one I'm currently in. ^^ But honestly, I won't advice to find me in game, sometimes I'm good for people I consider new, and sometimes I'm a total asshole. With weak memory, just to say.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 06:04:29 am »
seeing even the returning players hate mm.

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 07:18:18 am »

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 09:18:00 am »
seeing even the returning players hate mm.

?
He didn't mention MM. If you're implying that stacked teams didn't happen in the old system then your memory is mistaken