Author Topic: Problems with matchmaking  (Read 132316 times)

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
Re: Problems with matchmaking
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2014, 01:58:31 pm »
^ So we have to go back to 1.3.7 I gues...

I would be totally fine with that.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2014, 02:00:58 pm »
^ So we have to go back to 1.3.7 I gues...
Good luck with that.

Offline Dev Bubbles

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 55
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2014, 02:16:20 pm »
Mehzu, I agree, but the other factor is leaving a lobby.  Of the reported cases of stacking in match so far, a majority of these cases, after we investigated them, found that it was because the original balance was disrupted when high lv players on the other side left.  I guess my point is that there are usually multiple factors at work.  A compromise solution is to cap rematches to say at 3.  This way, the long run queueing population would be less disrupted, and people can still get to play with one another for a few matches.  We could try to do something like that. 

Offline Dev Bubbles

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2014, 02:21:55 pm »
@geo, I also saw your comments in the hotfix post.  I haven't had the chance to reply there yet, but Matt is working on that.  So, specifically, let me just try to understand the crux of your issues better.  You wanted the match list back and you want to show levels everywhere right?  Actually, just for my anecdotal data collection's sake, how many friends do you have in your friend list?  And also, can you help me by telling me your reasoning for wanting to have levels displayed in the lobby?  This is just to help me to understand your reasoning so I can better help address your issues.  I of course always respect your feedback.  Thanks! 

Offline Dev Bubbles

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2014, 02:24:46 pm »
@Replaceable, oh boy, I guess to debate the merits of the old system vs the new, I have to go through all the points all over again.  Our room's heating hadn't turned on or isn't working (and hope it will at some point...), so my fingers are too numb for writing something too long form at the moment.  But you can find me on steam if you want to debate it, and I would gladly go through everything again, but I hope you can forgive me if I don't want to type that much but instead we can just talk.  If that's ok, ping me on Steam. 

Offline Dev Bubbles

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2014, 02:26:40 pm »
@Mr. Disaster, doh, ok not completely unreasonable I suppose, but I thought you hated 1.3.7 as well?  I don't think we could ever win or make you happy :(  We'll keep trying though. 

Offline Dev Bubbles

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2014, 02:54:09 pm »
@geo, oh oh, and about the goldfish fix, argh great catch.  That one for some reason didn't get deployed properly.  It should be in now.  If you get a small update (446), it should have this fix in it.  Really sorry about this one.  Thanks! 

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2014, 03:03:29 pm »
Well 1.3.7 had it's issues but despite them I came back with pleasure knowing that "it just happens sometimes".

1.3.8 makes me want to delete the game

So, in comparison the 1.3.7 was a pleasant game with issues, the 1.3.8 is broken and unpleasant. I had an impression that 1.3.8 is taking one step ahead to take two steps back.

Edit: I really like(d?) that game, that's why I react so harsh when I see you breaking it (at least for me). I bought it on sale during holidays and just played it like 6 or more hours a day, every day for two months.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 03:11:26 pm by Mr.Disaster »

Offline Dev Bubbles

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2014, 03:40:41 pm »
@Mr. Disaster, yeah I know.  And you know that I respect your opinion always, and that we had numerous discussions on this prior to release. 
I think with the match system, it's not perfect.  Looking at last week's data, we objectively did better on time to match start, and did better than the old system on match balance (I can go into how we computed the stats, but let me do that through voice comm.  It is really freezing in our room, I kid you not.)  But we didn't do as well as we expected, which was disappointing to us, and we started to investigate why.  And the long story short is that, some of the same issues we had in the old system about balance vs community features are affecting the new system as well.  But now this is the really tough question.  If you want to in the new system, you can without too much effort recreate the old system.  For example, if you want the old match list back, you can literally just add a bunch of people as friends.  To be quicker, if you want to help us teach new players, you'll have the old match list back pretty much right away.  If you want to friend join, you can, crew form you can, leave matches at will you can, scramble you can, ship swap you can.  But these things hamper the new system like they do the old match system. 

So I don't disagree with you, but probably only in terms of the extent.  I think we've taken a step forward and likely a half step back.  But that half step back is also trying accommodate you guys' requests for better community and social features.  So it's tough.  It doesn't mean that we're not trying really hard, but it's tough. 

And there are different perspectives at play here.  For example, the old match system worked well for you, because you've had extensive experience and familiarity with it.  Then for me the question becomes, ok, can the new match system support your use case of match list browsing, and I sincerely think yes.  Granted, there is a bit of social engineering here, but this is not unlike what Steam tries to do, which is to filter and curate things with friends.  We got this idea from testers, and adopted it.  I think it's quite brilliant (giving full credit to you guys for coming up with the original idea) because it does a better job filtering the matches, assuming people don't mind adding some friends that they enjoy playing with.  It's a little bit more work up front, but I believe that the result in the long run is a better one. 

Mr. Disaster, we know that you are criticizing because you care, and I think it should be fair for me to say that we're always listening.  I know we don't always make decisions that you agree with, but we're trying.  And we try to think things through and listen to people's opinions as much as humanly possible contrary to what some people believe. 

All I can do is to try to continue to improve the system, to make sure we support use cases for vets like you, and to continue to strive to juggle them against issues such as balance.  I absolutely appreciate you candor and we can take the criticism, that's what we are here for. 

Thanks a lot. Howard

Offline Dev Bubbles

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2014, 03:44:21 pm »
@Mr. Disaster, also, if you don't find the match maker to be working, give custom game and the match list a shot.  Personally I found that once I have 50-100 friends added, the match list worked well for me.  I'm likely biased I know, but I don't think I'm talking BS here. 

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2014, 04:12:33 pm »
Lot of this could have been addressed had more people spoken up before instead of waiting till things got to this point. Given Muse some real feedback. There were many who had concerns about MM that were willing to chat about it personally but not willing to make a formal post. Say something!! Stop hiding behind those who are willing to make the post!! Now they're upset and it's their own fault. I tried to relay things for a few but 1 person doing it isn't enough.

I'm not happy about all this and I have no desire to play outside of events now, but I did what I could to try and relay concerns and present solutions so this wouldn't happen. Now it's happened and I have no regrets here. Muse is a good company and they are willing to listen but you need to speak up.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2014, 04:14:27 pm »
@Bubbles

Thanks for the response,

I'm actually indifferent to matchmaking in its current form as usually I can find a game by virtue of my friends list c.110 players (not sure if i skipped a few when counting).

The main reason I want the levels displayed in lobby is both to gauge the experience of the other team to fight them as is or whether we need to swap to the other side to balance the lobby (as I am not matchmaking into the lobbies).

The second reason is because I spent so much time getting them in the first place and want to show them off. I feel like you have taken something away from me and devalued the effort I put into getting the levels. (which I got through the old achievement system)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2014, 04:46:13 pm »
My main point of dissatisfaction with the current match making system is being put on crews that doesn't know what they are doing, and having no way of influencing the situation. This happens mostly when I match make as an engineer. Match making as a pilot  gives me enough control over the situation that I can make a novice crew functional in a few games.

The most satisfying moments in this game come through working with a solid crew. Those moments have become fewer when I let the algorithm select who I play with. After a few frustrating games I am at the point where I start looking through my friends list to create a "stacked" ship and match balance be damned.

On a whole I like the side effects of the match making system like reduces the lobby wait and the reduction of mid game powder monkey joins. I just resent the match making system is putting me in impossible situations under the assumption that my individual contribution will be enough to prop up a doomed ship.

This is how I imagined the match making system would work before the reality was revealed:
* When some hits Play on the main menu, they are put in a crew form screen for just one ship. If the ship has played a few matches it will have a ranking, but if the ship is formed by people who just logged in it will be put at the lowest rank.
* When the captain is ready the ship is put into the match queue where it's rank is used to determine which lobby it is put into. Based on the ships performance in the match, (ie if it won, number of kills, damage dealt, damage absorbed and repaired) the rank is adjusted to indicate how dangerous a ship is.
* Once in lobby the ships have a minute or two to come up with a plan and reconfigure their ship to the match.
* After the match the ship is put back in the single ship crew form where the captain and crew can set themselves for the next match, or take on new crew members to replace those who left.
* If the crew can't work together they can leave the crew form and be randomly matched as individuals again.

Essentially the whole system would work like a game wide ship scramble where each game will be fought between ships of equivalent skill level. There is no rank data is ascribed to the individual and the formation of ships is done by pure randomization or manually via  the friend's list. If there are no ships of equivalent ranking to face a high ranked ship that ship may be paired with a low ranked ship against two medium ranked ships. Multi ship clans can create their own custom servers and get ships put into them based on the combined clan ship rankings.

I am not demanding this system be used as it is obvious Muse spent a lot of effort making the current system. I just dream of what could have been.

PS should I have stuck this in a new thread? I feel it has gotten a bit rantey.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 04:52:04 pm by HamsterIV »

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2014, 04:55:54 pm »
Everything HamsterIV said.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2014, 06:24:13 pm »
@Bubbles
If you want to in the new system, you can without too much effort recreate the old system.  For example, if you want the old match list back, you can literally just add a bunch of people as friends.
This is unfair, I don't like this. I'm an introvert in real life therefore I have introvertic way of being also in GOIO which means I pick my friends with care. To add someone as friend I need to fly with him/her a few times, having him/her doing a good job and fun together. I think I have like ~50 people on my friend list and I will not accept this "solution" of my problem. This is no argument to me and stop repeating that because it's just....unpleasant. If you truly believe this is some "back door" from matchmaking then bring back the regular server list or do the suggestion below.

But these things hamper the new system like they do the old match system.
I can understand that, and that's why I suggested some partially solution to combine two systems: make a regular server list with all the community options (unable to reach from MM or maybe only as selectable option) and matchmaking games with no (or almost no) community options so it's really focused on balance. I strongly believe that this way you may keep both sides of the discussion happy (although it may take some work).

So I don't disagree with you, but probably only in terms of the extent.  I think we've taken a step forward and likely a half step back.  But that half step back is also trying accommodate you guys' requests for better community and social features.  So it's tough.  It doesn't mean that we're not trying really hard, but it's tough. 
I understand that you work hard and that everyone makes mistakes - I'm saying from my gaming experience perspective. For me playing 1.3.7 (or rather - going to play) was much better than in 1.3.8 + hotfix. So for me it's a step back. Then again - I never actually supported or believed in matchmaking.

I won't comment the next paragraph because it's unpleasant again.

Mr. Disaster, we know that you are criticizing because you care, and I think it should be fair for me to say that we're always listening.  I know we don't always make decisions that you agree with, but we're trying.  And we try to think things through and listen to people's opinions as much as humanly possible contrary to what some people believe.

All I can do is to try to continue to improve the system, to make sure we support use cases for vets like you, and to continue to strive to juggle them against issues such as balance.  I absolutely appreciate you candor and we can take the criticism, that's what we are here for. 

Holy shit someone just called me a veteran! Did you guys all see that? :D

Well you're right. You're doing all you can and we're also doing all we can. And with some good will we'll meet somewhere in the middle.