Author Topic: Voice Commands  (Read 9314 times)

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
Voice Commands
« on: February 07, 2014, 08:18:48 am »
I would like to see a revision of the voice commands menu where all the commands are available regardless of being on a gun, on the helm, or off helm and gun. This would prevent miss-command when quickly typing the wrong hotkeys when on/off helm and guns.

I would also like to see a LARGE reduction or complete removal of the voice command flood filter. (the filter is useless, if someone were so inclined to troll their crew members by spamming voicecommands, waiting 3 seconds between each command is just as anoying as if they were able to spam them every 1 second. All the filter does currently is reduce their effective legitimate use.)

I would like the voice command filter if still existant not to be exponential. (currently if you type a command before the cool-down has ended it adds seconds to the cool-down)

I would like the voice command filter if still existant to be independant of the text chat flood filter. (currently if you are in cool-down from voice command use, you are also prevented from typing messages in the chat)

Edit: Another thing I would love to see would be an additional voice command menu for captains to use, including comands such as "HOLD FAST" (don't go in) or "Retreat" etc.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 08:38:21 am by GeoRmr »

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
Re: Voice Commands
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 09:59:05 am »
or a voice command where you can say what to focus on firing.

Offline Dresdom

• Salutes: 15
    • [Don]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 10:33:07 am »
I like the spam filter as it is.

But I'd like all the commands aviable from any position. And some commands more would be useful (hold fire, good work, focus on X [when captain mark activated], aim the hull/guns/balloon etc...). And yes, some captain commands are a great idea (retreat, I need cover, We're attacking, wait for us, focus on X...)

But maybe this can be another problem: A huge voice commands branching.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 08:10:31 pm »
Now that in-game muting is implemented, I'd also like the voice command floodfilter to be removed. Watch any movie with a ship's captain handing out orders- how ridiculous would it be if he had to leave 3-second pauses?

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 08:42:22 pm »
There's a limitless number of commands that can be given through voice chat, and it'd be insane to try and get a signalling system to approach it. My most common command is "Don't shoot the mortar yet. Hold it.... hold it...... go go go!"

But back on topic, it'd be nice to be able to say what you need to, regardless of where you're at. If I'm on the gun, or fixing something, and I want to tell someone else to man the other gun or just a gun, my only option is to shout that -I'm- going to man a gun; which is the opposite message of what I want them to do. Same with engineering. If I'm fixing the balloon, and the hull is about to go down, I want to shout "Go fix the hull". My options are "I need help fixing the hull" or "I'm going to fix the hull".

I know that in an ideal situation, the captain is giving the orders for who to go where, but if things aren't ideal (the captain is new and you're trying to help organize players) you don't have a lot of options.

Personally I don't mind the filter. Generally speaking you don't need to send that many signals that frequently. I've only hit this filter once, when desperately trying to get my captain to turn to face the enemy. And if they're not going to listen to the first signal, they're not going to listen to the rest that you try to spam them with.

Offline GeoRmr

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 04:47:11 am »
You guys are happy that the voice command filter interferes with the regular chat filter? I'm sorry but this is extremely problematic.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 08:23:09 am »
I can't think of a scenario where the chat filter is an issue. Do you have something specific in mind?

Offline GeoRmr

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 04:09:29 pm »
I use 3 commands in quick succession, for example enemy sighted astern, enemy sighted on starboard beam, turn ship starboard side. The flood detection happens, I am in the middle of a conversation in text chat and am un-able to manually type messages because of using voice commands. If at any point the flood detection activates and I neglect to wait the alloted period of time even more seconds are added to the cool down. WHY SHOULD VOICE COMMAND COOL DOWN STOP ME TYPING IN CHAT?

My other concern is how easy it is to trigger the voice command filter when using them legitimately. I hope other non-microphone users who use the voice commands can comment on this. In panic situations it can be desirable to say more than one thing every three seconds, and failure to perfectly time 3 seconds between each command exponentially increases the cool down. THIS IS NOT FAIR.

With the increased ease of holding tab to block people in game I don't feel that removing the filter will give rise to huge numbers of trolls, but will allow their legitimate use to be more fluid and effective.

I speak as a non-microphone user who is involved in this games competitive scene, I strongly feel that this is a problem that should be addressed. The imagined scenario happens extremely frequently and I implore anyone who disagrees to play this game using voice commands and no microphone for a day.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 04:11:25 pm by GeoRmr »

Offline Cheesy Crackers

• Salutes: 82
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 08:20:12 am »
or a voice command where you can say what to focus on firing.
The captain can look at an enemy ship and press B to put cross hairs over a ship. Would probably be more noticeable if it came with a voice command like "Target Pyramidion", but then would get a little confusing if the enemy has the same ship types.