Author Topic: More Matchmaker Suggestions  (Read 4405 times)

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
More Matchmaker Suggestions
« on: October 28, 2014, 04:44:01 pm »
As a player, I like the idea of a matchmaker and I also like some of the old systems. However, I feel that a lot of these systems are hurting the matchmaker and making it more difficult for it to do it's job. Some features that hurt the matchmaker should be kept, such as crew form, but there are others we could probably do without.

Rematch- This probably isn't needed in matchmaker lobbies. It's basically a way to keep a lobby going, but with the matchmaker making your matches, it's unnecessary at best. And at worst, it's keeping players out of the available pool of players for matchmaking. So all of your vets might already be grouped in a lot of different lobbies and keep being put against lower skilled players because there just aren't enough high skilled players available in the pool. Without the rematch, more players are available in the pool and can be grouped more effectively.

Ship/Slot Swapping - Without a rematch, this isn't necessary. However, it is a great tool to have in custom lobbies.

Friend Join - It's nice to hook up with your friends, but you should probably do this through the form crew. Ideally players shouldn't be leaving the lobbies in the first place.

Lobby Leaving without penalty - As mentioned above, players shouldn't be leaving, especially in matchmaker lobbies. This doesn't mean they have to be punished, but perhaps rewards those who stick around?

Spectator Swapping - Unnecessary in matchmaking, assuming players are not leaving the matches. Like the other swaps, it has a high potential for upsetting the balance as well.

Custom Matches - Necessary for organized and competitive play. Not sure if it should be able to have it become a 'matchmade' lobby.

Speed of matchmaker - Right now I think the system emphasizes more on speed, but a lot of players are pushing for balance. I'd say more balance is nice, but waiting over five minutes might be too much for a lot of players.

These are just my opinions. Feel free to comment or make your own suggestions.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Re: More Matchmaker Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 04:49:36 pm »
Since we are forced back into the Crew Form screen from time to time, I suggest that individual ships should be able to break off into their own Crew Form Screen. This is for those frequent cases where I like the people on my current ship, but don't like the people on the Ally ship(s). Also this would be nice if the person in charge of the crew form lobby was AFK or unwilling to put the team into the matchmaking system again.

Offline shaelyn

• Salutes: 73
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 09:26:18 pm »
Friend join can direct to spectate slot directly if in a lobby, as opposed to one team or another.

-so long as spectator swapping doesn't go away.

spectator swapping is necessary, unless rematch is killed.  when rematch happens, sometimes someone will get a phone call, or need a break but will want to jump in later, or want to eat dinner for a round.  they'll hop over to spectate, so they can still watch their friends play, and take a lot of badass screenshots while they do what they do.  when the phone call/dinner/whatever is over, they'll rejoin their friends, if a slot opens up.  and sometimes, when trying to join friends, the system puts you on the wrong team.  there's so many reasons to keep spectate swap on, and the whole system would just be frustrating otherwise, if you play with your friends primarily.  ease of use has got to be a thing.  there's a lot of focus on speed of matchmaking for those that want balanced matches, and there is ZERO focus on speed for the players that play with friends.  the players that play with friends are losing out; I am seeing greater struggles and more time spent trying to get together with friends than I ever did with match list, and the changes that keep getting proposed over and over again to enhance matchmaker would make it exponentially worse.

and crew form, yeah it sounds great in theory.  but as your clan and friends slowly start to trickle into the game over the course of several hours, it's aggravating to have a match, find a person, crew form, have a match, find another person, crew form again or finally start a custom lobby, open it to matchmaking so it actually fills, find a person, and since the custom lobby was opened to matchmaking, crew form or another custom lobby will need to happen yet again.  lobbies of icarus in a new light - a thousand and one clicks to get friends together, over and over again.  see latter half of paragraph above - ease of use has got to be a thing.

time, balance, flexibility, right?  I don't know if you guys considered this in with the ratio, because it's not just time for matchmaker, it's also time in getting together with friends.  the more flexibility goes in favor of balance, the more manual of a process this becomes to join a friend or a group of friends, and so time gets worse for those of us who primarily play with friends...and frustration and stress goes up in a way that I think added time to matchmaker wouldn't (especially if something were added to pass the time while waiting for matchmaker to place you (yes I am still pushing for steampunk duck hunt)).

otherwise, while I am NOT down with penalties for leaving a lobby, since disconnects and such happen, and also currently the matchmaker doesn't filter people on your block list (unless something's changed), but I am down with rewards for sticking in lobbies...but how would it be given?  you leave a lobby, not get anything, find a match you like, play it, get thing?  I don't know, it doesn't make sense entirely, unless I'm looking at this wrong.  can someone explain to me how the reward thing would work?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 09:49:34 pm by shaelyn »

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 01:46:33 pm »
I think most of the community is in agreement that punishing players for leaving a match isn't ideal. However, this also deals with leaving a lobby after the matchmaker puts you into it. It's been noticed that many players would leave the lobby because they felt it was stacked by looking at the levels present. This then forces the system to look for alternative players that generally aren't as good of a fit for the match.

So instead of punishing, Howard had the brainstorm of possibly rewarding people for sticking around. This hasn't been elaborated on, nor is it currently planned as far as I'm aware, it's just an idea that's floating around. Possibly another line of achievements where players earn progress by sticking with matches. My own take on this would be to create achievements that require a certain number of completed matches in matchmaker in a row. Meaning that skipping out once would reset the achievement back to square one. Personally I think it'd be a nice solution, at least for a while.

Offline shaelyn

• Salutes: 73
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 01:51:03 pm »
My own take on this would be to create achievements that require a certain number of completed matches in matchmaker in a row. Meaning that skipping out once would reset the achievement back to square one. Personally I think it'd be a nice solution, at least for a while.

that, I do like, at first glance.