Author Topic: The RangeFinder Thread!  (Read 17492 times)

Offline The Sky Wolf

• Salutes: 43
    • [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
Re: The RangeFinder Thread!
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 05:19:34 pm »
rangefinder was made so gunners could hit better.
however that requires the captain to stay on the same altitude. as soon as this differ, so does the aim on the gun you are using.

if you want to talk about how the rangefinder works in the first place, try explain that :p
and also the moonshine.

think the devs made it clear that the game is not gonna revolve around realism as it is a steampunk / dieselpunk world.

just saying that altitude is important for a lot of players, myself included.

Trigonometry is how the range finder works.

You're obviously a witch, because math is evil. Gerroff my forums!!!!@@

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 02:12:47 pm »
Rangefinders are a thing irl, but before we got super-precise parts and electronic measuring, they were a lot wider. Looked something like this http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6d/Coincidence_Range_Finder.jpg

Offline The Sky Wolf

• Salutes: 43
    • [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 01:30:37 am »
Range-Finders are used by modern snipers sometimes. It's mostly the nooby snipers that use 'em, but everything has it's place.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 02:26:44 pm »
I would prefer the range finder paint a dot on a target every one on the ship can see, and have that dot be accompanied with distance and if you are on a gun, the shot drop and max range data for that weapon. I hold the first Tribe's game range finder as the high water mark for team driven spotting.

The green line is a targeting laser being shot by a friendly, the white line indicates where you have to aim on the X axis to hit it if it is stationary, the blue triangle indicates where you have to shoot to hit the point in space. There is a second blue square that indicates the high angle you need to shoot for the target. If there is any leading that needs to be done the gunner or the spotter has to figure that out on their own.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 06:07:07 am »
I would prefer the range finder paint a dot on a target every one on the ship can see, and have that dot be accompanied with distance and if you are on a gun, the shot drop and max range data for that weapon. I hold the first Tribe's game range finder as the high water mark for team driven spotting.

The green line is a targeting laser being shot by a friendly, the white line indicates where you have to aim on the X axis to hit it if it is stationary, the blue triangle indicates where you have to shoot to hit the point in space. There is a second blue square that indicates the high angle you need to shoot for the target. If there is any leading that needs to be done the gunner or the spotter has to figure that out on their own.
What game is dis!? O.O

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2014, 09:08:08 am »