Author Topic: Calculating distance  (Read 15368 times)

Offline snor-laxatives

• Salutes: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Calculating distance
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 02:30:40 pm »
To beat a dead horse, I also like the idea of not knowing the exact range by looking at your map.  However, I had never considered using the spy glass as a was to measure distance!  Well done!

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 04:24:08 pm »
Would love very much if Muse made all blocks on all maps either 500m or 1km.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 04:28:42 pm »
Me too, and then put a legend on the side so new players could catch up quicker to the vets in judging distances.

I mean how awesome would it be if the main engineer pulls up the map as you're entering combat and goes, captain we're at approximately 800 meters from the enemy and closing fast, almost within gattling range.

Offline Letus

• Salutes: 34
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 12:44:49 am »
Me too, and then put a legend on the side so new players could catch up quicker to the vets in judging distances.

I mean how awesome would it be if the main engineer pulls up the map as you're entering combat and goes, captain we're at approximately 800 meters from the enemy and closing fast, almost within gattling range.

Wasn't that Uhura's job?

Offline Kharthynogus

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 01:24:25 pm »
I did some googling and found something brilliant:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coincidence_rangefinder

This is an old, low-tech device used to find ranges for artillery and such back in WWII.

http://youtu.be/wXRtj4Hripo

I think this would make an awesome addition to the game as a pilot tool. You could use it to find the range of a given target, which you could then relay to your gunners. The disadvantage in comparison to the spyglass is that you wouldn't be able to zoom in and out and that you couldn't spot with it. This would also fit with the thematic feel of the game world.

Controls would be simple: right click to use, and use the scroll wheel to line up the images.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 01:31:01 pm by Kharthynogus »

Offline Eukari

• Salutes: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 11:08:24 pm »
That's an interesting idea. It could certainly see use as an alternate pilot tool for Gunners to use, rather than just everyone bringing a spyglass.

My one concern is that most combat, barring Mercury/Lumberjack builds, seems to take place rather close these days. It wouldn't be much use for a brawler (if you're too far to know how far you are, you're too far), except maybe for figuring out whether the enemy ship can shoot you while you move into cover...actually, that does sound useful.

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 12:08:28 am »
I would prefer Muse just made the blocks uniform, we don't have to have A-E on each map, some could be A-H and Some could be A-D.

that sacrifices resolution in  saying where an enemy is on the map and would not look aesthetically pleasing.  better to just mark the distances on the map or off to the side. all maps have an indication of direction and a scale and that is what ours are missing. with out those two pieces of information a map is not a map.