Author Topic: unbinding keys  (Read 9687 times)

Offline RacingRotary

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
unbinding keys
« on: November 03, 2014, 10:23:25 pm »
The only feature I believe is truly missing from the game at this point in me playing and options in the game is the ability to unbind a key or have the key unbound. The chat in my opinion takes up more keybindings than necessary. I would enjoy it most if I could unbind all chat keys except to start typing using "enter". I see enter not being able to be bound in another thread. I believe chat is more accessible by  clicking tabs of the different chat options. This would free up a large number of keys for user's choice.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
Re: unbinding keys
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 11:42:29 pm »
Nah, the different chats are super important. You need to be able to relay specific information to your crew or your captain that isn't relevant to the rest of lobby or match. Same goes for your team. And, lobby/match chat can be equally as important. Taking away the ability to use the different chats would be a major blow to the possibility of effective teamwork

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 10:54:05 am »
I am a proponent of binding/unbinding keys in game.

That said, I am not a proponent of poor communication. Guns of Icarus Online is about effective teamwork. You need to utilize specific chats to relay plans and information between players.

Sir, if you do not use crew chat / team chat / in game communication, I canna welcome you onboard.
(I'll still play with you, but don't expect me to like you for telling the other team that we are getting on Front Guns)

Offline RacingRotary

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 11:34:31 am »
I in no way suggested communication change or be any less of a component of this game. I only wish that switching between chats could be done in ways, both in game and in lobbies, that would use fewer keys.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 11:39:17 am »
Sry, I didn't mean any offense.

But what is your suggestion to reduce the number of chat keys? The way I see it now, it is pretty minimalistic.

Offline RacingRotary

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 11:48:54 am »
My recommendation upon first thought would be to use "TAB" to switch between the different written chat types and "Enter" to begin typing or send the message.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 12:23:36 pm »
That's actually not a bad idea... I wouldn't be opposed to that if you could still utilize all the chat functions

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 01:41:54 pm »
Isn't unbinding keys done by binding the same key, lets say W to everything you want unbound an then bind it to walk forward again?

Offline SaintR.L.

• Salutes: 5
    • [☂]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 02:55:25 pm »
As someone who is forced to use a controller to play this game for health reasons I am worried how this may effect me.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 03:07:34 pm »
I'm all for simplified control options. It took me too long to adapt to the in-game commands. (the whole press v than press d than press d "repair the engines!")

Offline RacingRotary

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 06:50:58 pm »
I don't see this causing issues for a controller since you aren't using typed chat anyways. The chat box might have to become larger to accommodate my idea but it should not take away from overall screen real estate. I believe my suggested changes would remove the default key bindings of "J K L H O , ".

edit: so keys can be unbound by binding something to the same key after mapping it. This is somewhat tedious and a key such as "ESC" pressed while binding would be a better alternative.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 06:53:27 pm by RacingRotary »

Offline SaintR.L.

• Salutes: 5
    • [☂]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 12:43:02 am »
I don't see this causing issues for a controller since you aren't using typed chat anyways. The chat box might have to become larger to accommodate my idea but it should not take away from overall screen real estate. I believe my suggested changes would remove the default key bindings of "J K L H O , ".

edit: so keys can be unbound by binding something to the same key after mapping it. This is somewhat tedious and a key such as "ESC" pressed while binding would be a better alternative.
I still have to use chat too you know. If there's more button and crap I have to rebind then this is going to be a frustrating,