Author Topic: Sandstorm damage --> Turbulence  (Read 7417 times)

Offline Daft Loon

• Salutes: 47
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
Sandstorm damage --> Turbulence
« on: August 03, 2015, 03:49:39 am »
Sandstorm damage is extremely annoying, on desert scrap in particular where for many it almost or totally ruins the map.

A possible solution for this exists already in a less pronounced form - wind. Its already moderately strong on scrap in the storms - parking a galleon broadside on to the wind near the back wall will get you bounced off it a bit. How about expanding this to replace the component damage, having a semi-random pattern of winds (with up, down and sideways components in addition to forwards) that moves along inside each storm. To add to the disorientation some limits could be placed on the map and or compass indicators, maybe ships in sandstorms shown slightly faded in a slightly inaccurate position. On desert scrap it might provide an incentive to fight out in front of the opening as well as inside.

A smaller idea - replacing the current flat damage with random chunks of damage to make it more interesting/less obnoxious 'crunch' 'crunch' 'crunch' noise

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Sandstorm damage --> Turbulence
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 12:40:02 pm »
I like the idea. I think the storm on Scrap should be less punishing to attackers and focus on the defenders because they have a big advantage (and matches tend to be very one sided). The only issue with wind is that it doesn't affect ships equally. It can be annoying to a galleon but deadly to mobula. I like semi random wind and damage but wind might need balancing, and it should mostly only affect defenders.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 07:46:27 am »
If you all only knew the horror of the original Scrap...then the one Muse "fixed"...storms with only a few seconds between...constant sand...constant...*shudders*

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 01:16:51 pm »
If you all only knew the horror of the original Scrap...then the one Muse "fixed"...storms with only a few seconds between...constant sand...constant...*shudders*

Dear god.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 06:10:05 pm »
random elements in a game which requires competitive playing is not a good idea.

Plus balance random elements? Thats a straight up paradox.

As for the wind idea eh... would interesting on maps like ck when you can use winds to boost your ship ever so slightly of you follow the wind stream.

e.g. anglean has a dominant northern wind. So ships move faster going south but move slower going north. However flying against the wind makes turning easier while flying with makes it harder.

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 06:28:14 pm »

Dear god.
Ouch

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 10:37:51 pm »
Mind you, that was all before Dev App. Literally it was near constant sand to the point any ship that stayed in it, would likely die to sand before enemies would kill them. There was no way to rebuild ships fast enough and escape the point, just....sand...lots and lots...of sand...and they didn't patch it out right away. I forget how long but I remember lobbies would cry in terror and vacate every time scrap came up. This was before voting too so it would cycle around and when Scrap appeared...it was like the Empire obliterating Alderaan over and over and over again....

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 11:39:36 am »
I demand MUSE repent for their sins against humanity.

Offline Hilary Briss

• Salutes: 22
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 03:58:29 pm »
I demand MUSE repent for their sins against humanity.

Good luck with that.

#bringriggingback