Author Topic: Night mode?  (Read 18958 times)

Offline Dr Brobotnik

• Salutes: 9
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
Night mode?
« on: June 14, 2015, 04:46:22 pm »
A pitch black map, lit up every now and then by lightning, and a mode-unique search light that goes on one of the gun ports.
Think it could work?

Offline Extirminator

• Salutes: 56
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: Night mode?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 04:58:29 pm »
I actually think its a cool idea just to have variations of different maps with custom or just random lighting instead of just having one map with night-like attributes.

Basically make a night-time version for the sky dome and have the illumination a lot dimmer to simulate moon lighting instead of sun lighting. I would assume the light level is not really hard to change in the map because it should just be a variable, but the more time consuming part would be making a night sky dome.

Just imagine playing battle on the dunes, northern fjords at night, or even the opposite of creating daylight variations of "night time" maps like paritan and such.
It's basically like creating a new map or new map feeling without the hassle of making the actual map. Just have to tweak light levels and work out a different sky dome.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 05:05:33 pm »
transitional skybox=lag

but yus night mode can be done by simple switching sky boxes and lowering light levels.
it doesnt however change the gameplay that much. if we go by firnfeld and dunes as contrasts of the two extremes.

plus duel at dawn loses relevance in this. its polish that essentially leads to nowhere. so I dont think muse will bite.

Offline Dr Brobotnik

• [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 05:09:08 pm »
transitional skybox=lag

but yus night mode can be done by simple switching sky boxes and lowering light levels.
it doesnt however change the gameplay that much. if we go by firnfeld and dunes as contrasts of the two extremes.

plus duel at dawn loses relevance in this. its polish that essentially leads to nowhere. so I dont think muse will bite.

The idea is just a game mode that is all about searching and close combat fighting. Me personally would love the suspense.

Offline B. Hales

• Salutes: 0
    • [C3RT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 11:25:36 pm »
Perhaps be equipped with night-vision goggles with a narrow FOV for more stealthy movement.  Or handheld searchlights/gun lights/even ship headlights!

Offline Koali

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 01:30:53 am »
Big searchlights on a Pyra's beak, and a Squid that freezes in place when it sees the headlights?

Yus plz

Offline Extirminator

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 03:27:44 am »
Or just more usage out of already existing flares?

Yeah exactly, that is why I didn't mention it when I talked about maps that can have this supposed night time variation. I am not saying that all maps should have it, I was just mentioning ones I think will benefit the most from such an implementation.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 03:29:42 am »
transitional skybox=lag

we have night stages. just play them

Offline Extirminator

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 07:20:16 am »
Yeah but the whole point is that we can get more "versions" of different maps with more unique atmospheres by simply changing a variable and having a different skydome.
The thread wouldn't have started in the first place if we could just "play the existing levels" and be satisfied with it.

I am sure a lot of people will agree we need more maps, but since it requires so much work, why don't just give existing maps more character and playability by simply doing that?

Offline MagKel

• Salutes: 53
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood of GOIO
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 08:29:38 am »
I can't second this idea enough.

Just make the spyglass into a search light (maybe a nautical lantern?), with the same spotting capability.

The only problem i can see are the light effects with each weapon. As far as I know there are no muzzle flashes or dinamic lightning for most of the weapons.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 12:34:43 pm »
we do need more maps.

what we dont need is rehashes of existing maps.

Offline Extirminator

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 12:57:24 pm »
we do need more maps.

what we dont need is rehashes of existing maps.

We both know that new maps is not gonna happen, why not just settle for more character to existing maps?

Offline Koali

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 01:27:36 pm »
ATMOSPHERE!

WORLDBUILDING!

Offline Dr Brobotnik

• [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 05:23:48 pm »
This could be perfect as the BGM =)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 05:27:32 pm by Dr Brobotnik »

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 11:19:25 am »
This would make for a good co-op or even single ship game, with NP killer ships looking for you with search lights. Could add a new tool called 'Dampers', pilot or engie, to try to keep your ships quiet, as well as silenced rounds for the gunner.