Author Topic: Video Recording  (Read 10404 times)

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Video Recording
« on: April 07, 2013, 10:26:15 pm »
Hey guys, I was thinking that I might start recording gameplay videos and putting them up on YouTube some time (after I get a mic, of course). However, I don't really want to spend any money on a program, and most of the free ones I can find have a silly time limit. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Offline Papa Paradox

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 31
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
    • Wind and Thunder Gaming
Re: Video Recording
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 11:15:42 pm »
Get Xsplit, it's decent you can record in good(ish) quality, and it will leave a watermark. But if you want free, probably the best you're going to get.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 11:49:14 pm »
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Offline Qwerty Kun

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 23
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 02:11:29 am »
Hey Sunderland, if you find xsplit fills your needs for video recording I have a little offer for you.
Xsplit is the program I use to stream/record (and thus I back up Papa on recommending it), if you like it I will give you the login details for my xsplit account as it has 2 years of the professional license which will allow top quality xsplit recording with no watermark and all updates.

Cheers,

Qwerty

Offline Papa Paradox

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 31
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
    • Wind and Thunder Gaming
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 02:12:45 am »
Holy, ^ good guy greg right here

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 04:09:15 am »
XSplit?  You guys are being silly.  Don't waste money on that bloated piece of shit, get Open Broadcaster Software.  It runs MUCH faster (0-5 FPS drop) if you don't have a dedicated video capture card or a separate computer to do your streaming for you, has many of the same features and a similar (but less cluttered) layout, it's open source, and best of all it's completely free.

http://obsproject.com/

Should be pretty self-explanatory if you've ever used XSplit, though there's tutorials out there if you're completely new to streaming.  Finding a good bitrate for your actual upload is a bit of a chore but the defaults work for most people at 720p.

It's actually a little funny because there was a big uproar in the XSplit forums when OBS came out and basically kicked XSplit's ass, you could see the devs trying their best to bullshit you about the side-by-side comparisonss.  Lots of doublespeak trying to con you into believing that you're just imagining the framerate difference or that you've set up XSplit wrong somehow or that framerate doesn't mattter.

Since you're wanting to upload to Youtube rather than stream live though, I recommend setting OBS to record locally.  It's still WAY faster than Fraps at the moment and there's no watermarks.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 04:18:17 am by Helmic »

Offline Qwerty Kun

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 23
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 04:30:59 am »
Fair points but at this moment I still believe that xsplit has the edge. I have tried both and while I do strongly recommend OBS as a free alternative I still believe that Xsplit, at this point, has some advanced functionality that OBS lacks.

Various screen capture and skype integration functions are lacking, advanced plugins for on screen drawing (as just one example) is also not there. ATM my money is still with Xsplit for live streaming however I will agree with you on sunderlands needs.

Sunderland I actually now recommend OBS if you only want to record locally. (also has a really good and small filesize in comparison to Fraps)

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 07:41:55 am »
Thanks for your replies, guys. I think I'll check OBS out first. If that doesn't work for me, I'll see about XSplit. And thanks for the offer, Qwerty, that's really generous.

Offline Captain Phil

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 04:03:11 pm »
I may have to check this out myself too. Would be nice to get some game footage to show my friends and try to get them in on the action.