Author Topic: Practice Mode Suggestions  (Read 5574 times)

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Practice Mode Suggestions
« on: July 07, 2013, 01:54:55 pm »
At the moment, practice mode is lacking a lot of features and only allows for rather basic testing. Here are some things that I think would really be a big help for new players and old hands alike:

-More maps. I know this has been suggested multiple times, but I feel that it should be a higher priority. It's nice to be able to try stuff out on Dunes, but in all honesty that's one of the maps where practice is least valuable, being mostly open. Captains would be able to get a lot of benefit out of familiarizing themselves with the layouts of maps like Canyon Ambush and Paritian Rumble
-Loadouts switchable mid-practice. It opens up a lot more room for experimentation without having to constantly start new practices.
-Multi-ship practices. Say I want to help a friend learn the ropes in piloting. It's hard to do that in a normal match. This would also help out in testing different gun loadouts, since the practice dummies aren't great references.
-AI ships. Stationary ships that can be controlled in various ways. There could be an option to have their engineers repair, have them shoot at you, or do nothing. Once again, this would really help out people who are trying new loadouts on their ships.
-Selective component damage. Right now, there are two options for dealing damage to certain components on a ship in practice. You either use a pilot tool like chute vent or moonshine, or walk up to the component and use the damage button. This isn't really enough. I'd like to be able to customize different "scenarios" and then bind them to keys. For example, you could simulate Gatling fire by setting the key for a certain amount of damage per second. You could simulate a merc hit by instantly destroying a certain component. It'd be a great way to see how the ship can do against certain things before trying them out in real matches.

Anywyas, those are e few features I'd like to see in the future.

Offline Nidh

• Salutes: 16
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Practice Mode Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 04:36:43 pm »
I'd like to see different dummy ship types as well. For example, if I want to know how long it would take to bring down, say, a Galleon with a certain loadout.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
Re: Practice Mode Suggestions
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 03:06:53 am »
not so sure about the practicing of maps - you learn them by playing them for me.

I think the current changes to sandbox are awesome - I used to train new players there and had to rely on pilot tools to simulate damage, moving the ship to help with leading for the static targets etc. - and as an aside I feel that the tutorials are giving players the wrong idea - most level1s seem to think completing the tutes makes them competent in their roles.

That said I agree with Nidh being able to spawn ships with given load outs would be a boon, though I lean more towards 1 v 1 matches rather than a drone type ship.