Author Topic: Quitting Mid-Game & A Suggestion  (Read 16449 times)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Re: Quitting Mid-Game & A Suggestion
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 04:26:11 pm »
On the subject of clans, it is possible to have a fantastic time playing this game without associating oneself with a clan. I have been playing for two years and have not once joined a clan. So long as you make a good impression other players and keep a friends list of people who have made a good impression on you, there is no need to put a clan tag in front of your name.

Offline nanoduckling

• Salutes: 116
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 04:40:09 pm »
Hi Lanliss. Can totally respect your reluctance to join a clan, I've spent most of my GoI days clan free. Lots of folks thought the purpose of N2 when I created it was to stop people inviting me to join other clans.

One things I will say is I think you misunderstand what the primary purpose of GoI Clans is for their members and leaders. Almost all of the established clans are disinterested in skill level. They want players who can play as a team and that they can have fun with. Typically the older clans interview in game for exactly this purpose, and most couldn't care less how good or bad you are, they are seeing if you are a good fit. If I see say a level 10 player join my ship with a [Gent] tag I know they are going to be at least somewhat personable. Clans also help with organisation for things like skrims, but you don't need to be a member of a clan for those things either, but it can help.

Your situation is exactly why I created N2. What about players who don't want the social commitment, or don't understand the social scene and just want to play, but are new and would benefit from having an established clan mark next to their name. It isn't a competitive thing, it isn't a social thing, members aren't expect to play together, and players can and should leave on their own accord. In fact they are expected to leave when they hit 500 games played. As Hamster says, there is no long term need for a clan tag in this game, but I wanted to help novices with the initial impression when it can make a difference. While there is a bunch of tutorial work and teaching I'm doing as part of this effort the clan itself I think of as less of a clan with a leader and more of a super-friend list with an arbiter of membership.

Honestly, you may not need it at this point. Lots of established folks read the forums and you've conducted yourself well here, so you will probably be recognised on your own merits. On the other hand if you think it might be useful hit me up in game.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 04:42:34 pm »
What Hamster said. Making friends is 70% of success in having fun out of this game.

People leave because they don't give a shit. They bought the game on sale for below 4 euros and have an attention span of five seconds, and there's no way to punish them (or even recognise them perhaps, as match completion percantage is believed to be reseted every month). So yeah. It's not like in CS:GO that you may be banned or something.

I think that we need to have some "back-up" lash we can use for notorious leavers. I think that if they match completion drops below 80% they should get a warning message and when it drops below 70% (maybe less? debatable) they should get a warning in a form of auto-report. Meaning that devs get the message that the player may be a scumbag silly goose.

Going below 50% match completion should mean a (temporary) ban for such person. Or some other punishment, find me a better one if you will.

Offline Pavane

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 10:25:40 pm »
I think that we need to have some "back-up" lash we can use for notorious leavers. I think that if they match completion drops below 80% they should get a warning message and when it drops below 70% (maybe less? debatable) they should get a warning in a form of auto-report. Meaning that devs get the message that the player may be a scumbag silly goose.

Going below 50% match completion should mean a (temporary) ban for such person. Or some other punishment, find me a better one if you will.

I am not in favour of banning someone who paid for the game when playing online is the only option.  It would probably be a simple piece of code to force players with a completion rate under 80% to be a member of a new Clan: The Quitters [QUIT].  They would then be easily identifiable.

I would like to add that even though I took the time to start this thread, I am not angry.  It is mildly annoying and Muse has given me the tools (completion rate) to deal with it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 10:27:14 pm by Pavane »

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 11:07:07 pm »
Honestly, mid game leaving is a non issue above novice games. No additional steps really need to be taken in my opinion

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 01:25:44 am »
Honestly, mid game leaving is a non issue above novice games. No additional steps really need to be taken in my opinion

Thank you for paying attention. Clearly if this was just a novice match problem then it would obviously warrant so much attention. Because you know...We vets who cant even play in them, really care when they rage quit in novice matches. It pains us so to find out novice matches are full of so much fecal matter. You really are a credit to the human race.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 02:41:59 am »

Thank you for paying attention. Clearly if this was just a novice match problem then it would obviously warrant so much attention. Because you know...We vets who cant even play in them, really care when they rage quit in novice matches. It pains us so to find out novice matches are full of so much fecal matter. You really are a credit to the human race.

Sensing a bit of unwarranted hostility, G. If I didn't know better, I'd say you were a bit fettered.

This topic was started by a player with 13 matches (no offense to Pavane, this is a very frustrating issue when it happens) and almost every response from the experienced players hasn't been complaining about mid game leavers, they've either been apologizing for the occurrence and and, a few, have been about potential punishments for this small number of people. I'm coming up on 2800 matches, most have been in pubs, and very, very few have been soiled by people leaving. It's not a problem. You have more games than I do IIRC, so maybe there's some magical event that draws these people to you between 2800 and 3XXX, but I've yet to see it.

And, as a CA I do check out novice matches pretty often, and it's a problem there. Beyond that, it isn't. My point is, this behaviour tapers off after he novice levels. This thread isn't attracting attention because people relate to it because they don't because it's a non-issue