Author Topic: Match replays  (Read 19205 times)

Offline Urz

• Salutes: 75
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: Match replays
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 11:13:29 pm »
Streaming software that records to disk is freely available - it's fairly painless to set up.
A non-dynamic video only shows what was on the recorder's screen. You get a single shot of the scene, and generally very little information about what is actually happening on the ships. True replays would allow one to see an engagement from every angle, give one access to what each player in the game is doing at any point in the match, as well as any action the cameraman might have missed.

It's not comparable.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 12:20:38 am »
I sense you're looking at TF2 when you write that. You're right it's not comparable. It also doesn't exist for GoI. Better a bird in the hand than 2 in the bush kind of thing.

Have your buddy spectate your match if you want more camera angles and run the two stream side by side.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 12:25:42 am »
I sense you're looking at TF2 when you write that. You're right it's not comparable. It also doesn't exist for GoI. Better a bird in the hand than 2 in the bush kind of thing.

Have your buddy spectate your match if you want more camera angles and run the two stream side by side.

Actually I was looking at starcraft. TF2 has replays?

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 12:33:56 am »
On selected servers you can record your match yes.

Offline Urz

• Salutes: 75
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 12:36:43 am »
It also doesn't exist for GoI.
Thus why we're asking it be considered as a feature at some point.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:38:42 am by Urz »

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 01:03:36 am »
Thing is it may not be possible to retro fit. Look for the discussion on the map scales, or the sights on the heavy flak models for examples of what I mean.

Offline Mr.Bando

• Salutes: 4
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 08:15:47 am »
Old bump but yes. If you are able to save all crew and ship actions into a file where it can be rebuilt into a match replay, it would give the competitive scene a much needed boon. Commentators can analyse and choose better angles of the action. Players can store and share some of their best moments with others. Also a good learning tool for new captains, gunners and engineers alike

Offline Mr.Bando

• Salutes: 4
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 04:59:26 am »
The server and client exchange info during the course of the game. Is it possible to collect and save all this data into a file and then use all the data to reconstruct the game? Being able to have this kind of replay to allow you to watch from any ship or players perspective and watch it many times.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2014, 11:22:07 am »
This had been talked about before and from what I understand the technical aspects of doing something like this was the restricting factor. The only way to do replays would be if you had Unity to run it with or something like that.

Offline Watchmaker

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 55
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2014, 10:26:21 am »
This is a thing that would be cool, but as some people have suggested requires a bunch of effort to work well.

Mr.Bando is on the right track for how I'd do this.  Recording that data isn't hard (and is useful enough for debugging that I already have a version of it), but replaying it in a coherent fashion within the game client is a bit trickier.

Though, due to the way we handle visibility, this would mean that replays of the same match will be different for different players (you receive less frequent updates about e.g. player positions on distant other ships, and may not receive information at all if said ship is far enough away or inside cloud cover...)

In short, yes, this is a thing I think about doing.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2014, 05:09:51 pm »
It would be nice to have a recording tool, even if we don't have a playback tool yet. That way we could save matches now and then brag about our awesome games later when you get around to adding playback support.

Offline Milevan Faent

• Salutes: 15
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2014, 12:57:18 am »
It would be nice to have a recording tool, even if we don't have a playback tool yet. That way we could save matches now and then brag about our awesome games later when you get around to adding playback support.

Assuming they ever do.