Author Topic: List of suggestions  (Read 20727 times)

Offline Safewood

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
List of suggestions
« on: June 30, 2014, 09:47:22 pm »
Short and simple. List of suggestions I feel is strongly needed in the game.

- Maps with a lot of objects to fly around, so that you can have other ways to outplay and bait your opponents.
- Gunners with only, but different benefits on ammunition. Currently there's really no need for Gunners, since you can have your alternative ammo on your Engineers, which is only needed in close range combat.
- Viewmodel and projectiles are completely off from each other. The projectiles come from the upper-left corner of your screen, while your turret and crosshair is in the middle.
- Matchmaking system with matchmaking rating.
- Visual and audible feedback when you can or can't repair or out of range with wrench, hammer, etc. E.g. highlight the machinery, different sound effect, etc.
- Either stronger colours or bigger size on the sails to easily distinguish between Red and Blue, because most ships has a red-ish colour palette already. You already have the map, but it's rather a hassle than adding to the game. Spyglass' only purpose should be to keep your opponent targetted, because you could be out of range when you try to target someone.
- Remake the party/lobby system like every other competitive game has it, such as League of Legends, Starcraft 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and so forth.
- Ladders feel really clunky, such as, you can't strafe onto the ladder (e.g. run towards the ladder pressing W and D, though I'm not talking about Quake/Source engine ladder strafing, just easier to hit the ladder that way), and you sometimes fly up in the air when you hit the end of the ladder; makes me completely disorientated.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 09:50:47 pm by Safewood »

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: List of suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 10:00:54 pm »
A few have already requested new maps, but it takes a bit of resources to make those and MUSE is limited. "Recycling" current other ones has been request as well. https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,3827.0.html

Making gunners more "attractive" is currently looked into.

Matchmaking is on the way.

When you hit something with a wrench or a hammer it should make a different sounds from not hitting something. When you hit something there is also cooldown that is visible visually. When hitting something while it is on cooldown shouldn't do anything but make noise.
I am not sure, but I think all those engineering tools have their own sound too.

The enemy looking like your ally because of his color as been mentioned too. To counter this problem, for the moment I suggest, simply make more use of the map and see if your ally is over there or if he is next to you, then you can be sure it is an enemy.
As far as I know you cannot be out of range to spot something with a spyglass, however the enemy could be so far away that he isn't rendered for you and thus you don't see him. The spyglass purpose, in my opinion, is to tell your team the position of the enemy, what are they looking at and where are they moving to.
Targeting is done by communication or by the captain using a special targeting system, I believe the button for that in default is "B".  This captain target thingy is not permanent though.
Alternetely you can use voice signals with through "V" and navigating through them with "WASD".
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 10:03:52 pm by Dementio »

Offline Safewood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 10:37:22 pm »
Alright, I assumed map making was similar to other engines, such as Quake, Source, Spark, etc. Which makes map making a breeze, unless you make it incredibly detailed.

I haven't actually noticed that, except from the Fire Extinguisher, but I would then suggest to make the audible feedback more distinguishable. A clearer visual feedback when you can repair or extinguish the fire, such as highlight the machinery (similar to how Bioshock highlights items).
On a related note, they should also make a clearer visual (and perhaps audible) feedback by how much you extinguish the fire.

I've already rebound the map to the "V" key for easier access, since I use microphone anyway.

You can't use the spyglass to tag your opponents? I'm pretty sure you can tag your opponents with the spyglass, unless the timing between me trying to tag them and the captain tagging them has been mere miliseconds similar scary amount of times.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 10:49:20 pm »
Alright, I assumed map making was similar to other engines, such as Quake, Source, Spark, etc. Which makes map making a breeze, unless you make it incredibly detailed.

I haven't actually noticed that, except from the Fire Extinguisher, but I would then suggest to make the audible feedback more distinguishable. A clearer visual feedback when you can repair or extinguish the fire, such as highlight the machinery (similar to how Bioshock highlights items).
On a related note, they should also make a clearer visual (and perhaps audible) feedback by how much you extinguish the fire.

I've already rebound the map to the "V" key for easier access, since I use microphone anyway.

You can't use the spyglass to tag your opponents? I'm pretty sure you can tag your opponents with the spyglass, unless the timing between me trying to tag them and the captain tagging them has been mere miliseconds similar scary amount of times.
I would love some more audible feedback to the engineering tools, and some pertaining to guns. I still want to hear bullets hitting and ricocheting when someone shoots a gatling gun at your ship. Especially since gatling guns are so common, and very important to notice.Overall i feel like good sound design is under-appreciated in games.

Offline Dementio

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 07:58:16 am »

What I mean is, once you spot something with a spyglass it is forever spotted and marked on the map until your entire time loses visual sight of it. If you spot 2 out of 2 enemies from the enemy team then who do you target?

Offline Mezhu

• Salutes: 33
    • [Sgar]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 08:13:54 am »
Matchmaking is indeed on its' way but not with a rating system scheduled, and I'm being called a weirdo for asking for one :p

It's blissfull finally finding a stranger who would also like rated mm :D

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 08:59:17 am »
I don't like matchmaking at all. It's a bother to implement and I think it wouldn't really add to a game. Waiting in lobbies sucks, all right, but I think the lobby system is the best for GOIO. Suprisingly, the problem may not be the system, but the amount of players. If you have around 100 players around the world in the game at the moment - you may have to wait for a while. That's life, and there isn't much to do about it. When there's 250+ people in the game everything seems to work fine.

Going back to the subject - OP mentioned some of the obvious problems, and tried to tackle it being very general and unspecific. Each and every one of those issues is a separate problem that needs close attention. I especially like this one:
- Remake the party/lobby system like every other competitive game has it, such as League of Legends, Starcraft 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and so forth.
Firstly, many people could've never played any of those games (I'm a good example :) ), so you have to give some hint, some directions. At least you could send screens saying "you do that". Furthermore GOIO is very specific game and may need (and want!) a different lobby than those games. And the last but not least - money. Muse is a small company and they said many times that they WANT to do much, but they also need to balance it to minimize the costs. I think lobbies work good enough for now, maybe some UI tweeks would be good but those are DETAILS for me.

- Gunners with only, but different benefits on ammunition. Currently there's really no need for Gunners, since you can have your alternative ammo on your Engineers, which is only needed in close range combat.
This is a whole big problem on it's own which is being discussed over and over again (and tested also). You might want to check the ammunition ideas thread and share your thoughts. For now Muse decided that the best way to deal with it is to make ammo types that are more situational and would make gunner more useful with 3 ammo slots.

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 12:10:38 pm »
"- Viewmodel and projectiles are completely off from each other. The projectiles come from the upper-left corner of your screen, while your turret and crosshair is in the middle."

Cant say I have ever run into that issue. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Offline Safewood

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 03:02:47 pm »
@ Dementio:
Ah, right, I see what you mean. In that case, it's all about communication, but it would be great to have a 'prioritize target' for captains.

@ Mr.Disaster:
Lobbies are only useful for custom matches and starting a game with less than full crew.

Fair enough, however, I intentionally made everything very unspecific. Think of Extra Credits, brings up the issues without influencing specific solutions. Though I can rewrite everything with specific suggestions, solutions, etc.

@ SirNotlag:
It's sort of similar to when you fly in full speed while turning, which makes your projectiles look out of place. However, in this instance, the projectiles started from the top-left of my screen, instead of starting from the turret; though it could be networking issues, or something similar to that.

Edit: Not possible to edit the main post any longer. So I'll just add it here or in next post later.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 03:33:46 pm by Safewood »

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 03:55:05 pm »
@ Dementio:
Ah, right, I see what you mean. In that case, it's all about communication, but it would be great to have a 'prioritize target' for captains.

there is a prioritize target for captains. haven't you ever seen the white target appear on an enemy ship? that's the captain putting that on the enemy he wants you to target. 

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 03:58:31 pm »
You have to aim at the enemy and press "B" when you're a captain (it "marks" ship this way even if it's not marked by spyglass).

I really think lobbies are useful at all, because then everyone can prepare, get right equipment (for the situation, meaning both our ship like enemies ships) and when the game starts - all the crew knows what to do and where to go.

I love Extra Credits :) Don't need to rewrite anything, I guess I just pointed it out because some of this problems are being already discussed a lot.

Offline Safewood

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 05:05:04 pm »
@ SirNotlag:
It's the very same as Spyglass. Captains should have one that differentiate from the white box.

@ Mr.Disaster:
Oh, you would still have the lobby system like that, similar to League of Legends' champion select. It's just that you now have a queue instead of a match list. I can see now that I should've been a lot more thorough with what I envisioned, but I've already started on the rewrite (doing it between matches, so it's slowly coming together)-

Offline Dementio

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 05:07:00 pm »
@ SirNotlag:
It's the very same as Spyglass. Captains should have one that differentiate from the white box.

It is different. I don't think you have ever seen it. The spyglass creates a white box like thing around the spotted ship, the captain's target thingy creates 4 lines around it that look like a "+" with the ship in the middle.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 05:12:37 pm »
I literally did not realize captain's target was a thing that existed until I had to fix a bug with it.

Offline Safewood

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 05:36:24 pm »
@ Dementio:
Ah, made our Captain use it this match. However, I would like to add that it should have a different colour from the Spyglass, so that it's easier to distinguish it, even though it's a crosshair.