Author Topic: Minotaur Heavy Cannon  (Read 44448 times)

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: Minotaur Heavy Cannon
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2015, 01:50:30 pm »
How to approach Minotaur? I suppose go right at it. When it shoots the front of your ship, you don't turn too much, with the exception of Mobula and Spire a little bit. Also, when charging, one usually has Kerosene or Moonshine activated and that helps beating the Minotaur. While charging at Minotaur one has to shoot back the Spires and Galleons too or else they will get destroyed before they get there.

Regardless, I emailed Muse about how I believe fire rate and/or reload speed should be slowed down a bit, to give teams some recovery time as getting away from the Minotaur by moving in these open areas is not easily done.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2015, 02:57:54 pm »
I was talking about the arcs/range and anecdotes about how double merc was so powerful players had to agree not to use it.

I think the range difference with a merc is only about 400 meters. Staying at extreme ranges isn't always an option.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2015, 03:21:57 pm »
Unless you're facing a bullfish, you will be gacing a slow ship with big targets. If you're savvy and either used terrain to get the first shot or moonshine to negate most of the minotaur effect, you'll be able to shoot the gun down and charge in to your hearts content. Personally, I prefer a lumberjack/minotaur merc galleon for long range "f**k you".

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2015, 03:34:27 pm »
With the wide turning arcs on the Minotaur I was thinking Galleon Quodfecta could be possible.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2015, 03:37:08 pm »
With the wide turning arcs on the Minotaur I was thinking Galleon Quodfecta could be possible.

Galleon quadfecta is already possible without minotaurs

Offline HamsterIV

• View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2015, 03:47:19 pm »
Flare guns don't count.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2015, 04:18:32 pm »
Flare guns don't count.

Artemis on the back.

Offline HamsterIV

• View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2015, 04:24:23 pm »
Does rear Artemis overlap with a side mounted manticore or carronade enough that a pilot could leave the helm long enough to shoot it secure in the knowledge that the main guns won't drift out of arc while he is away?

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2015, 04:25:37 pm »
The minotaur is an interesting gun. I don't use it that often, but I feel it's pretty good where it's at. I keep seeing mino-fish for some reason, and those are generally pointless. I've also gone against a full clan team using two galleons with one double minotaur and the other with one minotaur and a lumberjack. On paritan. While it was pretty frustrating having to deal with that many minotaurs, it wasn't a hopeless situation and ended up being a pretty close game (despite having a pub crew and an ally who never seemed to be in combat until it was time for him to be destroyed). With a competent crew and ally, it probably would have been a one sided match.

I think the minotaur is really nice for the galleon, allowing it to push ships back when they try to pin it down by popping the balloon over and over and staying out of the other gun arcs. I've also had some really fun and surprisingly effectively use of it on a spire.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2015, 04:59:18 pm »
Does rear Artemis overlap with a side mounted manticore or carronade enough that a pilot could leave the helm long enough to shoot it secure in the knowledge that the main guns won't drift out of arc while he is away?

From my math, no, not really. The enemy ship will have to be quite far away from the Galleon to let all the arcs perfectly overlap...

You can still quadfecta with flare.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2015, 02:17:03 am »
moonshine

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2015, 12:43:13 pm »
Yes, you can get Hwacha/Flak in arc with an Artemis on the back. In first person, keep the target covered by the pipe on the balloon point.

Also, my sentiment is the same as before. Remove shatter. Make impact primary and piercing secondary. Adjust damage numbers to make it a halfway decent primary gun on a Goldfish at mid range. Piecing would be removed inside arming time, and make the numbers low enough that it would need some help killing the hull.

Maybe nerf heavy clip to 95% recoil reduction instead of 100%.

Offline Lanliss

• Salutes: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2015, 01:06:20 pm »
That sounds like it might be a decent fighting gun, with the piercing damage. However, Muse already said that they wanted a support only weapon, so I doubt you will get the piercing damage.

Offline Kestril

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2015, 03:15:39 pm »
So after playing with it and against it, the thing is way overpowered with a good gungineer.

Right now, this gun does too many jobs well AND has the range. It disrupts movement and can wreck components, and has o.k. armor strip. I think muse needs to choose one role to focus on for this gun, and I think the accuracy or the delay or heavy clip has to be looked at to diminish this guns effectiveness at range, while still making it a useful tool to have.

My recommendations are to
A) Reduce the shatter damage (make it 2 shots buffed+heavy to disable a component)
B) Nerf Heavy Clip to decrease effectiveness at range.
C) Reduce Projectile speed (slightly)
D) Perhaps increase the "push" slightly to compensate for the reduced shatter.

By not touching the range of the weapon, this weapon's niche is still safe, and it still maintains it's effectiveness by throwing off an enemy's path as they close. The gun gets better as they get close, but still is useful to harass at range--a good utility weapon that's useful in most all situations.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 03:17:53 pm by Kestril »

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2015, 06:00:24 pm »
Too many heavy guns do shatter. Another is not needed. Get rid of shatter. Also, remove buff tool's buff to guns' DPS. Lots of problems solved at once.

These are the changes I would make.

Heavy clip does 95% reduction. That is a lot of spread left at long range. Increase clip size back close to standard -or- slightly increase the damage.

Tighten the default spread on the Hwacha a bit to compensate for the loss of laser missiles. This will make other rounds more a little more useful.

Reduce force a little on the Minotaur. As much fun as it is, juggling Galleons is wrong.

Add tracers.

Remove Shatter damage completely and find a good mix of impact and piercing. No need to knock guns out of arc AND destroy them with the same weapon. Even mines don't do that.

Again, REMOVE the buff effect for guns. It has been breaking the game since it was introduced.

edit: Actually, buff could add back the 5% recoil reduction, so heavy + buff could bring the recoil back to 0%. That is a good use of the buff hammer, and it would help out other ammo types as well.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 06:05:48 pm by Richard LeMoon »