Author Topic: New Scope for Ship Condition knowledge?  (Read 10627 times)

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
New Scope for Ship Condition knowledge?
« on: June 18, 2013, 11:21:06 pm »
There is a flaw in Goio that is immersion braking and that is the upper left corner.

The kill or destruction call. But it works just like your usual shooter "Guy shot guy 2".
It does it for all different component destructions and different kills.
Which makes things quite unobviouse.

Not only that, the stats on the weapons dont make sense and hard to apply it on actual gameplay.

Now, in the competetive scene when someone knows exactly how many shots it takes to take down armor or hull down. But then out gunned when sometimes the damage output did not do its job because the engineers on the recieving side did a good job. But that usualy covers 1 extra shot or 2 extra seconds of shooting.

To make things more apparent on how much armor/hull the ship but WITH the added visual effect that we have now is.

Condition scope
A scope that only works on ships spotted by a regular Scope.
This condition scopes shows the ammount of health and armor the ship is at.
But it does not "MARK" like the regular one, only the viewer sees the ammount of health and armor while having it up.
But he only sees health on MARKED ships. So when you are battling against ships unmarked inside cloud cover and you cant spot him, then you still have to guess its health.

This is the type of scope that Pilots and Gunners would want. Engineers would not think of it too much. For gunners, they could anticipate before going into a gun when to shoot. Or the gunner could keep aim until the Pilot calls when to fire.

Not only that, it will also answer why some fights just take a long time, and would make this more apperent for newcomers.

What do you guys think? Because the upper left corner is not obviouse to what hull damage is broken.

A scope that only works on marked ships, and only seen by the viewer himself to force him the knowledge alone and to communicate it with his crew who does not have that new scope.

Offline Morblitz

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 35
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: New Scope for Ship Condition knowledge?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 01:23:18 am »
While ideas for new stuff in games are always good and I don't discourage them, I am fairly against the idea of any sort of definite and exact readout of how a ship is fairing - such as health bars. It removes the skill and intuition out of tactics. Can I take this ship out in the next volley? Or, do I need to pull off some risky manuever to get the job done? Health bars take the unknown element out of play, which lessens the risk and uncertainty that comes with making a judgement call, which I think would not be a good thing.

Hammering a ship hard and then wondering why they are still alive is part of what makes this game great. You never quite know what is going on, with 100% certainty.

I think the visual clues we get of a ships condition we have now are enough. The game really doesn't seem like it's trying to spoon feed us. That's why the hud doesn't do things like set off big visual notices when components are getting trashed, for example. It's up to US to be aware.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 01:27:50 am by Morblitz »

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 02:29:22 am »
I still like the idea of having a different sort of scope to vary the gameplay.  I always thought a range finder would be interesting.

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 05:20:31 am »
the thing is, a ships condition is already broadcasted to everyone in the game. i.e. the crumple effect as the perma health gets lower, the balloon deflates, and all components smoke when they are broken, glow gold when buffed, and glow white when coated in chem spray.

im all for variety in multi-player games but i feel like another scope that depends on the original scope wouldnt so much add variety as it would add clutter and confuse new players even more than they already are.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 05:23:29 am by JaegerDelta »

Offline GrimWinter

• Salutes: 2
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 05:04:34 pm »
I do think different scopes in general would be neat

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 05:19:10 pm »
I still like the idea of having a different sort of scope to vary the gameplay.  I always thought a range finder would be interesting.

Yessssssss. A lumberjack gunner would love that to death.

Offline Morblitz

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 35
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 09:42:53 am »
Probably why it will never exist :p

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 02:22:31 pm »

Yessssssss. A lumberjack gunner would love that to death.

i dont think it would be that helpful :P  think of the speeds involved in this game, and the 3d nature of movement.  In a 3d space,  the distance between targets (what a range finder measures) is a straight line, but where you aim the gun depends on if they are above you or below you.  the range finder would actually just be measuring the hypotenuse of a right triangle (where the right angle is formed by the intersection of a vertical line through the enemy ship and a horizontal line through your ship).  so you would actually have to find where the corner of the right triangle that represents the enemy ship intersects with an arc representing the path of the projectile starting from the corner on the triangle representing your ship.  and the arc of the projectile changes depending on ammo and weapon used. basically if you are super quick with trig (i just assumed the range finder could also determine angle because a range finder that couldnt would be completely useless :P) and had a wonderful understanding of the arc of the weapon being used. a range finder would be great :P
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 02:25:02 pm by JaegerDelta »

Offline Zenark

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 03:41:12 pm »
I imagine anyone willing to practice and learn how to use it in conjunction with the iron sights would be a terrifyingly accurate gunner. I know I'd use it.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 04:00:46 pm »
In an old game called Star Siege Tribes (the great grand daddy to Tribes Ascend) there was a device called the "targeting laser" When you shot something with the targeting laser it would put a vertical line on your HUD and the HUD of all your teammates. If your teammate had a shot drop weapon (grenade launcher or mortar) there would be two triangles on the line. One would be the point you needed to aim for a low angle ballistic trajectory, and the other for a high angle ballistic trajectory. Since the targeting laser counted as a gun you couldn't equip it and a mortar at the same time. However you could paint targets for your teammates. It might upset the skill balance if GOI had a similar device, but I think the device is worth bringing up in this discussion.

Offline Zenark

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 10:25:25 pm »
I remember that thing! Wow, it's been awhile.

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 10:35:09 pm »
I would love to see this Steampunk-ified.

Offline Crafeksterty

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 02:54:41 am »
Hammering a ship hard and then wondering why they are still alive is part of what makes this game great. You never quite know what is going on, with 100% certainty.

I think the visual clues we get of a ships condition we have now are enough. The game really doesn't seem like it's trying to spoon feed us. That's why the hud doesn't do things like set off big visual notices when components are getting trashed, for example. It's up to US to be aware.

How can we be aware when the armor is down? Atleast the new scope does not need to show Health but atleast Armor.
The display on the upper left corner is more confusing than ever. It shows who destroyed... some kind of hull. Dont know which though.

The thing is, it encourages Cordinated play, having it unknown is more confusing than having more scopes.
If your just sitting on a gun just firing away. You are doing it wrong, and that is what we see most of the time.

Basically, dont need to show the health sense the visual element allready does that. But atleast the armor.
There is no visual element to that and having it unknown gives a bad impression to newcomers. Beacause they are all like "When is it gonna go down allreaady?"
Having it displayed on the upper left corner is a bad design. There is even a button to hide the chat and the display. And that just ruins your play.
What makes this game great is cordination. Not not knowing when they are gonna die when clearly you are shooting at them without timing.

In the end, competetive play will ignore the scope as they know when the armor will go down most of the time. So they could put it up for something else. Its a scope that does not kill any element of the game. Heck, a skilled crew would find it a downgrade.

Offline Crafeksterty

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 03:04:32 am »
the thing is, a ships condition is already broadcasted to everyone in the game. i.e. the crumple effect as the perma health gets lower, the balloon deflates, and all components smoke when they are broken, glow gold when buffed, and glow white when coated in chem spray.

im all for variety in multi-player games but i feel like another scope that depends on the original scope wouldnt so much add variety as it would add clutter and confuse new players even more than they already are.

Then lets have less clutter, you just mentioned all visual elements for their engines, and buffed guns/engines same with health and baloon getting bad. But no Armor indication.
You dont know which ships condition is broadcasted. Try playing 3v3 and when ships go in clutter, the broadcasts wont make sense.

But in change to know that, either a visual element in itself for armor (Which i dont encourage because it will make things too easy) or this scope that forces the players to cordinate more. New guys will know when a ships armor is down or not this way. They will know "Oooh its like a shield". So they dont constantly shoot a ship with armor with the wrong gun.

I was thinking like seeing the armor bar, and if it is depleted it says "Vulnerable".

And trust me, the game is still being updated. The selection slots has more than enough space for different guns. Not only that they are making new ships for the game. We need this scope for the game to have more understanding on when to fire.