Author Topic: Quintuple Mine Launchers?  (Read 15328 times)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Re: Quintuple Mine Launchers?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 01:18:22 pm »
A squid's raw speed is usually enough to get away, unless the engines are destroyed in which case the rear gun is probably also destroyed. A squid stays safe by hiding in their opponent's blind spot. Only when confronted by a 2V1 will a good squid pilot run away (usually with a tar cloud). A mine launcher is OK on the back of a squid but don't expect it to save you or earn you many kills.

Trying to assault another ship by backing a squid's rear mine launcher into range is extremely difficult for several reasons.
1) flying backwards is slower than flying forwards
2) the pilot has to look backwards and will loose track of the throttle in 1st person view
3) there is a lot of ship  blocking the pilot's view if they are trying to bifecta with the side gun
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:20:11 pm by HamsterIV »

Offline Kouhei Sakurai

• Salutes: 2
    • [TA☯]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 01:43:20 pm »
I actually don't know which weapon would actually help at all for a Squid. In close range I would probably prefer a front/starboard bifecta, so the rear guns wouldn't be used. For anything further than that, the only time the squid's back is turned to the enemy is when it's fleeing, but then again the rear gun is usually not repaired so it would be useless anyway. That's pretty much the only reason why I'm considering the mine launcher.

Other options I'm weighing presently are Artemis (easy and fuss free, plus nice damage per shot) and Banshee (easiest way to burn the enemy while fleeing), but as mentioned I doubt they would be used at all.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 08:18:17 pm »
Hi

Offline Battle Toads

• Salutes: 4
    • [kTen]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 07:50:33 pm »
open sniping map likes Dunes

Nothing stopping ya from getting close to someone!  It can actually be a quite effective tactic against long-range builds with weapons that have arming time.  I prefer running short-range builds on maps like dunes because I find endless sniping matches to be incredibly boring.  I see nothing wrong with a munker on Dunes.  :D

Any decent lumberjack gunner would be able to destroy a munker's balloon forever, or atleast until a team mate, the ground, or a hull breaker finishes the rest. Junker is not mobile enough to flank and avoid fire on dunes against a skilled team.

Also sniper matches on Dunes are boring for the most part, but if any ship would be used to get close it would not be a junker