Author Topic: Altitude based, vertical map  (Read 20991 times)

Offline Caprontos

• Salutes: 17
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: Altitude based, vertical map
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2014, 11:43:04 am »
Giant cave for a vertical map?

2 issues

1. lighting.Caves don't tend to provide much of it (a night fighting map might be interesting actually-would need to create a system for it though)

2. they don't tend to accomodate giant airships.

I'd much rather a giant tower of babylon. Like a super giant juggernaut ruin.
For the cave map I didn't assume it to be a vertical map, more like partian(sp?) with a roof like map.. So bunch of twisty paths, maybe a central area  and the roof to force you to stay in it..

Both issues with caves is easily fixed because - this is a game and not real life.. And so anything can be a thing... I have seen caves in games that are plenty large enough to fit airships.. Also I was thinking specifically for dark maps there could be a toggle button that turns on lights, so you can see around your ship - or hide in the dark. Darkness could just be like clouds work, so your very hard to see in it (buffs and such make you glow still) and the light just removes it from X meters around a ship..

Vertical cave map would be annoying more then fun to fly in I think... Towers may work for a vertical map though.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2015, 07:52:59 pm »
Imagine airship fighting in Underdark, that's pretty cool.

Fungus could be your light source.

It could make sense lore-wise. Surely Angleans, in that cold, must have a grand city or something below ground.

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2015, 07:59:20 pm »
New faction: Dwarfs.

Gun that shoots steam.
Engineers get golden war hammers to replace their mallets.
Everyone is short and has a beard. Even the ladies.

Live underground. But oddly.. still fly airships.

Yep. Muse: We need this.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2015, 08:02:21 pm »
Imagine airship fighting in Underdark, that's pretty cool.

Fungus could be your light source.

It could make sense lore-wise. Surely Angleans, in that cold, must have a grand city or something below ground.

replace water hazard's sky box.

done.

New faction: Dwarfs.

Gun that shoots steam.
Engineers get golden war hammers to replace their mallets.
Everyone is short and has a beard. Even the ladies.

Live underground. But oddly.. still fly airships.

Yep. Muse: We need this.

developmemt of sky whale technology is muse's top priority.

Maybe in coop mode, sky whale fleets driven by dwarves would be a nice compromise (that being the said the ideas you'd suggested are kind... lolwhut? I mean guns that shoot steam?)

Here's a suggestion for you.

Instead of humans finding gun powder dwarves have created guns using pressured air via heating water and various hydraulic mechanisms.

For example their version of the merc gun is a single shot shell via high air pressure. And only dwarves can craft this weapon because only dwarf-metal is strong enough and heat resistent enough (to maintain its durability) to contain the needed pressure for the gun without exploding from the high compressed air.

Primary weapons are slow shooting guns, like merc and artemis that fire in much greater range and increased power (as if firing lesmok and charged at the same time).

Naturally the problem of such weapons is slow reload time (as building up pressure takes time) and less clips. Because released pressure is only good for one shot.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 08:12:44 pm by Ceresbane »

Offline Replaceable

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2015, 07:13:29 am »
I was thinking a gun that was like the dwarven steam thing that dwarven centurions have in skyrim. Similar to a flamethrower.

But pressurised air guns seems awesome. :o

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2015, 09:01:26 am »
That Vortex Cannon Richard LeMoon suggested!!!

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2015, 01:47:01 pm »
While we are at it, let the dwarves be able to be shot out of a cannon to board enemy ships. :D

Though I really want to see the steam gun. But I have to wonder what kinda damage it would do.

Offline Replaceable

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2015, 03:53:45 pm »
Works like tar barrel but only affects non chemsprayed components. Small magazine. Doesn't affect your ship as potential for trolls too high.

Although saying that anyone can lochnagar your guns so. :p

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2015, 05:05:33 am »
Works like tar barrel but only affects non chemsprayed components. Small magazine. Doesn't affect your ship as potential for trolls too high.

Although saying that anyone can lochnagar your guns so. :p

Fortunately most the trolls are too dumb to realise lochnagar potential and just hammer the pilot.

Offline Lieutenant Noir

• [❤™]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2015, 06:27:39 am »
I would be down for some vertical maps, but my initial problem with this is with the piloting blind spots.

Unfortunately most ships in the game have the entire ship below and the balloon up, thus when piloting it can be hard to judge where the enemy is if they're below or above your ship. Of course I love challenges but in this scenario your ship would go down very quickly without good crew and so a map like this would become niche very quickly.

Also most of the guns in this game have much better horizontal arcs than vertical arcs. The first ship to reach the bottom and pull up their 65 degree lumberjacks would have free reign to drop ships down into the pit.

Still willing to see what might happen though.

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2015, 10:58:52 am »
I would be down for some vertical maps, but my initial problem with this is with the piloting blind spots.

Unfortunately most ships in the game have the entire ship below and the balloon up, thus when piloting it can be hard to judge where the enemy is if they're below or above your ship. Of course I love challenges but in this scenario your ship would go down very quickly without good crew and so a map like this would become niche very quickly.

Also most of the guns in this game have much better horizontal arcs than vertical arcs. The first ship to reach the bottom and pull up their 65 degree lumberjacks would have free reign to drop ships down into the pit.

The risk versus reward of dropping blind to get lower faster, knowing if you hit an obstacle you'll crash or be blown up by the enemy, dropping double mine launcher pyramidions would dominate though, the ability to see below the nose and the spawn point has a peep hole too!

As for everyone mentioning caves, I beg to bring up the argument on not caves, Mines!

http://www.weirdomatic.com/biggest-diamond-mine.html

Imagine years of mining to make  some of the huge leviathans' we play around, I think it'd me more legitimate of a vertical map to be a complex mine an opening to the sky which would be map roof. :)

Offline Bronzium

• Salutes: 11
    • [HMCS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2015, 03:44:15 pm »

The risk versus reward of dropping blind to get lower faster, knowing if you hit an obstacle you'll crash or be blown up by the enemy, dropping double mine launcher pyramidions would dominate though, the ability to see below the nose and the spawn point has a peep hole too!

As for everyone mentioning caves, I beg to bring up the argument on not caves, Mines!

Imagine years of mining to make  some of the huge leviathans' we play around, I think it'd me more legitimate of a vertical map to be a complex mine an opening to the sky which would be map roof. :)

Salute.

This is exactly what I was initially thinking with the whole vertical map idea (with some jutted out objects of perhaps previous mining tools?) The cave thing would be cool though, imagine you suddenly fly into a dead end, turn around, and see the enemy right behind you, sensing it was an ambush all along. Mmmmm, the fun to be had with such tactics. :P

Offline Lieutenant Noir

• [❤™]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2015, 03:14:07 am »
That being said, Imagine a map that takes place here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_of_the_Crystals

It could be like a giant mineral deposit located deep in the mines of Red Sepulcher

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2015, 05:33:04 am »

Salute.

This is exactly what I was initially thinking with the whole vertical map idea (with some jutted out objects of perhaps previous mining tools?) The cave thing would be cool though, imagine you suddenly fly into a dead end, turn around, and see the enemy right behind you, sensing it was an ambush all along. Mmmmm, the fun to be had with such tactics. :P

Support beams, giant (broken) elevators for hauling ore up to the surface lots of things to do with mines, like fill them with mines!

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2015, 08:29:45 am »
That being said, Imagine a map that takes place here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_of_the_Crystals

It could be like a giant mineral deposit located deep in the mines of Red Sepulcher

You know it's supposed to be 58 degrees C (for our american friends, 136 degrees F) and 90 to 99 percent humid there, right?

I mean we are fine, being able to tank flames, rockets, bullets, and explosions without taking any damage, but think of the ship.