Author Topic: The Mobula  (Read 324452 times)

Offline Arthem White

• Salutes: 11
    • View Profile
Re: The Manta Ray
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2013, 01:26:29 pm »
the real joy wasn't so much turning. . it was moving up and down. . i started to move up and the entire ship seesawed upward at least 20 degrees as it nearly instantly reached the max height. . . and then i decided to try this with hydrogen, . . which led to the destruction of my ship. . . . . . .  via hitting the ground. . .

How does that happen? You went so far that the speed value overflowed and turned out negative? Did you hit the moon?

Offline LordFunPants

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 49
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2013, 01:31:48 pm »
pretty much what happened was i quickly smacked into the height ceiling, now the way thats programmed is that it doesn't just automatically stop you once you reach max height, it simply bounces you back depending on how fast you go, think of it like a giant rubber band. .. so i rose and i kept rising essentially pushing against a giant rubber band in the sky at the "Speed of light", . . and then i let go. . . and with in a blink of an eye i see my ship explode as it was flung back at the speed of light against the ground. . . 

Offline Arthem White

• Salutes: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2013, 01:39:02 pm »
pretty much what happened was i quickly smacked into the height ceiling, now the way thats programmed is that it doesn't just automatically stop you once you reach max height, it simply bounces you back depending on how fast you go, think of it like a giant rubber band. .. so i rose and i kept rising essentially pushing against a giant rubber band in the sky at the "Speed of light", . . and then i let go. . . and with in a blink of an eye i see my ship explode as it was flung back at the speed of light against the ground. . .

Ooooh that's why on my Squid I often kept rising despite my altimeter being at the highest, I get it :). That's got to be useful to make a "jump" over certain mountain formations.

Offline LordFunPants

• Muse Games
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2013, 01:50:13 pm »
its the exact reason its there, gives larger ships a chance to "hop" over higher obstacles

Offline Gorath

• Salutes: 8
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2013, 05:04:59 pm »
Okay, I've been having a lot of thoughts about this guy and I've made my decision. Assuming by looking at the thin-ish horizontal profile and the need for massive turning rudders, I'm going to say this thing moves forward alright but turns like a slug. I really, really, really think the front lower guns should be heavy mounts.

Let me explain:

Two heavy weapons faced forward on the front of this ship and one light weapon will give this thing the same profile as the port-side of a galleon, but the Ray will be able to approach and retreat with this side. This is something that has not been addressed yet in GoI and, if applied, will give the Ray a very important niche in the current meta: addressing the balance issues and fusses posed by heavily dug-in and skilled sniper builds without moving to have those builds nerfed... so as not to piss off the most devoted players =P Keep snipes viable, but throw in a new contender to counter that tactic. Encamped snipers won't want to tangle with a double-heavy front end that's on the approach, forcing them to stay mobile instead of outgun it. This should mix things up a little, and give the paddling a run for their money :9

Two heavies will also give light, mobile ships more of a chance to dodge the fire off the front of this thing. Drop this thing into ambush mode with gat-flak trifecta at the front it's just going to be the same awkward 5-second fight every time you encounter one.

The long reload times of heavy weapons will give gunners a chance to repair  connected turn engines since the captain will likely be phoenix clawing *nonstop* with this ship, and new players will be encouraged to hop off the gun for a moment and fix things. Also, wouldn't this thing look ****ing awesome with two hwachas at the front? You bet.

The smaller turn radii of heavy weapons will also keep people dissuaded from going for the awkward and dreaded quadfecta... I mean, come on.

A tunnel connecting all the front guns seems necessary for switching guns between two dedicated gunners and one engi, allowing gunners to slide left or right if well organized in response to ships trying to flank. The ship will have a very interesting meta of "SLIDE STARBOARD" for ships approaching on the right. I would also keep the hull somewhere close to that top gun, where the main engi will likely stay, so he has the same sort of setup as the front man on the junker.

And I'll be honest, I have NO idea where the balloon on this thing would be, but I imagine the hull being within that covered part at the top, with maybe a hatch leading down to it from up there. The balloon seems very well-protected from above (vs lumberjack and carronade) so I imagine the balloon off in no-man's land somewhere. So any ship sneaking underneath to hit the balloon will really catch this guy off-guard and move one of the gunners away from offense, which could be a good balance feature. I imagine this beast having a really strong core hull.

What do you guys think? :D

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2013, 06:06:53 pm »
the real joy wasn't so much turning. . it was moving up and down. . i started to move up and the entire ship seesawed upward at least 20 degrees as it nearly instantly reached the max height. . . and then i decided to try this with hydrogen, . . which led to the destruction of my ship. . . . . . .  via hitting the ground. . .

I wonder why that happened ;P

Need a rework on hydro!! :D

Offline Wazulu

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 39
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2013, 06:43:55 pm »
Hmm, I thought maximum vertical velocity was capped at 12m/s? Then again, I was actually thinking that this ship could have the fastest vertical acceleration, and was dreaming up some nice moves for it.

Offline maitreya

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2013, 10:54:59 pm »
Now if only we could get actual in-game renders of it and start postulating with a tad more accuracy. Would adore being able to fly something new, just don't feel a real "fit" with the present ships.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2013, 11:41:15 pm »
Here's another idea for a build.

Front merc or Artemis
Left gatflak
Right merc or Artemis / mine launcher

One merc, one Artemis. You get the long range merc/Artemis combo, gatflak with Artemis for trifecta, and a mine launcher. The choice between which gun to have on the front depends on whether you want to focus on long or short range. Putting the merc there lets you backpeddle better, but the Artemis up there gives you 45° of extra trifecta arc.

This could be a really versatile build.

Offline LordFunPants

• Muse Games
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2013, 11:56:19 pm »
Now if only we could get actual in-game renders of it and start postulating with a tad more accuracy. Would adore being able to fly something new, just don't feel a real "fit" with the present ships.

i have to admit i am tempted to show some pics i took while running around a Work in Progress mesh with unfinished textures . . .

Offline maitreya

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2013, 12:00:21 am »

i have to admit i am tempted to show some pics i took while running around a Work in Progress mesh with unfinished textures . . .

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2013, 12:39:07 am »
I humbly request that you present us with some more pictures of this wonderful aircraft.... I would like to provide those gents with another reason not to get you (if you need and explanation of that go here: https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,1006.0.html) of course with Howard's ok on the matter :))

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2013, 01:37:14 am »
Yes pics plz!! :D.

Also anything on the mine layer!

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2013, 01:59:07 am »
I kinda want to be totally surprised by how this ship functions.  I wouldn't mind videos of just collision detection and debugging stuff being performed, that would be pretty cool.  As long as what was happening wasn't an accurate showing of what the ship is intended to perform like.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2013, 02:04:42 am »
-Low mass
-High armor
-Low hull
-Moderate speed
-Slow turn speed
-High vertical speed

Names: Locus, Flap Jack

Two heavy guns in the lower ports and three light guns on the top would be very cool.