Author Topic: Engineering Game 1.3.6  (Read 27062 times)

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: Engineering Game 1.3.6
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2014, 01:09:44 pm »
Forgive me, but you'll have to be a bit more specific on your meta build. I don't give meta much mind. I'll guess gat mortar?

For your gat range there, just don't use greased? If you're playing a range game, don't go limiting yourself by tossing in ammo that eliminates your advantage.

I'll admit the range changes of old haven't made fighting a flamethrower any easier, but isn't that the point of a flamethrower? To deter you from getting too close?

If I planned to stay out of flamer range I'd like to do so with 100-200 buffer at least. In the 500-600m distance needed for that, brawl-builds, including gat/mortar, don't work efficiently anymore. Hence I'd much rather go with a mid or longrange build. If I play a gat/mortar against a flamer build, I'd much rather chem and charge in than keeping my distance while I hope my enemy doesn't make a move during my repeated lesmok-gat reloads.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2014, 02:41:36 pm »
Perhaps I haven't come across a good flame build yet. In my thinking though, flamethrowers making people taking brawl builds (ie. gat/mortar) think of better approaches then, charging head long into it and simply winning is a good thing.

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2014, 11:23:35 pm »
Lesmok flamers: That nasty little surprise that many don't see coming till it hits. Especially engineers.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2014, 11:54:50 am »
I have yet to see a tactic or strategy that can get a ship out of flame lock. Every thing I hear is in preparation. Chem the ship, load heat sink, or stay out of range are all things to do before your ship is covered in flame. Once it is on fire what are your options?

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2014, 11:57:41 am »
Isn't it kind of like balloon lock where, depending on your position, sometimes your only hope is your ally? The best defense is not getting locked it the first place.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2014, 12:04:12 pm »
I have yet to see a tactic or strategy that can get a ship out of flame lock. Every thing I hear is in preparation. Chem the ship, load heat sink, or stay out of range are all things to do before your ship is covered in flame. Once it is on fire what are your options?
How would this be any different than Artemis spam knocking out engines/guns repeatedly?

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2014, 12:51:46 pm »
Counter to balloon lock is to sit on the ground and try and shoot out their carronade with a gat or strait up kill them.
Counter to Artemis spam is to focus turning engines turn tail and drop tar, or move behind cover.

I am not saying these techniques will work every time but they are something proactive the crew can do to turn the tables. All I can think of for getting flamed is to start begging my ally for help.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2014, 02:00:20 pm »
Counter to the flamer has to be done before the combat starts.