Author Topic: The Tip Jar, a collection of community tips  (Read 85753 times)

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: The Tip Jar, a collection of community tips
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2013, 06:40:53 pm »
If you're at mercury range and you're wanting to snipe either it parks or I'm going to miss three out of four shots.  I don't 360 noscope.

Side merc doesn't work too well on the Squid. It's a close range harasser, so it's usually better to put a flamer there.

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2013, 06:45:44 pm »
If you're at mercury range and you're wanting to snipe either it parks or I'm going to miss three out of four shots.  I don't 360 noscope.

Side merc doesn't work too well on the Squid. It's a close range harasser, so it's usually better to put a flamer there.

It's what I usually see working, but I see quite a few ships with mercuries on their sides and an expectation that I should be anything near effective while at full speed.  Is it the default loadout or something?

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2013, 08:30:11 pm »
It's what I usually see working, but I see quite a few ships with mercuries on their sides and an expectation that I should be anything near effective while at full speed.  Is it the default loadout or something?

I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was. New players put weird things on their ships anyways (I still remember my really weird Pyra layouts when I started out).

It's really annoying when your captain expects you to hit while the ship is moving erratically, especially when you're sniping. That's another reason why the merc is bad on the Squid, where you have to stay put to land hits, but excellent on, say, the Galleon.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2013, 01:11:27 am »
It's really annoying when your captain expects you to hit while the ship is moving erratically, especially when you're sniping. That's another reason why the merc is bad on the Squid, where you have to stay put to land hits, but excellent on, say, the Galleon.

It is the mark of a new captain that they create a difficult environment for their gunners. It is why you see the best gunners trying to fly with the best captains. Which brings me to another quick tip:

Before you ever captain in a live game learn the other two rolls and learn them well. Just like in life people will respect your management skill more if you can do the job of the people you are managing.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2013, 04:19:18 pm »
Salute! Lord Dick Tim, for incorporating thread tips into the OP.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2013, 12:12:29 am »
I definitely cherry-picked through the thread, but I think I got a lot of the core good ones.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2013, 06:09:18 pm »
Don't be afraid to get on a gun as an engineer!

All gunners should take an engineering tool capable of repairing/rebuilding!

Remember, there is no boarding.

You will never win a 2v1.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2013, 12:46:41 am »

Now dont go crushing hopes and dreams. Its possible.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2013, 03:21:33 am »
Man it feels good to come out of a 2v1 with 2 kills. It's not a situation you should willingly go into but sometimes when life gives you lemons...

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2013, 07:26:50 am »
Man it feels good to come out of a 2v1 with 2 kills. It's not a situation you should willingly go into but sometimes when life gives you lemons...

Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with them? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who 's going to burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

-Cave Johnson

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2013, 09:53:09 am »

Never expect it. Going in to a 2v1 should be assumed suicide and then you can be happy if you don't.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2013, 10:18:28 am »

Never expect it. Going in to a 2v1 should be assumed suicide and then you can be happy if you don't.

Well I took is as "Oh if youre in a 2v1, youre going to just combust regardless." Rushing into a 2v1 is never ideal and should be avoided, but you can win/survive those engagements. That was my mistake then.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2013, 10:19:45 am »
However.. surviving (rather than winning) in a 3v1 on Flayed Hills or Refinery is something to be commended.  It's amazing the number of times the opposition can be distracted from capping by just one stubborn Junker that refuses to die.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2013, 01:23:57 am »
Concerning the outnumbered thing thing, knowing the limits of your ship  and coordination with your teammate can net great results. Concentrated fire is rightfully common. However a Junker with three engis in full repair mode can be a stubborn enough beast to allow for an excellent distraction. Sometimes a 2 v 1 isn't just about escaping, but simply living long enough for your team to take advantage.

Concerning communication, as pilot spend some time talking to crew. On many ships (Junker and Pyra come to mind) battle stations are important and everyone has a job. Don't assume the importance of the job is self evident. I have found that after explaining the importance of the chain gun in armor destruction, suddenly my chain gunners are a bit more accurate and focused on the hull. Don't just say what to do, say why to do it.

Recognize success and shortcomings. Just don't be a Dick, unless of course it is followed by Tim and you are of noble heritage.

Offline Papa Paradox

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 31
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
    • Wind and Thunder Gaming
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2013, 02:25:32 am »
RTFM