Author Topic: The "We Hate Field Trips" Mini Rumble (August 3rd @ 2pm EST)  (Read 27599 times)

Offline Urz

• Salutes: 75
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
"I'm sure everyone can recall a time in their childhood where they had to deal with the prospects of an undesirable field trip. Whether it's to the box factory, an American baseball game, or the Spire dis-assembly line, you know that hours of boredom are ahead. But wait! If you just 'misplace' that permission slip, you get to hang out in the classroom playing video games with your buddies, as you have a sub with no planned assignments."

-Abraham Lincoln

The "We Hate Field Trips" Mini Rumble is a one-time event being run for those who don't necessarily want a "trip to the box factory", and would rather play some competitive GOIO on their Saturday. The structure is a four team, single-elimination bracket, which will be first-come, first-served (sign up in this thread).

The format is simple. Each set is a best of three with no restrictions on weapon or ship choice. There will be a total of three sets played in the bracket, and the only rule for substitutes is a player can't fly with two different teams. The map pool is as follows: Canyon Ambush, Duel at Dawn, Northern Fjords, Paritan Rumble. The map order for each set will be randomly generated.

To sign up, RSVP in this thread. There are only four guaranteed spots available. You may also contact me on Steam.

Start time world clock.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 08:47:24 am by Shinkurex »

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: The "We Hate Field Trips" Mini Rumble (August 3rd @ 2pm EST)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 06:17:46 am »
would you be willing to run more groups of 4 teams if you get some help monitoring it?

Offline Urz

• [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 06:24:21 am »
would you be willing to run more groups of 4 teams if you get some help monitoring it?

The first four teams are guaranteed spots. If however eight teams sign up, I'll run two brackets.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 06:28:38 am by Urz »

Offline Squash

• Salutes: 71
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 08:09:28 am »
This would run simultaneous to, or at least dangerously close to the Spire tournament, which was
A) Announced first
B) Muse official stamped

So The Paddling will skip this one.

Offline Charon

• Salutes: 95
    • [RAFT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 08:20:57 am »
Not just Duck unity on this one. Setting up an unofficial event in close proximity to an officially sanctioned tournament seems like a pretty disrespectful move. Not to take anything away from Mr Lincoln up there, but his statement about the spire dis assembly line only further confirms that this was the intent.

RAFT 's out.

Offline Moriarty

• Salutes: 18
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 08:31:03 am »
Maybe if it was on a different date and day. But only maybe.

You cant go past the fact this is the first event planned and overseen by muse, its a big deal.

Offline Urz

• [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 08:39:54 am »
This is an event for the people who were expecting or wanted to play/watch competitive GOIO on that date, but no longer are able to because Cogs was cancelled to make room for the Spire tournament.

Those who want to fly in a Spire-only tournament will. Those who have no interest in that event are free to sign up here.

I don't see a conflict, and also don't really need verification that you're not participating.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 08:50:39 am by Urz »

Offline Strite

• Salutes: 6
    • [HVN]
    • View Profile
    • Haven
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 08:54:07 am »
I don't see how this is a problem personally. The Spire tournament is something different and I'm looking forward to flying in it but is there some sort of unwritten rule that states that two tournaments cannot run simultaneously or on the same day? Dangerously close to the Spire tournament? Come on, there is like 3 and a half hours difference between the start times, you really think the Spire tourney is going to run 3 and a half hours?

I find myself increasingly perplexed (and more than a little exasperated) with some of the teams within the GoI community, on the one hand I've seen people from some of the bigger teams out there complaining about the same old tournaments month after month yet nobody seems to want to take the initiative and organise something themselves, then I see those same people complaining about a lack of newcomer teams entering tourneys and it being the same faces season after season and yet those same teams want to snap up every newcomer to the game when they already have several sub-teams.

Anyhow, /rant. I'm in the process of talking to Haven's guys to see if we can field a team in this as well as fly alongside BFS in the Spire tourney so we'll see. Either way, best of luck Urz and I'll be watching the game regardless :D

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 09:37:16 am »
Heh, call me "dangerous" but the Merry Men will field a team of two boats.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 11:33:36 am »
This would run simultaneous to, or at least dangerously close to the Spire tournament, which was
A) Announced first
B) Muse official stamped

So The Paddling will skip this one.
Simultaneous? I think you probably need to look up the definition of the word again.

I also wasn't aware that the only tournaments that can be played in had to be "Muse official stamped". Learn a little something new every day~

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 02:10:55 pm »
Sounds like fun to me.

I'm also not sure what makes this disrespectful. Some people don't want to participate in the spire tournament; why is that an issue?

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 02:43:24 pm »
corvus signing up:

players:
Skrimskraw
vetta
count havelock
mattilald anguisad

crafeksterty
grayknight
viktor wallace
sweet absinthe

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 06:12:20 pm »
Simultaneous? I think you probably need to look up the definition of the word again.

I also wasn't aware that the only tournaments that can be played in had to be "Muse official stamped". Learn a little something new every day~

The spire tourney is 3 and half hours earlier. While the Spire tourney might be done in that time frame, having the two competitions right on top of each other would easily be overwhelming. Also the description of this event literally puts it forward as an alternative, not a supplement. Of course alternative tourneys are just fine, splitting up the player base is fine, just don't be surprised when there is backlash.

If it was a bit later (4-5pm est) I would probably try to get the Brood in but I just can't exepct the Brood to do both. Best of luck, looks like a fun tourney.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 10:32:06 pm »
Part of the problem is the time is bad for some of us on the Spire thing aside from the fact it looks like it'll be a complex disaster. I don't mind flying competitive matches in this for ya Urz but as for crews, that might be iffy since a chunk of ours are trying to get into the Spire event and I don't want to push them to have to do two events back to back. At the very least I'd open myself up for mercenary flying unless Brick was game. Then we'd need a semi mercenary crew.

Offline Urz

• [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 03:34:36 am »
Part of the problem is the time is bad for some of us on the Spire thing aside from the fact it looks like it'll be a complex disaster. I don't mind flying competitive matches in this for ya Urz but as for crews, that might be iffy since a chunk of ours are trying to get into the Spire event and I don't want to push them to have to do two events back to back. At the very least I'd open myself up for mercenary flying unless Brick was game. Then we'd need a semi mercenary crew.

I'd love to see you guys participate, but don't worry too much if you can't make it work. Now that the uncertainties "behind the scenes" have been settled, there will be more events from me going forward.

Two spots remain available!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 03:38:25 am by Urz »