Author Topic: I made a troll galleon  (Read 19552 times)

Offline Battle Toads

• Salutes: 4
    • [kTen]
    • View Profile
Re: I made a troll galleon
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 08:59:28 pm »
for example a carronade + flamer build leaves the enemies trapped on the ground
[...]
Although trolling isn't effective in a competitive game, it is still very enjoyable when playing against newer players
Carronade-flamer is nowhere close to a troll build, and is one of the best counters to junkers and galleons. Done right it can be absurdly effective. The key is to not go for just trapping your enemy on the ground, but killing them as quickly as possible using your ship for the finishing blows.
Take a pyramidion with those on the front guns. Your first target is the balloon. Take that out, then work them down to the ground and goomba stomp.
While it doesn't really work against competitive metamidion teams, it holds up quite well in most competitive play.

Recently I saw your Rainbow Crash run that set up against Igh ,his friends and I on a mine junker (another troll build) However as you would know from that match, troll builds are capable of being effecitve in different ways than more meta builds, I felt that we would be just as effective against your ship if we used our artemis + hades side as opposed to our mine side. Considering that match, I take back my statement on "troll" builds being ineffective, however more conventional builds seem more easy and possible effective to use

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 10:25:23 pm »
for example a carronade + flamer build leaves the enemies trapped on the ground
[...]
Although trolling isn't effective in a competitive game, it is still very enjoyable when playing against newer players
Carronade-flamer is nowhere close to a troll build, and is one of the best counters to junkers and galleons. Done right it can be absurdly effective. The key is to not go for just trapping your enemy on the ground, but killing them as quickly as possible using your ship for the finishing blows.
Take a pyramidion with those on the front guns. Your first target is the balloon. Take that out, then work them down to the ground and goomba stomp.
While it doesn't really work against competitive metamidion teams, it holds up quite well in most competitive play.

Recently I saw your Rainbow Crash run that set up against Igh ,his friends and I on a mine junker (another troll build) However as you would know from that match, troll builds are capable of being effecitve in different ways than more meta builds, I felt that we would be just as effective against your ship if we used our artemis + hades side as opposed to our mine side. Considering that match, I take back my statement on "troll" builds being ineffective, however more conventional builds seem more easy and possible effective to use
Now hold on. Just one bloody moment. Before you start bashing that.
I want to point out that you did use your hades. Very early on in each engagement you got a couple hades shots to land. Which normally wouldn't be a problem.
Except my balloon engineer, despite repeated requests, ignored the fact that my balloon was on fire. Which means by the time I got into an actual engagement, my balloon was far too damaged to actually be able to move my ship up or down, which renders you dead against mines.
Second, for most of that match, my main engineer, despite being level 5, seemed to not be able to keep track of my engines or my hull. He wasn't even shooting guns. He just didn't seem to be able to pay attention to what he was doing. Multiple times I had to leave the helm to go rebuild the hull while my main engineer.... apparently did nothing.
And one of the few times I started to get the better of an engagement despite my engineering troubles, my gunner left because he didn't like my guns. So an AI showed up and hopped on my side guns.

I will give it to you that you played well that match. Your build is not a troll build. It can be very effective.
But by no means should that match have been handed to you so easily.
I apologize for ranting, but that match really irked me. I felt like I had a competent crew and every time I turned around it was falling down around me.
This is not to take away from your victory, but merely to point out that all things being equal, that match would not have gone that way.

And as I pointed out in my earlier post, that is not my troll build. That is a build I can and will take in competition.
http://www.twitch.tv/therobanddanshow/b/506640764 at about 1hr 30 minutes.
It is my serious build against junkers and galleons, and if I think the team can support it, against anyone else.

Regardless, that was not a troll build by either of us. You played well, and I made mistakes somewhere along the in choosing my loadout when assessing my crew.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 11:53:45 pm »
Lol if the Rainbow Crush is a troll build then Redria is the greatest pilot in the competitive scene and is just holding back on us.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 12:15:00 am »
if this isn't trolling I don't know what is http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=24gjI19FHdc#t=423

attack nuzzle ftw.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 12:19:22 am by Omniraptor »

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2014, 02:06:27 am »
It isn't, sitting is a valid technique that some people underestimate. No really, this is an actual strategy.

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 08:16:32 am »
Thanks Ducks :)

if this isn't trolling I don't know what is http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=24gjI19FHdc#t=423
Heyhey. You guys were owning us that match so I figured I had one chance to force you to meat grind. It worked remarkably well until we accidentally killed you both at once. As much fun as it is to tell your gunners "stop firing! stop firing! I don't actually want him dead yet!", it was just a strategy. :P

The points being that
1. You can't judge a build in one match, especially a pub match.
2. There is no real troll build. The only trolling you can do is intentionally making your ship useless (as a pilot or crew), or intentionally killing your ally. You can't troll an enemy. That just doesn't really logically click. Anything you might be able to view as trolling is probably also effective as a strategy in your current game, so it doesn't quite qualify as trolling to me.

Offline Battle Toads

• Salutes: 4
    • [kTen]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2014, 06:28:49 pm »
Thanks Ducks :)

2. There is no real troll build. The only trolling you can do is intentionally making your ship useless (as a pilot or crew), or intentionally killing your ally. You can't troll an enemy. That just doesn't really logically click. Anything you might be able to view as trolling is probably also effective as a strategy in your current game, so it doesn't quite qualify as trolling to me.

I understand what you are saying but I see "troll" builds as anything designed with the primary goal to annoy your enemy, rather than to kill them. For example a HW4TCHA (or quad hwatcha galleon) can be used as an effective or "meta" loadout with standard gatling + hull/disable damage of a hwatcha. However using that HW4TCHA build to disable an enemy so you can hit them with a harpoon up top and then fling that ship into a wall is "trolling". because your primary goal isn't killing your enemy but annoying them.

The best example of what I consider a troll build is one time on Canyon Ambush, I was playing on a pyramidion with a team mate who was also a pyra. However I didn't quite realize that the enemy team had a Mobula called "WE WILL LIGHT THE WAY" which consisted entirely of flare guns. (the other ship was a carronade fish but he didn't do anything and he isn't important) Despite the fact that we won 5-0 that was BY FAR the most dreadful match I have ever played. The Mobula's strategy was to find us, launch all 10 of its flares at us, hide in a canyon and repeat that same process over and over and over again. Even though flares do damage, they aren't extremely effective weapons in terms of damage. However they do BLIND you with a bright glow and the fire/light effect murders your frame rate and turns my game which usually runs GoIO at 60fps max settings, into a 20fps sludge of pain. Even though no one on my team died that game, I would rather have lost 0-5 to an army of meta junkers and meta pyras then face 1 all flare Mobula. After that match I will always be a firm believer that "trolling" does exist in GoIO

Offline The Sky Wolf

• Salutes: 43
    • [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2014, 10:43:16 pm »
4 hwachas with 2 artemis on your galleon in Duel at Dawn is ...ffffunnnnnnyyyyy... Rocket Power!

-edit-

The enemy team started cursing me.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 10:45:51 pm by Olde Grim Jack »

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 05:47:57 am »
4 hwachas with 2 artemis on your galleon in Duel at Dawn is ...ffffunnnnnnyyyyy... Rocket Power!

-edit-

The enemy team started cursing me.
Team rocket... now blasting you off your seat.

Offline The Sky Wolf

• Salutes: 43
    • [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2014, 09:12:37 pm »
In a game so well balanced every single build is legitimate. I've seen an all-harpoon Mobula win in Parisian Rumble flawlessly by hooking enemy ships and crashing them into structures then sitting on them to death. To think that any ship with any weapon set up is overpowered or underpowered is either an insult to the game tester's and balancer's decision making or just people being silly, sarcastic or writing on the forums for writing's sake.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 09:16:56 pm by Olde Grim Jack »