Author Topic: Newbie Loadouts Suggestions  (Read 6988 times)

Offline vyew

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
Newbie Loadouts Suggestions
« on: December 30, 2014, 02:14:29 am »
Now that Muse has officially disabled flamethrowers in newbie matches, we can now stop speculating and try (again) and suggest improved loadouts.

Rules:
No flamethrowers (duh)

No Hades
my reasoning for this is a) Muse seems really adverse to put Hades as a main gun (see Pyra B) and b) Hades use requires some ammo usage and most newbies just use default ammo

No Flares
Flares are just confusing for newbies, they don't visually appear to do any damage when you hit an enemy, they make green disco lights in clouds (remember that newbies tend to randomly shoot weapons when there are no enemies, so they might not link green disco lights with revealing enemies)

No Harpoon
Hard and confusing to use, confusing to play against (why is my ship not turning, I hit them in the balloon but there is no rope?)

A Loadouts are close range, B Loadouts are mid range or alternative close range, C Loadouts are long range
This is to clear up weird inconsistencies like Goldfish B being a lumberfish but Goldfish C being a hwachafish (I think)

Only Pyramidion, Goldfish and Junker

Pyramidion A needs to be as easy and simple to use as possible (automatically used if you don't click on anything in the lobby)

All ships need to be usable with no ammo and no pilot tools, or silly ammo choices (burst in Gatling, inciendary in Mercury)

Don't make a ship that is super dominant on Battle on the Dunes and Northern Fjords (only 2 maps usable in newbie matches)

I've also posted in the steam forums http://steamcommunity.com/app/209080/discussions/0/620700960643230048/ to see if we can get some genuine newbie opinions but in the mean time, let's get started!

(The reason I put this in GD instead of somewhere else is because last time in Dev App forums muse didn't take the feedback ;))

Pyramidion A:
Front Gatling+mortar, left side banshee+Carronade. Currently the Pyra A has Hades+Mercury on the left, which just ends up confusing newbie crews because newbie pilots tend to just use whichever side is closest to the enemy. With this loadout, both the front and left sides are effective in closer range and have obvious feedback (explosions, balloon getting popped) when it's working. It also teaches the difference between Carronades and other guns.

Pyra B:
Honestly I don't know what do here without using Hades. Perhaps front Carronade+Banshee, left Mercury+Artemis for a generic disabling ship with a sniper side (teaches about having different ranges on different guns). Maybe front Mercury+Flak, left Gatling+Mortar for a jury rigged mid range ship.

Pyra C:
Mercury+Artemis front, left Gatling+mortar.

Goldfish A:
Hwachafish, Gatling right, Banshee left. The Gatling should make sense because the first match was most likely played on Pyra A, so Gatling=broken armor and explosive=kill should be figured out.

Goldfish B:
Heavy Carronade front, banshee right and left. This is like the Carro+Banshee but a bigger version, if Pyra B ends up being Carronade+Banshee front this will make sense.

Goldfish C:
Lumberfish, Carronade right, Artemis left. It worked pretty well when I played in a newbie match recently, though granted I was the gunner. This should teach minimum range pretty well (lumberjack rounds explode when armed but make an unsatisfying thump sound if not armed). Newbie pilots also seem pretty good at running away really fast, so the value of staying at range can also be learned from this ship.

Junker A:
Artemis front, Gatling+Mortar sides but PLEASE PUT THE GATLINGS ON THE BOTTOM DECK AND THE MORTAR ON THE TOP DECK PLEASE. I cannot see any reason not to do this. Even if the whole crew is running around the ship without set positions and firing any gun they feel like using, there will always be more people on the upper deck than the lower deck. The chance of a satisfying assist or kill on an enemy ship that has had its armor stripped by a teammate is much better than the chance of shooting some gatling rounds at an enemy who will just repair it.

Junker B:
Left side Carronade+Banshee (Carronade on the lower deck), right side Gatling+mortar, front banshee. Currently Junker B has a double Carronade left side, which is secretly OP in newbie games for whoever managed to figure it out. 1 Carronade makes it less frustrating to play against.

Junker C:
Mercury+Artemis left side (Mercury on lower deck), right Gatling+mortar, front Artemis. Nothing special here.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 02:26:08 am by vyew »

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
Re: Newbie Loadouts Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 05:23:14 am »
Junker C should replace the mortar for a flak.

Noob junker pilots have this inability to get close enough for mortar fire to properly be utilised. Plus I'm an advocating of teaching arming times whereever you can.

Hell add it on Junker B too for the same above reason.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 09:35:10 am »
lol spam.

Anyway, limiting newbs may take away from continuing playing the game. Or give new attention to those who manage to get out of novice.

In anycase, as much as ide like the game to teach novice, its also not good limiting them too much buuuut i dont know how fast 1-8 really is.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 09:58:10 am »
lol spam.

Anyway, limiting newbs may take away from continuing playing the game. Or give new attention to those who manage to get out of novice.

In anycase, as much as ide like the game to teach novice, its also not good limiting them too much buuuut i dont know how fast 1-8 really is.

Yeah the server is having issues on my end.

And if you don't keep ragequitting like most noobs you can do it in a few hours.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 11:37:31 am »
lol spam.

Yeah the server is having issues on my end.

And if you don't keep ragequitting like most noobs you can do it in a few hours.
I don't know the last time you've seen a novice game but they take AGES. Ask any CA, 2v2s can quite often take over 30 mins. Unless there is no communication or willingness to actually hit your target (in which case, you'd be doomed carrying any weapon), I think they'd learn pretty quick. The mortar isn't that complex, and I agree that we shouldn't limit novices to death. After all, most novices graduate one day, and I don't know about you, but I don't want whole generations of players not knowing how to fire/react to the mortar

Anyway, the list of ships, and the rest of the post look great. I think I'd be ok with instating this
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 11:42:18 am by DJ Logicalia »

Offline shaelyn

• Salutes: 73
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 01:10:28 pm »
I removed the duplicate posts.  Carry on :)