Author Topic: Community eSports Sky League (March 22nd - April 26th)  (Read 44793 times)

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Community eSports Sky League (March 22nd - May 10th)
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 12:39:11 pm »
Seriously Byron. Besides maybe you should reread some of your posts in Cogs thread.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 12:45:16 pm »
Let's keep this civil guys

Offline Sammy B. T.

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 01:35:38 pm »
Apologies. I wasn't trying to be snide but simply point out that you often see posts criticizing these events.  There is nothing wrong with doing do.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 02:53:20 pm »
No worries, and I do agree that this is typical of what we see with these threads.

A question for Urz. What rules have been modified due to the conversation we had prior to this thread?

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 04:44:52 pm »
Do you need a full group of 8 people, or can you fly with AI? Can one clan bring multiple teams (different players on each team of course)? Is there a 'maximum' number of players you can have on a team (such as a team with 40 members, with different people playing each time under the same team name)?

Are teams removed if they're caught exploiting/ghosting or such? Disconnects and bugs showing up? (keep spawning off the ship, ship doesn't respawn, has the tutorial overlay, etc)

Logo is amazing btw.

Offline Puppy Fur

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 10
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 05:34:43 pm »
I like the simple rules and prizes. I feel the sub lock is needed. The prizes are worth getting. Good good.

Offline Mr. Ace Rimmer

• Salutes: 31
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2014, 06:13:09 am »
I must say Urz that you and Leto have done a fine job. You listened to our concerns and made changes where apropriate without damaging the vision you both had.

To Redria: Although behind closed doors, there were 3 out of four OVW leadership involved in the conversation (raising points based on a co-decision) along with a representative from Muse games. To my knowledge this is the first time that almost all the clan leaders have 'sat down at a table' and held a discussion on a tournament system. I can't thank Urz and Leto enough for how open they were with the process and how much they listened to and respected our concerns. That goes double for the clan leaders who participated in the conversation.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2014, 08:12:17 am »
No seriously... What's changed? all I see is a simplified version of what was given to us in the first place

Offline Mr. Ace Rimmer

• Salutes: 31
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2014, 08:23:43 am »
Bracket names were changed. The ban condition appears to be gone. The change to the substitute rule was implemented (reset half way.) I'm sure there are more changes in there somewhere.

Offline Urz

• Salutes: 75
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2014, 08:34:11 am »
No seriously... What's changed? all I see is a simplified version of what was given to us in the first place

There were two subjects which generated the most feedback in that meeting. The first was worries that locking subs for two months was too long, which led to the additional clause resetting sub status at the four week point. The second was repercussions for bailing on scheduled matches (suspension). That is still in place, however the policy document still needs to be cleaned up before it can be posted (waiting on Dan).

There was very little feedback about the structure of the tournament itself, so I'm not sure why you were expecting something different.

Offline Urz

• [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2014, 08:48:56 am »
Do you need a full group of 8 people, or can you fly with AI? Can one clan bring multiple teams (different players on each team of course)? Is there a 'maximum' number of players you can have on a team (such as a team with 40 members, with different people playing each time under the same team name)?

You are expected to show up to your matches with 8 human players. There's no limit on clans submitting multiple teams, each team is treated as a separate entity. There is also no limit on how many players may compete on a given team over the course of the season (as long as the substitute rule is accounted for).

Are teams removed if they're caught exploiting/ghosting or such? Disconnects and bugs showing up? (keep spawning off the ship, ship doesn't respawn, has the tutorial overlay, etc)

I'll paste here the relevant passages from current revision of the policy document (this may not be the final wording but gives the gist).

Should a Referee find that a rule or regulation has been broken and affected the match, it is at their discretion to stop the match and correct the issue in the most appropriate way possible according the the guidelines set out in this section.
Major complications, including complicated bugs, game breaking exploits, or extremely unfair conduct should be addressed immediately, with the Referee instituting a pause in the action and having both teams return to spawns, or in the case of a game that cannot be reset or an issue that has permanently affected the current game/score, a return to the lobby and new start will be requested by the Referee.
Repeated offenses will be taken into consideration when accepting invitations to subsequent tournaments, and may result in temporary or permanent suspensions from the tournament.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2014, 11:53:12 am »
This is not my fight and I know the people it concerns aren't interested in fighting it, however I feel something must be mentioned.

This was not just a Cesports production. Letonater, the Dan from The Rob And Dan Show, was a major part of putting this together and one of the main reasons people were willing to look past previous frictions between Cesports, the Community, and Muse. However there are some troubling characteristics about this announcement. The pre-eminence of of the Cesports branding is amazingly troublesome as this was supposed to be a new event that was neither Cogs or Cesports. In addition, the only mention of Leto is a mention that there will be some streaming on his channel. Without any knowledge of the putting together of all this, all one could infer from this announcement, is that Leto is just a streamer under the Cesports brand when in reality he is much more to this tournament than just a camera and commentator.

So why am I concerned about all this? It is just a name after all, correct? My motive for posting this is that naming matters as it implies ownership. We've been seeing a massive consolidation of the competitive scene in the last months and I feel many where okay because it was both Urz and Leto. I was able to look past my clan's previous issues with Urz because I knew that I could trust Leto to make sure things were welcoming to all clans. I still trust Leto, but the way this has been rolled out strongly implies that trust would not be met with power to ensure this is a welcoming community.

I promised Duck support of this, and trust me, I really want there to be as you said a "new premiere event for Guns of Icarus Online, Sky League will provide both teams and spectators with the highest level of airship competition!" So here is all that needs to be done to fix this. Publicly recognize the contributions of Leto and ease on slapping your branding everywhere. As things stand, Byron receives more credit for the production of this than Leto. In no way should recognizing the role and work that Leto has put into this should be controversial or difficult and it would mean a lot for myself and many members of my clan.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2014, 12:30:40 pm »
In my experience leniency in substitution rules is good for teams and good for tournaments.  It allows teams to always be able to play, even in the most extreme situations and it allows more teams in general to enter a tournament, since teams won't feel obligated to have an extensive set of reserves (that wind up not getting to compete most of the time).

There was some tournament a while ago that necessitated 5 out of the original crew that signed up show to every event  and subs couldn't play for more than one team a day.

This always seemed pretty fair to me. As far as I know there' never really been a problem with people using subs. When I competed I never would have preferred any sub over the crew I practiced and played with consistently so it's difficult for me to imagine a situation where getting a sub who may have played for another team gives a team any sort of advantage.

Offline Urz

• [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2014, 12:58:34 pm »
I've updated the announcement to mention TheRobAndDanShow at the beginning.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2014, 01:46:10 pm »
I genuinely appreciate it.