Author Topic: Improvements on the GUI  (Read 7765 times)

Offline IronTaurus

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
Improvements on the GUI
« on: August 20, 2014, 08:07:00 am »
Hello, I've been playing this game for about a week and I really like it. However the GUI is a bit confusing to say the least, when I started playing I could hardly navigate through it at all and even now some things is very confusing and odd.

1. When you create a crew you can invite friends and so and that is fine but when you are in a game lobby and decide to quit it to test another lobby you must recreate your crew once again which is very annoying.
2. When I have added a friend all I can do is invite them to a game and not join theirs which I more then once want to have.
3. When I'm joining a game that has already started I might end up playing as a gunner on a gun I do not know (as a new player to Guns of Icarus) having a way to see details of the ship you work on just like you can in the lobby would help through a lot of these situations.
4. How do you create clans, is it even possible and if not why is it not possible? (if there is a way, maybe you should show how more clearly because I have yet to find it).
5. Looking at the achievements it often say 'Until next level: 1(or 2,3,etc) I do not really know what it is but I figured it was the amount of achievements left until level up, but if that is so it is not entirely correct since I have gotten like 3-5 achievements on a single run and not gotten level up. or is it some special achievement? if so then you need to explain it better.

These are a few of the problems I saw on the GUI. And it might be just me who is  not understanding everything of the GUI yet but if that is so then it probably means you need to make it more simple so new player more easily can get in to your great game.

Offline shaelyn

• Salutes: 73
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
Re: Improvements on the GUI
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 08:48:12 am »
I know they're working on big changes that will change the UI, so for right now I'm going to answer a few things for you (what I know):

2. When I have added a friend all I can do is invite them to a game and not join theirs which I more then once want to have.
you can join theirs - you just need to exit the lobby you're in first.  if you're in a lobby, it'll default to inviting them.  if you're not in one, it'll default to joining others.

3. When I'm joining a game that has already started I might end up playing as a gunner on a gun I do not know (as a new player to Guns of Icarus) having a way to see details of the ship you work on just like you can in the lobby would help through a lot of these situations.
I found the Practice matches to be really useful for this.  If you want to practice with a real human being and see me on, shoot me a message in game; I'll start one up and invite you if I'm not in the middle of a match.

5. Looking at the achievements it often say 'Until next level: 1(or 2,3,etc) I do not really know what it is but I figured it was the amount of achievements left until level up, but if that is so it is not entirely correct since I have gotten like 3-5 achievements on a single run and not gotten level up. or is it some special achievement? if so then you need to explain it better.
It is achievements to level up, from the Log tab, not to be confused with achievements from under the Challenges tab.
And I'm going to point out you can hit Q at any time to see the achievements you need to level for the class you're currently running as.

Muse, take note of these when you make your changes!

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 03:34:41 pm »
Ugh, so many related threads and almost no effect so far (if you count clan changes). I also made two UI related threads about font colours and messages and no one seems to give a single damn.

you can join theirs - you just need to exit the lobby you're in first.  if you're in a lobby, it'll default to inviting them.  if you're not in one, it'll default to joining others.

Wow, good to know actually, I didn't really figure it out so far.

Point 3 isn't about lack of knowledge of the gun - it's about not knowing the ship loadout when we join the game sometimes. That's why people join as 2nd captains etc. When game is started you are pushed into it without a chance to see the ship or crew, which is stupid.

Of course all the points that IronTaurus mentioned should be fixed somehow. Not mentioning awful tutorials.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 05:23:11 pm »

If you join an in-progress match, it ought to first show you the lobby before you select a slot.  From this screen, you can click the ship name to see what guns it has, and even see the gear of everyone else on the ship by clicking the person icon next to their name, so you can be adequately prepared for whatever is on the ship, or choose not to get on that ship if it has things you're not comfortable with yet.

4. How do you create clans, is it even possible and if not why is it not possible? (if there is a way, maybe you should show how more clearly because I have yet to find it).

This should be in the "Community" tab in the top left.  I haven't actually attempted it myself, so I'm not sure on the specifics, but I'd put my money on it being in there.

Achievements are class-specific, so in order to level up a class, you need to do the achievements for that specific class.  See which ones you're working on in the progress tab -- each class has its own log page.

Welcome to the game and good luck!

Offline Yarr Vinny Scarr

• Salutes: 7
    • [♛]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 06:00:26 pm »

Yep, like sparklerfish already said,
Click in-game on the left top side on "Community < Clan list < Create clan" (Below the list of clans is the Create clan button)

There is one thing that is important for creating a clan : You need at least 5 people after 5 (or 7? cant remember) days. After that time the clan will be disbanded if you don't got that amount of people.

Offline shaelyn

• Salutes: 73
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 09:05:43 pm »

Wow, good to know actually, I didn't really figure it out so far.

yeah, and when I did finally figure that out, I remember being surprised that they didn't both pop up in the menu: the option to invite being grayed out if you're in the main lobby, and both options usable in the match lobby.  otherwise, it is confusing and not explained at all.  would like to see this revised in the future, or at least noted in tooltips what's going on. *cough*

Point 3 isn't about lack of knowledge of the gun - it's about not knowing the ship loadout when we join the game sometimes. That's why people join as 2nd captains etc. When game is started you are pushed into it without a chance to see the ship or crew, which is stupid.

so it is.  this is what happens when I respond to threads first thing in the morning when I should be heading out to work.

my offer still stands regardless, but carry on.

Of course all the points that IronTaurus mentioned should be fixed somehow. Not mentioning awful tutorials.

wait...I remember hearing somewhere along the line that they did change the tutorials.  I think it was the most recent patch.  don't know what changed or how good the tutorial is now.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 09:09:52 pm by shaelyn »

Offline IronTaurus

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 03:36:26 am »
Thanks for all the replies. I got some answers of things I did not know. About the lobby loadout before joining a match as an aswered on point 3 is good I guess but that does not change the fact that it could be needed to have a in game detail about the ship you are on, everything to make the game better.