Author Topic: First impressions  (Read 7087 times)

Offline Bold

• Salutes: 0
    • [EU28]
    • View Profile
First impressions
« on: May 30, 2014, 06:56:27 am »
This game is awesome, it looks astonishing the steam-punk setting fits perfectly, coop flying true the sky's its a boys dream comes true. I really like everything this game has to offer, and i just could not wait to get in so exited I was.
It was my first time in this game so I decided to start a bit easy, to play a role somewhat in the background, enjoying to participate even if aim not (yet) that good. Helping out my teammates were I can. And learn the ropes of the game as I go along. So I picked Engineer.
So I joint a crew it went very easy and before I knew I was on board, then the fight started and I failed repairing big time. Hmmm... new game ... no problem... ah... tutorials! Lets do that first, so I did and i learned about repair/cool down different tools etc etc. I got even more exited, man they succeeded in making repairing a tactical and fun part, how cool is that!
So quick into the real thing again, and yes before I new it I was in a match. And this time I know a bit more of how to be a engineer. And in a few seconds I was running around the deck like a mad man. Repairing here, putting out fires there, switching tools, running back and forth, running switching, repairing, fires, cool downs, switching, cooldow..switch... runnin.. run... run.. put... rep.... switch... rep... fire..fre...swt...put...sw..put..fir..rswi..ruswit..repa..tool.. sw.. BOOOM !!    MAP SCREEN.... euh.... ah ok we are dead! Few seconds later we were back in and the same started over, and over, and over.... till .... BLUE TEAM WON !! Ooh ok thats my team, or was I red? No, yes! we won!?
After doing this over and over, with some moments of indeed (for others boring) for me trilling times were there was no fighting and I could see and feel the surroundings and positions of the other ships, so I had a chance to get a glimpse of the tactics that surely involves this game. But witch I regretfully don't get no grip on. There is simply to much to do, and I won't (can't) let my team down. So there you have my dilemma...
I still hope its my beginner experience, or maybe I just have to try the other professions witch in my opinion have an even bigger responsibility and stress factor. Maybe its just me, maybe I am getting to old for this kind of gaming?  I don't know but aim afraid I have to come to the conclusion that this beautiful pearl of a game is not for me, although I am still hanging in there....

Offline vyew

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
Re: First impressions
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 07:02:35 am »
Yep, in intense battles the main engineer will be non-stop running around repairing. To get a good view of the battle, you gotta be a gungineer, gunner or pilot :P

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 10:18:14 am »
Once you get used to it, you would be surprised how much of the fight you actually get to observe as a main engineer.

My suggestion is to find your way onto pyramidions for a bit.

If you are avoiding piloting for the time being, you will participate as one of 3 roles: main engineer, front left gun, or front right gun.
Main engineer takes care of the 3 engines and the hull. You can hit the top main engine from below, and with a single loop mallet-ing the armor and all 3 engines you have 1-2 seconds where everything is on cooldowns and you can look around at what is going on (and maybe shoot the side gun if your pilot lets you).
Front left gun is usually an engineer so that you can also take care of the balloon right behind you. Most low level pyramidion builds take close range weapons, so aiming isn't as big of a deal. If your pilot has gatling-mortar, your gun will either be gatling or mortar. If you have gatling, shoot the enemy's armor until your hit markers turn red. If you have the mortar, wait for the gatling to have red hit markers before you fire your shots.
Front right gun varies between gunner and engineer by pilot preference. You mostly just stick to that gun.

Check out some of the competitive scene. If you head over to community events, there are 2 events running regularly right now: Hephaestus Challenge on Saturday and Sunday Community Skirmish on Sunday. You can watch those streams live (or recorded) to get a feel for what pilots and teams are doing tactically.

Offline Mean Machine

• Salutes: 31
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 10:43:41 am »
All I have to say is get some friends or clan and log on TS, RC, Mumble or whatever you want to use for voice comm. That way you get immersed way more into game and even as engineer you'll feel when there is an intense battle going on without even need to look around you. It gets a lot more fun to play.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 04:36:38 pm »
And best thing you can do is ask questions. Many of the vets will answer and help when you do. But some like me refuse to say a word otherwise. We've just had too many bad experiences with trying to help trolls or bad players. So my stance now is, if you don't ask, I don't tell.

Another thing is....avoid captains who say stupid stuff when a vet is there telling them better. Had a few this week. Most recent was a guy who tried to argue with me that burst ammo meant that it was explosive because he thought if anything says AOE it means explosive. His whole crew was completely convinced. Then he raged that Hades was OP when I had dual Hades. He thought that the AOE and arming timer on Hades meant it had piercing, fire, and explosive dmg. Even after a vet player corrects him he just refused to believe it. Learn to avoid people like that.