Author Topic: Game Mode Idea - Weighted Deathmatch  (Read 5157 times)

Offline Zirilfer

• Salutes: 12
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
Game Mode Idea - Weighted Deathmatch
« on: October 08, 2014, 05:10:34 am »
    Alright, Like many Guns of Icarus Players, I crave a few new game modes. So I came up with this one this evening, which I think would be fairly easy to implement (albeit not to perfectly balance). It shares many similarities to Deathmatch, in that the goal is to destroy the ships of the opposing team until a set cap is reached. However, I thought back to various 3v3 and 4v4 games, in which one ship was barely touched and yet did massive damage to the other teams ships, in an effort to balance that, I came up with this game mode (My apologies if someone had this idea previously)

Basically in this game mode all ships start with an equal value of points (Say 1000). For every time a ship dies, that value of that ship is added to the opposing teams score, and the base value of that ship on respawn is lowered (Say 100 each time, to a minimum of 200 (but I'm not really a numbers guy, balance as gameplay dictates)). A ship can increase their value by dealing permanent (permahull) damage to enemy ships or killing them. These mechanics can be increased in complexity if need be, for example whatever ships breaks the hull get's a quarter of the points attributed to the damage that followed the hull break.

This game mode I feel would increase the cooperation and coordination of teams while simultaneously lessening the burden of poorer ships on your team. Additionally, I'm rather fond of the risk/reward of targeting a high scoring dangerous ships rather than the first come first serve mechanics that often fill current deathmatch lobbies.

As always, I'd like to know what everyone thinks, be it a critical flaw, an improvement, praise or shame.

Thanks
-Z

Offline Terrkas

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 4
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
Re: Game Mode Idea - Weighted Deathmatch
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 06:26:45 am »
I think it could be very unclear, which ship has a reduced or increased value. When you show the value in the tabscreen, you will have to check it and then mark the enemy to be sure, you are focusing the target with the higher value. Will be most likely the case, when all enemies fly the same shipclass.

Offline RedRoach

• Salutes: 23
    • View Profile
Re: Game Mode Idea - Weighted Deathmatch
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 04:22:16 pm »
I think of this more like the great equalizer than a game mode really. If one team is dominating, their point climb is inhibited by that. And therefore, to increase the value of their kills, they'll have to intentionally play worse. I still think this would be a great idea, don't get me wrong, it's just that it favors the losing side a lot more than a winning side.