Author Topic: Control Layouts controllers and key bindings  (Read 19157 times)

Offline CaptnAwesome

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
Control Layouts controllers and key bindings
« on: March 28, 2013, 04:57:22 pm »
Hey folks,

As a pilot, I find the default  key bindings for the helm to be inconvenient at best and downright frustrating/disastrous at worst. With "E" being right next to "R" I often find myself accidentally leaving the helm as I'm trying to manipulate "R" and "F"  to throttle during tricky maneuvers. I've tried plugging in an x-box controller thinking that the dual joystick configuration would be a little more intuitive but I found the controller to be too sensitive and I went back to keyboard and mouse.

So I'm curious to get some feedback from some of the more experienced pilots out there. What kind of key binding setup do you find best?

Does anybody use controllers besides a keyboard and mouse? If so, what do you use?

Thanks!

Captn Awesome

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
Re: Control Layouts controllers and key bindings
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 05:14:27 pm »
I have the same problem with the "E", but haven't yet identified anything better to map it onto.

I did try setting up a Logitech Wingman, but it's not compatible with the game.

Offline Connor Mc.

• Salutes: 18
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 05:53:43 pm »
one time accidentally hit E whilst ascending, I ended up running all the way to the forward gun and almost off the ship

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 07:16:57 pm »
W and S for throttle. A and D to turn. R and F to rise and fall. The E thing happens on very rare occasion. That was when i was just starting out.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 07:59:32 pm »
You know that E thing has happened to me tons of times and I thought about changing up the controls forever but I never did and sort of just got used to it.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 01:07:20 am »
I have a gaming mouse with two buttons on the side of it. Therefore I changed my controls to W and S for throttle. A and D for turning. And Mouse 4 and 5 (1-3 are clicks and scroller) for balloon. Made the change first day and never looked back. It lets me have all controls clickable without having to change hand placement. Helps with dodging on a Junker.

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 01:36:45 am »
I have a gaming mouse with two buttons on the side of it. Therefore I changed my controls to W and S for throttle. A and D for turning. And Mouse 4 and 5 (1-3 are clicks and scroller) for balloon. Made the change first day and never looked back. It lets me have all controls clickable without having to change hand placement. Helps with dodging on a Junker.

I wonder if it's possible to bind altitude to the mouse wheel.  I know using the mouse wheel to switch pilot tools means death so I certainly have no use for the default binding.  It'd be a pain to keep it "depressed" as the game would expect it to be though, it'd just think it was a bunch of button presses.

Offline CaptnAwesome

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 02:48:53 pm »
I actually made a change yesterday.

I changed Q and E to throttle up and down respectively. That's really the only change I made and it has improved my experience a lot.

E is particularly useless in the default bindings because it does the same thing as spacebar. so I just reserve spacebar as my button to leave the helm if needed.

Offline Phoebe

• Salutes: 62
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 02:53:19 pm »
I have two mouse buttons on the side of my mouse where my thumb is;  I put the front one on Descent and the back one on Ascend

Offline Elberon Darkshadow

• Salutes: 0
    • [Elf]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 01:23:47 am »
Someone suggested using the scroll wheel for acceleration and deceleration. I already use z while piloting to release the helm. I'm thinking i might switch q and e to be what I use to toggle my ability selection.
Also, try captaining in 3rd person... So much easier.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 01:55:03 am by ElberonDarkshadow »

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 04:17:21 pm »
I'm thinking i might switch q and e to be what I use to toggle my ability selection.

Might I suggest not scrolling for item selection but instead using the numbers that correspond to the tool. That way you don't have to hydrogen before you moonshine and whatnot.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 02:20:25 am »
The only thing non standard about my control setup is I flipped W and S, and inverted the mouse. A youth misspend on flight sims results in me begin unable to break the association: push forward to go down, pull back to go up. The E thing gets me once in a while but rarely is fatal.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 06:26:48 am »
I've actually put my mount/dismount on my scroll wheel click... Then I have two buttons on the side of my mouse to handle ascend/descend, and wasd is left/right and throttle up/down. E has never been a problem ever since the switch :)

Offline Nephriel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 11:36:24 am »
I use W/S for throttle and R/F for height. When I started I kept hitting W to go forwards on accident so I just decided to switch it. I like that idea about binding E to my scroll wheel though. I do find myself accidently leaving the helm on occasion.

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 11:33:25 am »
If you have a fancy mouse with tons of extra buttons, you probably are very used to remapping keys to it in every game. Unfortunately I have a standard office-style mouse and keyboard. 2 mouse buttons and a scroll wheel. And I cannot push more than 5 or so keys at once, or the keyboard becomes unresponsive.

The following setup works very well for me as a pilot. It requires only a few re-binds to strongly prevent accidentally leaving the hull.  It helps with 'key limit' (pressing too many keys at once) on a standard keyboard. It also makes the map very accessible on the left hand without giving up any mobility. Plus, it means more frantic mouse clicking for the pilot, and everyone knows ... more clicking = more fun.

For pilot:
Throttle up to left mouse
Throttle down right mouse

Global:
Map to Q

A variant I played around with was "car pedal" style, decelerate on left and accelerate on right. I didn't like it.

But thats it. Makes a world of difference. Any questions or additions I should be thinking about?