Author Topic: Venting  (Read 9983 times)

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
Venting
« on: November 04, 2014, 10:53:49 pm »
I'm posting this on the pit because I'm gonna vent.
Angry posts are probably toxic for the community. Let me vent in the Pit.

Match Maker put me as a pilot/captain on a ship with three level 1 crews. (I've won most of the last few games, so this was a logical balancing) This, I did not have a problem with.

Seeing three novices, I thought, let's fly a metamidion. Teach them how to fly on a easy ship with set roles.
I tried to communicate, no response. Not angry yet. This is a typical action a novice crews make. As long as they can hear me, we should be fine.
I explained how a metamidion works. Two people on front guns, one main engi keeping the hull and engine up. Right?

Turns out they can't find the ladder to the front guns... When they found it, only the gunner went up. Two engis on bottom deck. Okay, I can still maneuver this ship to do stuff. Ramming is still valid.

Oh, turns out they don't know how to repair the engines. I can't kero nor moonshine because, when I tell them repair the engines, I'm using Kero, Kero damages the engines for more speed, they haven't got a clue on what to do.

And OMG, they don't know what a repair cool down is. Okay, I tell them (later yell at them) that components go on a cool down after you whack it. Meaning that you can repair something else. You don't have to stand next to an engine the whole time. Guess what, they stay on one engine the whole time, together.

Oh, and the gunner's pretty accurate. Must've come from a FPS game. But when the gun's on fire, he whacks it with his mallet. No engineer is going to make that gun useable. He keeps the gun alive, with 20 stacks of fire.

So the first match, we barely pulled off a kill (mostly from luck and rams) but we went down four times, against a Hwachafish with an awful accuracy. We never took a full hwacha volley, but we still went down.

So, metamidion is too hard for them. Calm down Indreams. Calm. I switch to the easiest ship, the Blenderfish. We have a little mutiny where an engineer changed to a pilot. He never tells me why. He never says a word. No one says a word in the entire match but GG. He changes back when I tell him he needs to communicate why he's changing.

I explain the Blenderfish to them. Gunner stay on the front gun always. An engineer stay next to the Hull and the Starboard Gun. Another one keep the engine and the balloon up. But balloon shouldn't matter because the enemy have mercury guns.

This is where the rage starts. The Gunner is NEVER on the front gun. He's on the staircase leading to the upper deck. An engineer is NEVER at the Hull. He's on the port-side gun. The other engineer ALWAYS stays on the balloon. NEVER leaves the spot. Keeps whacking the balloon with the spanner.

An enemy Goldfish passes right across our front gun and no body shoots anything. At this point, I'm yelling on my mic, SHOOT SOMETHING!

O, and our alley Galleon is on the edge of the map, doing shit with Hwacha and Flak. They are pretty much never in combat.

By the end of the match, I'm yelling: REPAIR THE HULL! STAY ON THE BLOODY FRONT GUN! THE HULLS DOWN! THE HULL! THE HULL! THE ARMOR! THE THING WITH THE SHIELD ON IT! BLOODY ______ ___ STAY OFF THAT BALLOON! IT'S PERFECTLY FINE!

After the match, I apologize for getting angry, and leave the crew to write this vent.

I'm not sure if this is a good description of what happened tonight. But the problem was, three novice crews who were stubborn and refuses to make any communication. I feel like a better player, a CA mod maybe, would've been able to turn these young powder monkey's into proper crew members. I couldn't. I got angry. I really shouldn't have. I needed to vent. That's why I'm posting this in the Pit. I'm sorry if this is bad. I'm sorry if you didn't like what you read. But I really needed a vent. I could also really use a hug...

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Re: Venting
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 05:06:00 am »
Welcome to the GOIO pilot's club! This has been around a long time, since the game's launch. Just something us pilots have to deal with.

The way I see it, you've either gotta turn into Captain Phoenix and bite the head off of every thing level 1 that rear's it's head, or you do like me. Outright block list or just sit in a corner and wait till they leave the ship. Don't even engage them in conversation. Tarcide your ship if they decide to troll. You'll be branded a jerk and other things but in the end, they'll leave and you'll get beautiful AIs who follow every command that comes out of your mouth no matter how vile or perverted!

The first rule and every other rule in the GOIO pilot handbook is: "Blocklist if your friend!"

Offline RedRoach

• Salutes: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 07:02:50 am »
*hug*

I like to think that somewhere over the rainbow, those people are trying to climb a rainbow but can't. Because that's exactly how stupid this is.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 08:11:06 am »
Thanks, Thanks so much.

Offline Jawjee

• Salutes: 111
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 10:16:43 am »
*hugs you tightly* Welp, Jawjee misses a bit from the game, and everything has gone to shiz.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 11:42:14 am »
*hugs* We have all been there, especially in the past few weeks. When a crew doesn't respond I start asking "do you speak English?" in as many languages as I know or can pullup in Google translate. If I have an English speaking crew they will speak up just to get me to stop, and if I have a non English crew I can look up the words "Come Here" and say it while standing next to their gun.

For the most part I have given up on teaching newbies, and stack ships with high levels as often as possible. I have developed an almost a personal grudge against the match making system. If its goal is to make balanced games, I am going to make as many one sided pub stomps as possible. Maybe I will even join a clan, my reason for not joining a clan seems to have vanished.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 03:58:56 pm »
"do you speak English" is probably a good idea. I can already say "do you speak English" in seven languages and write it in three:
"영어 가능하십니까?", "hable Inglés?", and "Speak English?".

But I might start convincing my friends to play Guns with me. That'd be good.

Offline Canon Whitecandle

• Salutes: 8
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 12:04:37 am »
Welcome to the GOIO pilot's club! This has been around a long time, since the game's launch. Just something us pilots have to deal with.

The way I see it, you've either gotta turn into Captain Phoenix and bite the head off of every thing level 1 that rear's it's head, or you do like me. Outright block list or just sit in a corner and wait till they leave the ship. Don't even engage them in conversation. Tarcide your ship if they decide to troll. You'll be branded a jerk and other things but in the end, they'll leave and you'll get beautiful AIs who follow every command that comes out of your mouth no matter how vile or perverted!

The first rule and every other rule in the GOIO pilot handbook is: "Blocklist if your friend!"
Favorite name for a pilot's ship: 'DON'T JOIN THIS SHIP'.

Offline DJ Calvary

• Salutes: 6
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 08:48:36 pm »
I really don't know but it seems that after the terrible "youtuber battle charity thing" the matchmaking system is flooded with demonic little 10 year old boys that cant work coherently or follow an order.  Much less keep their TF2/COD mouths in-check.

A solution for this might me a new matchmaking option that accounts for mics, behavioral complaints, and time spent in game. that way vets and the old community are more largely separated from this new rabble most of the time.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 11:20:09 am »
I don't know if I am for segregation of the gaming community. The new rabble are clearly annoying, but the old rabble are also quite exclusive. I think I should friend more people in the community and utilize crew formation as much as possible.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 01:09:17 pm »
*hugs*
Unfortunately that happens :(

I've had similar too and I'm still quite new myself! :o

Though my worst round still haunts me to this day...

Three guys on the same clan, all level 1's.. (I won't name and shame, they've not logged in since the incident so I assume they were just trolls who got bored of the game...)

on stands on the spawn spot, doing nothing but swinging his spanner, okay maybe tech problems, the other two? chasing each other with their spanners trying to hit each other... I don't touch any skills in the hopes they respond to voice or chat to me trying to teach them how to talk in game... no replies.
We get flanked and they do no repairs during the fight, we die very fast, re-spawn I tell them if they're going to get anywhere in the game they need to actually do something, so they decided to stand around me and hit me with their spanners, no text, no voice, so I took the time to practice ramming my enemies to keep their guns off me... died before reaching the enemy..

had a rant a rage to a couple of friends logged out, came back, added them as friends to watch if they'd come back, they never did, so just another group of steam sale trolls..

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 01:10:18 pm »
I don't know if I am for segregation of the gaming community. The new rabble are clearly annoying, but the old rabble are also quite exclusive. I think I should friend more people in the community and utilize crew formation as much as possible.

The only problem with that is knowing what everyone will do, not enough random occurrences. :)