Author Topic: Questions about the GUNNER  (Read 51093 times)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Re: Questions about the GUNNER
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2013, 01:04:12 pm »
AI makes for decent engineer, not great, but decent. I am talking about the newbie player who doesn't understand the difference between spanner and mallet or worse yet tries to repair with the buff hammer. Unless the captain some how manages to avoid getting hit, you are pretty screwed.

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2013, 02:18:31 pm »
Lochnagar Shot, Heatsink Clip, Incendiary Rounds. I never use any of these ammo modifications due to all captains demanding things like Lesmok, Heavy, Charged...

How are the first three used effectively?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:24:10 pm by N-Sunderland »

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2013, 02:27:41 pm »
Lochnagar Shot = Potentially very high damage shot downside, is that you would need a really good captain to line up the shot that you want... In my experience, I have not found an effective use for it, as it also damages your weapon

Heatsink= This ammo reduces the possibility of your weapon catching on fire... this was a lot more effective when fire would immediately force you off the gun... still has it's uses when you see that the enemy has a lot of flamethrowers

Incendiary Rounds= Reduced damage, but the potential to catch components on fire also reduces your clip size... This is a good round to make the opponents engie run around like a chicken with their head cut off... though with an experienced engie, not really effective
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:24:30 pm by N-Sunderland »

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2013, 04:29:14 pm »
Incendiary is still used.. I was on the receiving end of it a few matches ago, and had to ask in the Lobby which of the other side was using it as it was bugging me where all the fires were coming from.  Turned out it was a gatling on a Pyra.  It's an effective ammunition on the gatling - you're left contending with the armour damage and random fires across the ship.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:24:51 pm by N-Sunderland »

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2013, 04:43:33 pm »
Lochnagar can be used on guns that deal a lot of damage and have small clips. You can basically go for the Field Gun, the Heavy Flak, or the Heavy Carronade. I wouldn't really recommend it; charged rounds is a much better choice.

Heatsink used to be the go-to ammo whenever an enemy ship started spamming with flamers. Now with the the increased amount of stacks required to disable a gun (8, from 1), combined with the chemical spray's preventative abilities, Heatsink isn't all that useful anymore. Bring it if you have nothing else to put in your third slot, or if you're really worried about the other team's flamers.

Incendiary is good on guns with large clip sizes like the gatling, but it also has a special role on the lumberjack and flak. Since incendiary reduces the muzzle speed and the flak/lumberjack's arming time is based off of time, not distance, incendiary can be used to make those guns more effective at close range. Heavy clip is also popular for this purpose.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:25:12 pm by N-Sunderland »

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2013, 06:31:35 pm »
Lochnager is a very good ammo, when used properly. As said, its best on low clip size, heavy guns like the Heavy flak and Carronade, maybe Lumberjack too but never tried that yet. It requires a steady hand at the helm, and a proper aim of the gunner. The communication between the two must be spot on. If done right, it can kill-shot a lot of otherwise long drawn out fights that could turn the tide in the enemy's favor.

Heatsink used to be a requirement due to flamethrowers instantly disabling guns. Now its more of a filler or "just-in-case" ammo. Also, if your enemy goes all flamers, you can laugh at them when you blow them up with it.

Incendiary is good in only a few spots. As Sunderland stated, its a viable option for guns with arming times to effectively shorten them. Its also goos for high clip weapons that have the potential to set many fires. This includes Gatling and Hwacha.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:25:29 pm by N-Sunderland »

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2013, 06:36:19 pm »
I've merged the "ammo" thread into this one, since it pertains to the topic. I should have been a bit quicker, since now Helmic's reply below seems out of place.

EDIT: If anybody's wondering why all the messages from the ammo thread say I edited them, it's because I was an idiot and forgot to make it change their subject automatically, so I had to do it manually.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:27:34 pm by N-Sunderland »

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2013, 06:47:56 pm »
You are screwed, but as a gunner you can't do much to compensate, you really don't have much choice except to do your own job and hope they get the hang of theirs.  Engineers can make excellent gunners, not quite so much the other way around.  If you're flying with such a crew, it's just better to switch to engineer.

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2013, 11:15:28 pm »
Burst Rounds are good on weapons with a big basic AoE (Manticore,Lumberjack,Mortar,Banshee) by using this rounds u can deal damage to a lot of ship components at the same time.

Do burst rounds increase the AoE of all weapons, or just explosive damage?

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2013, 11:23:14 pm »
Burst Rounds are good on weapons with a big basic AoE (Manticore,Lumberjack,Mortar,Banshee) by using this rounds u can deal damage to a lot of ship components at the same time.

Do burst rounds increase the AoE of all weapons, or just explosive damage?

It increases the AoE in general, I'm quite certain. I don't think that any of the rounds have boosts limited to specific damage types.

Offline Lydia Litvyak

• Salutes: 40
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2013, 04:13:28 pm »
Does blowing up your own gun with lochnagar count towards "destroy x number of guns" type achievements?
I assume not, but you never know.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2013, 04:25:14 pm »
Nah, that only works for the "rebuild x guns" type achievements.

Offline MasX

• Salutes: 26
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2013, 04:53:36 pm »
Hey mark ! Since the nerf of flak and flame thrower is it wise to still be a gunner on a ship other than a galleon

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2013, 03:07:09 am »
Hey mark ! Since the nerf of flak and flame thrower is it wise to still be a gunner on a ship other than a galleon
There is already a long and argumentative thread on the perceived decline of the Gunner role..

Offline MasX

• Salutes: 26
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2013, 07:16:52 am »
There is already a long and argumentative thread on the perceived decline of the Gunner role..
yes but I wanna hear from mark about it