Author Topic: Hi! Am New & Slightly Disheartened  (Read 22665 times)

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: Hi! Am New & Slightly Disheartened
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 09:30:21 am »
Thanks again for the pointers earlier Kyren - I had a really successful night: 9 games, 4 wins, streak of 3 so far.  One of them lasted like 10 or 20 minutes and was fairly epic.

I'm getting the impression that Engineer is a semi-thankless job though.  I'm just stuck towards the back twiddling my thumbs until something happens (while the more experienced crew "bonks" my stations anyways), and even then, a major attack usually eats through the hull too fast to repair it (I still blame the Pilot).

Overall, I'm having a blast with everything.

It unfortunately is. Unless you repair out of a hairy situation to where the captain can pull off a maneuver and save the situation, engineers are pretty much taken for granted. Cant say I agree with it, but you get the idea.

Instead of chilling at the back, make yourself be more fluid around the ship. Try to see where the other engie is going, and let him do his work while you do something else. And a real important sub-task of the engie is spotting other ships that the captain otherwise would miss due to line-of-sight.

There will be times where you sit there and feel useless, but to me as captain, its the ever present assurance that when damage is incoming, my engies are ready.

Good to hear its panning out for you.

Offline Kyren

• Salutes: 80
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 09:36:47 am »
Thanks again for the pointers earlier Kyren - I had a really successful night: 9 games, 4 wins, streak of 3 so far.  One of them lasted like 10 or 20 minutes and was fairly epic.

Now that was well worth going to bed at 1 then :P I'm glad to hear!

Offline Veffidia

• Salutes: 6
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 03:46:26 pm »
Wait, which ship were you engineering on? If you're on a Spire, then you'll be pretty much perpetually glued to the hull, but the other ships should give you a chance to do things.

I played at least one match on the same team as you yesterday... I told you not to surrender. We lost anyways, but we still got two kills. Remember, you should never give up in this game. No matter what the odds, you can always beat the other team :)

I remember that round.  I think that was one of the earlier ones I played last night.  It was definitely an exciting one too.  The way I see it, whether we shoot down other ships or complete map objectives isn't entirely a concern of mine - my job is to make sure that the ship stays flying and keeps working as it's supposed to.  Even if we ultimately lose the match, I want to be able to at least know that it wasn't because of me & that the ship stayed flying longer than the other ones out there.

I was on a number of different ships - I think mostly Goldfish, but there may have been a Pyramidion thrown in there too.

Unless you repair out of a hairy situation to where the captain can pull off a maneuver and save the situation, engineers are pretty much taken for granted. Cant say I agree with it, but you get the idea.

Instead of chilling at the back, make yourself be more fluid around the ship. Try to see where the other engie is going, and let him do his work while you do something else. And a real important sub-task of the engie is spotting other ships that the captain otherwise would miss due to line-of-sight.

There will be times where you sit there and feel useless, but to me as captain, its the ever present assurance that when damage is incoming, my engies are ready.

Good to hear its panning out for you.

I try to do all that anyways so long as the hull isn't under fire.  One of the first victories last night happened while I was on a Chain Gun.  It's just that I don't know if the other crew see that "Rank 1" on me and think they have to babysit my station in addition to theirs.  Most times that a ship popped in to view, someone else was already on top of it (which is probably a good thing).  I guess I'm just shocked at how fast it seems that these different ships can get holes blown into them.....there are some times where it really seems like the hull never even stood a fighting chance even though I was constantly repairing it.

.....and sorry I kept you up so late Kyren!

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 04:06:51 pm »
It's just that I don't know if the other crew see that "Rank 1" on me and think they have to babysit my station in addition to theirs.

As long as you are communicating, and can take orders from your captain, your a rank 9 in my eyes...

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 04:07:40 pm »
It's just that I don't know if the other crew see that "Rank 1" on me and think they have to babysit my station in addition to theirs.

As long as you are communicating, and can take orders from your captain, your a rank 9 in my eyes...

Oh not 10, since its the highest now? Dont be so mean Shink, haha.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 04:52:29 pm »

Oh not 10, since its the highest now? Dont be so mean Shink, haha.

When I see you reach lvl 10, then I will have you edit my post :P

Offline Veffidia

• [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 12:17:16 am »
Had a great night tonight.  I'm a lot more confident now in my skills as an Engineer.  I'm just about to hit Rank 3, so make sure to watch out for the number under my forum avatar here to go up soon~

I'd love to get a critique on how I did from Shinkurex since I was mostly crewing with him this past evening.  I'm really trying to make sure I'm learning the best and most efficient ways to keep these ships in the air........so if you see me amidst your crew, expect me to be shouting orders at you to keep stuff out of harm's way unless you're a higher Engineering Rank than I am!    :3

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 01:52:08 am »
If you want your forum number to change, just log out of the forums then log back in.  Logging in "forever" stops the update from occurring.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 07:37:51 am »
Had a great night tonight.  I'm a lot more confident now in my skills as an Engineer.  I'm just about to hit Rank 3, so make sure to watch out for the number under my forum avatar here to go up soon~

I'd love to get a critique on how I did from Shinkurex since I was mostly crewing with him this past evening.  I'm really trying to make sure I'm learning the best and most efficient ways to keep these ships in the air........so if you see me amidst your crew, expect me to be shouting orders at you to keep stuff out of harm's way unless you're a higher Engineering Rank than I am!    :3

I'd have you flying with me anytime... You were responsive to our captain, and you took charge of the other engie (even though he may have not listened from time to time).... The only thing I would recommend, is to look for a mic of any kind.... Typing in chat can decrease response time in a pickle... All in all, you kept us alive, and we started on a wining streak that was hard to beat :P

Offline Veffidia

• [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2013, 08:50:37 am »
Awesome, thanks!  Hopefully I can keep doing that well when I eventually try out Gunner~

Eh....I'll probably get a better reaction time & all that with the typing as I learn the different ship layouts & get myself used to everything a bit more, but I definitely get where you're coming from with the mic thing.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 08:56:35 am »
Eh....I'll probably get a better reaction time & all that with the typing as I learn the different ship layouts & get myself used to everything a bit more, but I definitely get where you're coming from with the mic thing.

Once you really get to know what you're doing, typing will work just fine. I've never had a mic, but it doesn't hold me back when I'm engineering. The only reason that you'd need to speak as an engi would be to ask a question or point something out. You won't be asking many questions after you get to know the game well, and pointing things out to the captain is just as easy in text as it is in voice.

So don't worry, you'll be fine :)

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 09:23:41 am »

Once you really get to know what you're doing, typing will work just fine. I've never had a mic, but it doesn't hold me back when I'm engineering. The only reason that you'd need to speak as an engi would be to ask a question or point something out. You won't be asking many questions after you get to know the game well, and pointing things out to the captain is just as easy in text as it is in voice.

So don't worry, you'll be fine :)

Heck... That was the only critique that I could come up with.... It's more of a personal choice for me, just b/c I don't normally pay attention to the lower left hand corner... you could've been saying I was a horrible gunner or something, and I would never know

Offline David Dire

• Salutes: 62
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile