Author Topic: Turn/slip indicators on guns  (Read 4085 times)

Offline Seamus S

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
Turn/slip indicators on guns
« on: May 25, 2013, 09:47:27 pm »
Often, when on a gun it is impossible to tell the direction your ship is moving or turning. This makes it extremely difficult to factor ship movement into aiming. If I were a gunner on a ship, and I had this problem, the first thing I would do is place a small flag (or even a bit of yarn on a stick) in my field of view. This would give me at least a basic idea of the direction wind was moving over my gun, and thus how to adjust my aim.

Given that I have seen tiny flags flying off ropes all over ships, it doesn't seem that something like this would be hard to add in. Does anyone else think that this is a good idea?

Offline Moo

• Salutes: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Turn/slip indicators on guns
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 10:41:38 pm »
Yes. When you're looking through the gun, especially when you're in a cloud, there's no real way of knowing which of the enemy ship, your ship, or the cloud is moving...

Offline Barbariandude

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Turn/slip indicators on guns
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 03:17:09 pm »
Personally, I rather like that as it gives a lot more incentive for the pilot to communicate with the gunners, and it adds an element of skill to shooting (as long as you're communicating with your crew, that is)