Author Topic: Nautical or Aviation terms?  (Read 23756 times)

Offline YellowJacketXV

• Salutes: 1
    • [4LD]
    • View Profile
Nautical or Aviation terms?
« on: May 31, 2014, 12:28:14 pm »
So which do you use the most when giving orders to the crew?

Do you consider the ship more of an Aviation vessel, maneuvering the Yaw and Pitch and Thrust?

Or do you consider the ship more of a Nautical vessel, telling your men to prep the starboard guns for the line of battle?

Also, anybody wish to add to lists of each sets of words?

The easiest would be:
Port - Left of ship
Starboard - Right of ship
Bow - Front of Ship
Stern - Behind ship
Keel - direct bottom of ship, usually referring to a particular structure of the base
Ahead - Forward motion
Astern - backward motion (probably only for airships)

I'm curious if there are any others that would be nice to add.

Offline Nidh

• Salutes: 16
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Nautical or Aviation terms?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 12:32:28 pm »
I just use compass directions, since everybody has one and I can't expect anyone to be familiar with nautical terms

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 02:41:03 pm »
No mic so I voice command, and they're all nautical.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 11:10:40 pm »
Compass is easiest. 0 confusion of "Ohh.. whats starbord?" When you can just say right. Or better yett to specify, "Enemy at North West". No matter what direction your ship is pointing, the statement always points torwards North West.

When I mention weapons, i always just say the weapons purpose. On a Goldfish, a gattling one the right and a carronade on the left, will be pretty automatic if i say "Use the Carronade" Cus thats the only carronade. On a junker i say Left guns, or Right guns.

There is very little reason to use ship adjustment thingy magig words because it is incredibly outdated. The book of count of monter cristo is very much graphic when it comes to detailing ships, the harbor to it and how they work. And at that time ships were very complicated with ropes and such. Back then no one had a compass all the time and it would be impractical IRL to use one for each crew member. So ships were a very lengthy thing to learn especialy for a navigator, pilot and a captain. Crew members simply learned the angular locations and the locations of a ship to identify to how they are. Because all ships were different. But in Goio, there are only few ships to keep in mind and they are crazy. Spire, mobula and squid are the worst contender for this.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 11:23:54 pm »
I just use compass directions, since everybody has one and I can't expect anyone to be familiar with nautical terms

Man the North-Western guns!

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 11:59:04 pm »
i remember a thread about this long long ago. but basically it breaks down as this, the nautical terms make way more sense for like 95% of the game. engineers would probably use aviation terms for the operation and parts of the engines,as they are essentially airplane engines (though an argument could be made for the nautical propeller conventions) and terms relating to how high up the ship is are obviously aviation-based. 

and as for port/starboard vs compass directions.  the relative ship based directions are actually more efficient and faster for crew communication.  by using the compass directions, you require each member of your crew to look up at the compass then figure out where they should be looking. if you use port/starboard people know immediately where they should be looking, it takes some getting used to for a completely new player but a three second explanation when you are not in combat is much less of a cost than those same three seconds while they figure out the compass while they need to be shooting the enemy.

and i would definitely use port/starboard over left/right. because left and right is more used to refer towards peoples personal orientation in their lives, and port/starboard is always the ship's left and right. also you sound cooler and people get way more into the game if you play along with a small touch of nautical terminology. its just more fun.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 01:14:14 pm »
I use left, right, front, rear, top and bottom when referring to things on the ship. Compass direction + high/low for things outside the ship. Occasionally I use the terms nose or tail instead of front or back. Specifically "nose gunner to hull" on the junker.

Offline Mod Josie

• Muse
  • Salutes: 130
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 05:36:40 am »
Completely dependent on the situation, I will use nautical positioning terms, compass directions, and also the old "O'clock" system along with up high or down low. It really depends on the captain or the crew. If I am flying, I am more likely to talk in terms of nautical positioning. I'd tell people to man the starboard guns for instance. However, as a crewman - I am more likely to call out the position of an enemy to my captain using the compass.
Every system has its ups and downs and are all useful. :D

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 09:14:44 am »
I use port/starboard/front when calling for guns. When it comes to spotting the enemy, I use the compass.

In terms of nautical vs aviation, while is would be hilarious, my boat cannot do a barrel roll. Thus, nautical.

Offline Mod Josie

• Muse
  • Salutes: 130
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 10:00:54 am »
I use port/starboard/front when calling for guns. When it comes to spotting the enemy, I use the compass.

In terms of nautical vs aviation, while is would be hilarious, my boat cannot do a barrel roll. Thus, nautical.
Zill, your ship is OP - I bet you could make it barrel roll with enough coaxing and moonshine. :D

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 10:34:35 am »

Zill, your ship is OP - I bet you could make it barrel roll with enough coaxing and moonshine. :D

The secret is Vodka.

Offline Tanya Phenole

• Salutes: 92
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 10:59:57 am »
Basically we use compass directions or o'clocks directions.

Offline Andika

• Salutes: 114
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 04:22:28 pm »
I usually just shout "KILL'eeeeem! Wait, not that one, the other one!!!"
I must admit it doesnt always work, though.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 07:05:53 pm »
yonder...ish

that's a naval term right?

Offline vyew

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 01:06:58 pm »
Compass directions when telling crew to spot a faraway enemy (more accurate than left/right/forward/back) and when using the C chat to tell the other captain where the enemy is (since port/starboard doesn't work for the other ships). I will also say the altitude of the enemy as high/level/low.

Left/right, front/behind for close range, which side guns to use, etc. I keep confusing myself with port/starboard xD