Author Topic: Out of the novice ranks and wanting to fly Galleon  (Read 10034 times)

Offline Vayn Aesir

• Salutes: 0
    • [AJSA]
    • View Profile
Out of the novice ranks and wanting to fly Galleon
« on: May 30, 2014, 04:44:36 pm »
Title says it all, im moving up and as I typically play as a pilot/captain I could use some advice on effectively flying a galleon as well as some loadout tips

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Out of the novice ranks and wanting to fly Galleon
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 05:02:41 pm »
There are two general ideas. Long/midrange or brawl.
The longrange and midrange builds are usually equipped assymmetric as you are crippled alot on closeranges and usually have the time to switch sides.
This loadouts have their closerange on the left with a hwacha carronade and a long to midrange side left.
merc, lj, hflak is the standard longrange loadout. Dual lumberjack hades is more disable oriented. lj hwacha hades is midrange and isnt very effective above 1200m but is when the enemy gets closer and gives you saver fights when the enemy gets close due to the disable ability.
Brawl builds are different. Some fly symmetric brawl galleons as the galleon isnt the fastest ship and also turns quite slow so they dont want to face the inability to fight on one side and dont want to get outmaneuvered. Others fly it assymmetric with either lj, hflak but i prefer dual lumber as a hflak is kinda ineffective without a decent piercing weapon.
If u however fly it symmetric i always suggest using the hwacha carro aswell on the right side. hwacha hwacha lacks alot as it cant kill effective due to long reload and the second hwacha doesnt give alot when the enemy took the first hwacha which already disabled him.

The left side on a brawl galleon is often dual hwacha + gat. In this comb the second hwacha is used to finish off the enemy after the first hwacha disabled the enemy and the gat shred the armor.
But those closerange sides are so  different that you cant name them all. Most combinations of a closerange topdeck gun and a combination of carronades and hwachas. Usual idea is. The more your focus is on the hwacha on the lowerdeck the harder you want a piercing gun to shred armor. The more you focus on the carronade the more you want a explosive or disable gun.

A galleon, especially the longrange one, is a sitting fortress. You want to move as little as possible to make the aiming of your gunners as easy as possible. Get in a good position and shoot the enemy out of the skies.
Similiar thing goes for the brawl galleons. Get in range and arc and kill them. Dont go for fancy maneuver or dodges on your enemys. You are a slow and immobile fortress. You get in arc and kill. You can also take alot of a beating. However a good team will know that and wants to outmaneuver you. Use the tools (phoenix claw is a must) you got to counter this. Grab your correct altitude and dont let the enemy get away. Your slow. You dont want to run after the enemy. You also dont want to run away. A running galleon is a not shooting galleon which leads to a dead galleon.

Another tip: as pilot you can jump down to the hull when under pressure and help rebuilding it. You can also rebuild the balloon quite easy as pilot. As long as you got your guns in arc this is most times a nobrainer. Let your lower deck shoot the enemy from the skies and help your main engineer on the upper deck to stay alive.

Offline SuperPrincessPeach

• Salutes: 5
    • [MPD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 05:25:03 pm »
Just make sure dont get cough off by any ship when u are doing long range support cuz if gold fish or squid comes up to u from the blind side u will be in for some srs shit....especially carronade squid

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 12:14:04 pm »
Fly a galleon like you would a siege tank from starcraft. Drive up to a battle, put on the parking break, and start killing stuff until there is nothing left to kill. A galleon has two distinct modes: traveling and murdering.

While traveling don't expect to be able to shoot. Tell your gunner preload the guns while your engineers fix the engines. You will most likely be abuse kerosine or moonshine at during this phase.

While murdering  the galleon's throttle should be set to neutral so that you can turn faster. A bit of phoenix claw will help too. Your engineers should prioritize the hull turning engines and at least one heavy gun.

Do not fly in circles at the edge of your weapons effective range. The lateral movement will make your gunner's job harder. The enemy ships will have an easier time avoiding you. Your team mate will be less able to run back under the cover of your guns if things get hot.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 06:14:39 pm »
You forgot 'Running over' mode, which is a combination of Moving and Murdering mode, with the help of some moonshine.

Shortest, best, fastest advice: Go into practice with one of each gun. Get on a gun and spawn in four balloons at the extent of the gun's arc. Go to the helm and carefully study where those balloons are. Destroy those balloons and repeat with all the guns. Once you know where all the arcs are, try to keep enemy ships within those ranges at all times.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 12:09:44 pm »
I like to use the ram as a quick transition between flying an murdering mode, it is a great way to bleed off speed and turn the ship. However I wrote this with a new galleon pilot in mind, and there are a lot of ways an attempted ram with a galleon can go horribly wrong.

Offline Tanya Phenole

• Salutes: 92
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 07:35:18 pm »
Galleons are really cool. I call them "parade of heavy guns" XD

Some tips
- sometimes this  ship needs stability more than turning, so you have your time out of the helm, helping to repair baloon or hull. There are also ENGINEERS who pilot galleon - they just move ship from position to position and do repairs rest of time.

- you want two people on bottom deck

- you can help rebulduing the hull with a hysteric scream "TANK MODE TANK MODE TANK MODE" - this increases survivability almost twice. Galleon reduilded by 2-3 crews at same time  can survive 7-8 armor breaks in one combat XD

Offline Mandoza

• Salutes: 0
    • [FOXX]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 07:24:08 pm »
I found it's really nice bringing the mallet for the balloon and making top engie bring chem spray it really makes the engie able to go downstairs more now that he's not worrying about the balloon as much also.  The balloon of the galleon has a surprising amount of health and you will find that you have time when pioliting to run over and hit it by the time it's done it's cooldown and do that pretty much forever...  It's better to prevent your engie from waisting time rebuilding when I can keep up the balloon just fine as long as you(I?) get fire support...

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 09:21:43 pm »
I found it's really nice bringing the mallet for the balloon and making top engie bring chem spray it really makes the engie able to go downstairs more now that he's not worrying about the balloon as much also.  The balloon of the galleon has a surprising amount of health and you will find that you have time when pioliting to run over and hit it by the time it's done it's cooldown and do that pretty much forever...  It's better to prevent your engie from waisting time rebuilding when I can keep up the balloon just fine as long as you(I?) get fire support...

The Galleon's balloon doesn't have any more health than any other ship's balloon, and if you take a mallet and the balloon pops (which will happen a lot against carronades and lumberjacks, it's a really easy target), you'll really regret not having a wrench.

You could also engi captain, of course. Then you've got yourself a mallet and a spanner.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 09:23:42 pm »
I do love me some engi-captaining.

Offline pandatopia

• Salutes: 15
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 10:35:29 am »
I attempted to do some engie captaining as a galleon pilot and found that it sucks.

It is just awful.

You must choose between turn speed, balloon speed, and movement speed, and unless you are set up perfectly and have a great ally, you will be a huge detriment to your team. Any competent pilot will be able to exploit one or both of your weaknesses.

Furthermore the added repair power of an engineer doesn't do squat, only delays your inevitable death.

A galleon MUST keep guns on target - unless you are solely defending a point staying alive does nothing.