Author Topic: The Bounty Season  (Read 16984 times)

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: The Bounty Season
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 02:31:05 am »
Ok, now for Smollett's awesome idea from left field.

People should become outlaws through their actions.

From now on there should be a secret achievement (pop 100 enemy balloons, kill 10 ships with mines etc etc).  If you finish the secret achievement there should be a message that pops up at the end of the match:

Noble sailor, through your dastardly destruction of dirigible balloons, you have happened upon precious sky whale oil being transported on a Yeshan vessel of considerable value.  It's yours for the taking, however if you choose to take it, you'll be a wanted man and hunted across the skies.  The choice is yours, pretend you never saw it and continue on with your life or take the sky whale oil, become a wealthy aeornaut, wanted across the land and hunted for a significant bounty.

Bounty hunters will be notified of the crime of their quarry when selecting their names in the lobbies; people who desire to be Wanted will try to figure out the secret achievements and if fortunate, stumble upon them and commit crimes on the guns of icarus universe.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 02:33:16 am »

From now on there should be a secret achievement (pop 100 enemy balloons, kill 10 ships with mines etc etc).  If you finish the secret achievement there should be a message that pops up at the end of the match:

Noble sailor, through your dastardly destruction of dirigible balloons, you have happened upon precious sky whale oil being transported on a Yeshan vessel of considerable value.  It's yours for the taking, however if you choose to take it, you'll be a wanted man and hunted across the skies.  The choice is yours, pretend you never saw it and continue on with your life or take the sky whale oil, become a wealthy aeornaut, wanted across the land and hunted for a significant bounty.

Bounty hunters will be notified of the crime of their quarry when selecting their names in the lobbies; people who desire to be Wanted will try to figure out the secret achievements and if fortunate will stumble upon them and commit crimes on the guns of icarus Universe.
Your mine fetish does not have to be implemented in this idea.

Offline Milevan Faent

• Salutes: 15
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 03:14:01 am »

Bounty hunters will be notified of the crime of their quarry when selecting their names in the lobbies; people who desire to be Wanted will try to figure out the secret achievements and if fortunate will stumble upon them and commit crimes on the guns of icarus Universe.
Your mine fetish does not have to be implemented in this idea.

Are you kidding me? Mine fetishes HAVE to be in it! That'd be awesome!

But this begs the question: would there be different acheivement requirements for pilot/gunner/engineer? Would one member of a crew doing it unlock the option for the others?

Offline Jereven

• Salutes: 7
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 11:27:44 am »
I would say not lower then 1 but that's my opinion.

I say 2 points rather than 1 so it's still clear to a bounty hunter that they get at least 1 point for killing you.

The values and such are adjustable, of course.  (One possible issue is that someone with a 50-50 win rate will tend to maintain their 10 pt bounty, and there isn't a lot of space between 2 to 10 to represent people who might have a 40-60 or worse win rate).  On the flipside, it does give a sort of leader board to brag to the world about how good you are (players with the highest bounty tend to win more of their games), though it's not a perfect indicator of skill (If I win 9 games and lose 1, and you lose 1 game and then win 9, your bounty will be 95, mine will be 50.)  I don't think that's so much of a problem though.

The other issue is that you can simply stop playing until bounty season is over once you have a high enough score that you don't think you'll be toppled.  The simplest fix for this would be have the standings based on highest bounty achieved, rather than current bounty -- so there's no penalty for losing a match.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 02:14:44 am »
I would say not lower then 1 but that's my opinion.

I say 2 points rather than 1 so it's still clear to a bounty hunter that they get at least 1 point for killing you.

The values and such are adjustable, of course.  (One possible issue is that someone with a 50-50 win rate will tend to maintain their 10 pt bounty, and there isn't a lot of space between 2 to 10 to represent people who might have a 40-60 or worse win rate).  On the flipside, it does give a sort of leader board to brag to the world about how good you are (players with the highest bounty tend to win more of their games), though it's not a perfect indicator of skill (If I win 9 games and lose 1, and you lose 1 game and then win 9, your bounty will be 95, mine will be 50.)  I don't think that's so much of a problem though.

The other issue is that you can simply stop playing until bounty season is over once you have a high enough score that you don't think you'll be toppled.  The simplest fix for this would be have the standings based on highest bounty achieved, rather than current bounty -- so there's no penalty for losing a match.
Oh I've indeed miscalculated. A bounty with one point and winning 1 match means he has 11 points. The bountyhunter that kills him would then get 5.5 points. But I don't know how you want to do it when a bounty has 25 points. Would you give the bountyhunter 12.5 points?

Offline Jereven

• Salutes: 7
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 08:01:16 pm »
Oh I've indeed miscalculated. A bounty with one point and winning 1 match means he has 11 points. The bountyhunter that kills him would then get 5.5 points. But I don't know how you want to do it when a bounty has 25 points. Would you give the bountyhunter 12.5 points?

Exactly.  The intent is to make higher-bounty players (presumably due to being more skilled) into a greater reward for hunters.

As far as fractional points go, they're probably irrelevant for the sake of discussion.  If Muse was to pick up this idea, the way fractional points are handled would be such a minor component in the overall balance that it really wouldn't matter which way they went with it.  The implications of any sort of system change though, and how any issues could be resolved -- that's what interests me ;)

Offline Insignus

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 10:26:26 pm »
I agree with increasing the slots.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 06:41:15 am »
Become an outlaw if you kill a friendly ship with mines and/or ramming.

I think I'm gonna' be Wanted rather a lot...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 06:42:47 am by GeoRmr »