Author Topic: The Sunday Rumble (Sundays @ 4pm EST)  (Read 17231 times)

Offline Urz

• Salutes: 75
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
The Sunday Rumble (Sundays @ 4pm EST)
« on: August 05, 2013, 08:42:16 pm »

Stream link: http://www.twitch.tv/cesports

The Sunday Rumble is a weekly competitive event that is open to everyone. There are no loadout or substitute restrictions. You don't need to be member of a clan or pass some kind of preliminary to get your shot. If you show up with a team of 8, you get to play.

The format is straightforward. You can register your team in this thread ahead of time or "at the door", as long as you get it to me before the 4pm EST start time. All registrations are on a per-week basis: you don't need to fly the same team as the previous or any week. The registered teams will be placed into a double elimination bracket which will be viewable on the CeSports Challonge page, with each match being a best of three. The map order and spawn side for each game will be randomly generated from the following pool: Canyon Ambush, Duel at Dawn, Northern Fjords, Paritan Rumble.

The first Rumble will be this upcoming Sunday, August 11th. As always you can contact me on Steam or here on the forums. Looking forward to seeing you in the skies!

Offline MasX

• Salutes: 26
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
Re: The Sunday Rumble (Sundays @ 4pm EST)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 09:55:20 pm »
kool

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 05:28:19 am »
trying to make the all star team

Offline Urz

• [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 07:53:41 am »
Don't forget to get your signups in before the 4pm start time!

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 01:07:49 pm »
Who is casting?

Offline naufrago

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 02:03:10 pm »
MM likes the idea of the sunday rumble and will most likely be attending in the future. But unfortunately we'll have to skip out on today due to certain members having other obligations.

Hoping the sunday rumble becomes a regular thing!

Offline Chango

• Salutes: 13
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 02:10:43 pm »
Naufrago, make a partnership with another clan to get peeps. NAF and Gents are making a co op team.

Offline Uiribus

• Salutes: 0
    • [VAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 02:21:59 pm »
The Valiant can't assemble a team for this week’s rumble either. But we hope to see this event becoming a regular thing.

I can be hired as a mercenary for todays rumble if anyone is interested.

Offline Strite

• Salutes: 6
    • [HVN]
    • View Profile
    • Haven
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 02:23:52 pm »
Haven/BFS will be participating in future rumbles for sure, unfortunately we just couldn't get the people together for today either. Look for us next week hopefully :)

Offline Miau

• Salutes: 5
    • [OVWo]
    • View Profile
    • Overwatch Events & Announcements
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 03:54:35 pm »
Just found out about this. Assembling a team now! We should be good for it.

[OVW] Overwatch.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 05:54:52 pm »
I'm sorry, but I'm going to get very mean here. The way this first week was organized was done very poorly. If your going to do two brackets, you either need to cast two games at a time, one from either bracket, schedule times to show up, or work both outer brackets in alternating back and forth. It is absolutely insane and inconsiderate to work an entire bracket, and expect the other to wait. My team waited two hours to start at the B bracket. Now you have to keep in mind that someone from the B bracket will not be moving on. That mean's that they waited two hours to lose essentially. They could have been done immediately, or right after bracket A had a go, and went about their day. This needs serious re-work or many of us will not be back next week.

Offline Urz

• [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 09:20:16 pm »
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "two brackets". We started with a double elimination format, but due to time concerns dropped to single elim after the first match. Your match was played in the same bracket as everyone else's, and all matches were played in the order they were seeded in the bracket. Next week we will be starting with single elim for sure.

There were problems today. Papa dropped off the map right before we were going to start (his Canadian internet shit out), my mic was refusing to work, there was a late signup. I was not prepared and did not have contingencies in place for these things. This led to a pretty large delay starting the event and that's absolutely my fault. As for time issues, it's tough. Best of three GOIO matches tend to run about 40 minutes so there will be people waiting regardless. There are a number of possible routes (or combinations thereof) which could serve to mitigate this issue:

1) Run multiple games simultaneously. This means either not streaming some of the games, or actually broadcasting a second stream with commentary. Either way, I'm currently running the event single-handedly, and these options would require additional manpower.

2) Scheduled match times. This adds consistent wait times between matches. You would know exactly when you needed to show up, but the downside is that this increases the overall length of the event substantially.

3) No change to scheduling, but make sure the teams are more aware of the bracket's play order. All the matches are labeled alphabetically and played in that order. As long as you're within contact with your captain, you can reasonably estimate when your match will be played.

As of now, I'm not sure which is the best path to pursue. I'd be fine running matches simultaneously if I can get some people to help. Otherwise I will be working to reduce delays and get the matches starting more expediently.

My goal with this and every tournament I run is to create a competitive event that the players enjoy. I'm sorry that for you I failed; this was the first Sunday Rumble and I will be working hard to improve it going forward.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 09:24:22 pm by Urz »

Offline Puppy Fur

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 10
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 09:43:03 pm »
I'd like to say thanks for letting us participate. It was very challenging and a surprising win :3

Offline CoughDrop

• Salutes: 3
    • [OVWn]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 06:41:23 am »
Hello, I played in today's match and was wondering: Would it be possible to deliberately delay the video feed by ~2-5 minutes? Information from the video feed could easily ruin a well-placed trap in game.

Offline Urz

• [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 07:02:00 am »
Hello, I played in today's match and was wondering: Would it be possible to deliberately delay the video feed by ~2-5 minutes? Information from the video feed could easily ruin a well-placed trap in game.
The immediate chat feedback which comes with an undelayed stream is very helpful, during this time while I'm working the kinks out of my streaming setup. Once I'm more confident in the broadcasting process, I'll look at adding a delay. For the time being we'll be working under the honour system.