Author Topic: Realism has had it's fun...  (Read 84319 times)

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
Re: Realism has had it's fun...
« Reply #105 on: April 04, 2014, 01:57:00 pm »
Don't cherry pick your information.

im confused how this disproves this conversation;  gilder and others are suggesting that a fast game would attract more players.  The fact that new players have come because of sales and youtubers does not answer the question of why they left.  Many games experience new comers for the same reasons and are able to retain those players, why not GOIO?  i cant answer that question definitively but neither can you.  you say "maybe such-and-such reason" and i say different.  we are both essentially picking information and extrapolating conclusions that cant be proven or disproved. 
Please, show me a non-major multiplayer-only title game that, after a set of youtube exposure videos has managed to retain a substantially larger amount of players than Goio has. I'm well aware what you and gilder and a few others have suggested, but there's zero evidence that something like it would actually have any sort of positive influence and would magically get all the peoples.

All I did was point out what else was going on at those times which resulted in supposed player loss which directly contradicts the doom and gloom of awmahger nerfed the pyra and everyone left spew that was happening.

Offline Velvet

• Salutes: 45
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 04, 2014, 02:55:33 pm »

im confused how this disproves this conversation;  gilder and others are suggesting that a fast game would attract more players.  The fact that new players have come because of sales and youtubers does not answer the question of why they left.  Many games experience new comers for the same reasons and are able to retain those players, why not GOIO?  i cant answer that question definitively but neither can you.  you say "maybe such-and-such reason" and i say different.  we are both essentially picking information and extrapolating conclusions that cant be proven or disproved. 
Please, show me a non-major multiplayer-only title game that, after a set of youtube exposure videos has managed to retain a substantially larger amount of players than Goio has. I'm well aware what you and gilder and a few others have suggested, but there's zero evidence that something like it would actually have any sort of positive influence and would magically get all the peoples.

All I did was point out what else was going on at those times which resulted in supposed player loss which directly contradicts the doom and gloom of awmahger nerfed the pyra and everyone left spew that was happening.
I know a guy who lost interest in the game because of the Pyra/gat nerf. :P
enough anecdotes and it can become a statistic!

Offline Imagine

• [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #107 on: April 04, 2014, 03:04:05 pm »

Congrats, you know a guy. Singular.

Yep, that surely means literally everyone who's ever left the game did so because of that too.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 04, 2014, 03:08:37 pm »
Can we talk about the squid moving faster again?

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 04, 2014, 03:54:59 pm »
@Imagine: I'm fairly certain that Velvet was agreeing with you on that.

yeah I know there is no way to actually prove causation (short of a statistically accurate survey) I and gilder are suggesting the possibility.  but let's remember there is also no way to disprove it either.

I can't disprove that my entire life is actually a dream, but there's no evidence to suggest that it is.

The person making the assertion has to provide evidence, not the other way around.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 04, 2014, 06:41:37 pm »
I think the reason this game doesn't retain players well is because it is 100% reliant on working together with other people. They don't like that.

Offline Velvet

• Salutes: 45
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 04, 2014, 07:38:29 pm »
I think the reason this game doesn't retain players well is because it is 100% reliant on working together with other people. They don't like that.
I think that's fairly right. To elaborate, the focus on cooperation, tactics and teamwork necessitates longer lobbies and a slower pace of match as well as meaning that no individual can gain the satisfaction of claiming sole responsibility for some skilled move, because any truly skilled move is achieved by working together with the other 7+ members of the team. I don't think adjusting ship handling could ever really change that; anything that could be done to retain the impatient FPS crowd would destroy the character of the game and isn't really relevant to this discussion imo.

I think this should be approached from the perspective of what creates a fun and satisfying flow of matches and gamebalance, not ideas about fundamentally altering the base appeal of the game.

Offline Imagine

• [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2014, 07:56:54 pm »
The thing is, most people have gamer ADD. Everyone is always moving onto the next biggest thing, hell, it's something that I did with this game. I liked it quite a lot, played for like a month or so back in December of '12... and then I didn't play for like 6 months. Didn't have anything to do with balance, didn't have anything to do with relying on others, I just moved onto playing other stuff.

Yes, I returned, but most others won't. And there's nothing to blame for that, that's just how most people do.

Offline AbbyTheRat

• Salutes: 52
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 04, 2014, 08:40:32 pm »
I joined up via pewdiepie's video. Soo.. er..

I'm still here.. just saying.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 04, 2014, 09:32:43 pm »
This game has more players on avg after the ship mass changes and gat mortar changes than before it.

But honestly it is irrelevant to the debate. 

One person's fun is another person's torment (I'm looking at you shopping).

In a debate about what is fun, there is no correct or incorrect side, no tangible arguments and no side that can win.  It's just opinion.  Feel free to state an opinion but know that it will be only that, and unlikely to sway anyone else to change their held beliefs.

Offline -Mad Maverick-

• Salutes: 30
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 05, 2014, 12:33:41 am »
this is literally what im saying.  my opinion is that for me and many others this game isnt as fun as it used to be.  that is what i meant that we cant prove and disprove each other we both are using conjecture and not facts (since no survey exists) 

Offline -Mad Maverick-

• Salutes: 30
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 05, 2014, 12:35:05 am »

Yep, that surely means literally everyone who's ever left the game did so because of that too.

just like its my opinion that imagine has a hard time not sounding like an aggressive a-hole

Offline Imagine

• [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2014, 01:14:16 am »

just like its my opinion that imagine has a hard time not sounding like an aggressive a-hole
Says the guy who continues to throw around personal insults like candy.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 05, 2014, 01:25:27 am »
Can we prevent an argument here people? We all have our opinions about the subject but insulting each other over it will not help at all.

Offline Mr. Ace Rimmer

• Salutes: 31
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 05, 2014, 09:01:51 am »
You know in all honesty I think this thread is done anyways. We are just arguing in a perpetual circle with insults being thrown in for good measure. It's not conducive to a constructive discussion really is it?